Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
WitchHunter

Trench Coat or somthing simmilar...

Okay, so my old trench coat that I had was from Tripp when i had just started getting into dressing gothic, I want to buy a new one now, but I do not want to buy it from Hot Topic or Tripp just because I have gotten tired of watching my clothes fall appart the day I get home from the store. Unfortunently I do not really have any skills in making my own stuff. What I would really like is somthing different from what everyone else has, of course, maybe somthing like a Jack Sparrow type coat... My main problem is that I really dont know where to buy this kind of stuff besides hot topic or maybe ebay... Does anyone know any good ideas for somthing like that and where to get it?

Thanks! (srry i'll try to make shorter posts after this...)
WitchHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:46 AM   #2
Twizted Whispers

you could try ebay.
Twizted Whispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:44 AM   #3
chelseagirl

They can be a bit pricey, but www.x-tra-x.de pretty much has the largest selection of "gothy" outerwear I've seen. They have lots of male styles too, including trench coat type stuff.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
Crying_Crimson_Tears

eBay is your best friend, trust me. I actually got my trench coat from KMart last year. I bought a coat from Hot Topic that was branded Tripp for a friend last year, and it fell apart in a few months. So I would say eBay is your best friend.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
Parafrosnyi

Does that website deliver to the US? If so then the fuck do I click on lol
Parafrosnyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
Bella Sophia

wait... trench coats are not "goth." They're metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_dreams
What the Hell is wrong with you!?!?! who the Hell kill's helpless and innocent babies? that's f***ing sick!!!
Don't you have anything better to do than pollute our forums?!?
Bella Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Sophia

*facepalm*

Did you know plain white dress shirts are very very goth? Also, I've seen lots of goths and rivitheads wear trench coats. Drac does it, apparently.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #8
Bella Sophia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
*facepalm*
o.o

.... Ow?

Anyway, I suppose rivetheads are exempt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_dreams
What the Hell is wrong with you!?!?! who the Hell kill's helpless and innocent babies? that's f***ing sick!!!
Don't you have anything better to do than pollute our forums?!?
Bella Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 PM   #9
Green.Lady

Quote:
That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a while. An article of clothing is simply that, an article of clothing. Trenchcoats existed eons before "metal" and "goth" existed.
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
Edward Strange

If you felt so inclined you could argue World War One was the most 'metal' of wars?

I do love my two trenchcoats, I do feel at times like I'm a bit of a clone, but they keep me warm and help me strike a rather dashing figure on a blustery day.
And to be honest, if I were to call them anything, I wouldn't call them Goth or Metal, I'd probably call them 'Neo!' (As in the Matrix, ya silly).

Isn't there a leather store somewhere nearby you could pop into?
As mentioned above, ebay is always good.
X-tra-x really does have the biggest online catalogue and they do ship to the States, if you can't find it, LOOK HARDER!

I thought I might throw in my own recommendation.
http://www.thedarkangel.co.uk/onlinestore.php

It's a bit pricey, but they are very unique if you fancied something special that is very far removed from the world of tripp trenchcoats. I was actually quite interested to see the Blue Banana has all but eliminated it's gothic section on it's website...
Obviously it's going out of fashion. I only bring them up because I got my PVC trenchie from them (which is cheaper than leather). I got my other one (which is leather) second hand from a friend.

Anyway. Good luck with the trenchcoat hunting!

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:45 PM   #11
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Strange
If you felt so inclined you could argue World War One was the most 'metal' of wars?
Fuck yeah it was. Kitchener wants YOU!

I bought my greatcoat from a military surplus dealer. It's 1950s issue, from Greece. Why the Greeks had woolen greatcoats is beyond me, though. I think they must have been sent there while Greece was in the British zone of occupation. Some kind of bureaucratic clusterfuck. Either way, it looks bad ass and is very warm.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #12
Clockwork

I know where you can find Jack Sparrow's coat, but it's on an already well-known site for buying coats anyway... plus, I don't want anyone going around wearing that exact replica. That would be silly.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #13
Lolly PopMuzik

Thrift stores/related chains, man. Tripp's stuff looks like it'll fall apart if you so much as think about giving it the Side Eye of Death.

