Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
blu

Well, howdy.

I'm Blu, a 21 year-old female music performance major aiming for a doctorate in ethnomusicology.
My hobbies include sculpting and building Halloween and horror-related props. I have sold some of my projects in the past and am aiming to do this once more (money ftw). I am part of that curious breed known as the "yard haunter" and one of my chief joys in life is erecting an elaborate Halloween display every year around the end of October...we never receive very many TOT's (shame, parents these days are too paranoid), but I admit I do this mainly for myself and the clan. I'm more of a static haunter and rely on atmosphere and a "frozen moment in time" feel rather than excessive blood and gore to achieve the desired result. Been doing this on my own since I was 13...and happily learning more and expanding the display every year.

I also ride horses and am interested in planes, bivalves, and wunderkammern.

I hail from Creepy Desert Land, where, quite naturally, we entertain hordes of crazy mutant hill billies, Burning Man, random military bases, endless sagebrush (I do mean endless), moving rocks, and plenty o' that searing, healthy sunlight! (I have the scars from flesh-eating mole removal to prove it!)

Currently, I seem to be listening to a lot of classical music of the Romantic period (with minimalist modern stuff a close second), dark ambient, and industrial metal. Some of my favourite bands include Apocalyptica, Kammerheit, Alien Sex Fiend, Rammstein, Subheim, Combichrist, VNV Nation, Sisters of Mercy, Desiderii Marginis, Tiamat, Turmion Kätilöt, and Die Krupps.

Sweetened red bean paste goes with everything and I can never eat a sandwich normally. I also enjoy anatomy, fungi, amateur paranormal investigation, Victorian sensibilities, skirts worn with long socks, musing upon apocalyptic scenarios, theoretical physics, and the delicious smells of lemon verbena and seared pumpkin (not necessarily at once). In reading and film I gravitate toward sci-fi, psychological horror, and historical/historical fiction pieces. One of my favourite authors at the moment is Samuel R