American Apparel's (http://www.americanapparel.net/ I was a dumbass and gave out the wrong address last time) more worthy of buying from if Goodwill and TSA are a bust.

Some might suggest Ipso Facto but half of the stuff is too elaborate cookie cutter, unjustly inflated and barely DIYable for my taste.
Lolly PopMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #14
Parafrosnyi

Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
They can be a bit pricey, but pretty much has the largest selection of "gothy" outerwear I've seen. They have lots of male styles too, including trench coat type stuff.
Does the website deliver to the US?
Parafrosnyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #15
Wormboy

Quote:
Please, I implore you, jump off a bridge. Please?

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #16
Death653

Smile

I got a trench coat from www.redballs.com they have all kinds of coats the one I bought has lasted me many years I'm planing on buying from them again they are good. I hope this helps.
Death653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #17
TGK13

I think we've all learned our lessons about Tripp clothing. lol

My issue has always been price range.

@Bella Sophia bashers, everyone has to learn some time. What she said is like saying "goggles are strictly goth thing."
TGK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #18
Lilithamine

Quote:
*facepalm*

Did you know plain white dress shirts are very very goth?
I always wear white dress shirts under my coats or fishnets.
I shop believe it or not...at Target. and the clothes have lasted me for years.
Lilithamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #19
TGK13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilithamine View Post
I always wear white dress shirts under my coats or fishnets.
I shop believe it or not...at Target. and the clothes have lasted me for years.
I'll never understand it. Pay $50 for a shirt at Hot Topic, it rips and frays the next day, but spend $20 at Target and that bitch never dies!

Can't say I'm complaining, though.
TGK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #20
Elystan

As a goth who wears a trenchcoat and knows many other cod goths who do the same (I am of course the only real goth), I do have to admit that trenchcoats are first and foremost metal, as was my long viking hair and beard.

You could make an argument from the Sisters of Mercy but that doesn't really hold because that was velvet, not leather.

Real goths dress like Ian Curtis anyhow.
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:52 AM   #21
Joker_in_the_Pack

Sigh... Trench coats are long coats meant to be worn over a suit and are a proper "coat" as opposed to a jacket. A proper "trench coat" is specifically for rain and they date back to WWI. They're not "metal" they're not "goth", if anything they're military. Now SHUT UP.

In a non-asinine vein, has anyone ever had their coat tailored? I'm curious to see if it's worth it.

By tailored I mean having it fit more correctly and less like a tent with a vague shape.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #22
Solumina

I've had a bridge coat tailored, it was originally a men's coat but after the alterations you never would have known.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #23
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
I've had a bridge coat tailored, it was originally a men's coat but after the alterations you never would have known.
I have a rather normal looking business style trench coat that I hacked the belt off of but i bought it when I was 50 pounds heavier so now it looks like I stole it from a giant.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #24
Dolly Glass

Check out thrift stores, or in you're in the states, GoodWill, especially during the summer.
I bought a full length, men's trench coat made completely out of this lovely shade of burgundy leather, for only $10. From examining it once I got home I found that it was probably custom-made and therefor very expensive (not to mention old from the musty smell but a few days on the back porch cured the musty scent). Quite a steal in my opinion.

I've also found some pretty awesome leather jackets and fur coats in there for pretty cheap. (Unfortunately, living in Florida, there was really no point in buying most the items I've found because it only gets cold enough to where them MAYBE 3 months out of the year, but closer to 1 & half)
Dolly Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #25
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
I have a rather normal looking business style trench coat that I hacked the belt off of but i bought it when I was 50 pounds heavier so now it looks like I stole it from a giant.
Do it, tailoring a coat is worth it but I warn you it may not be cheap. When I had mine done it was about $60, which isn't too bad with how much work was done and that it not just taken in a standard size but custom fitted so there was lots of pinning and such involved, also they were exceptionally careful with the lining (I don't know if your coat is lined, typically that will drive up the cost a fair bit). If you just want them to take it down a couple of sizes it shouldn't be too much of a problem and could most likely be done in house at a typical dry cleaners, not a place that specializes in alterations.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote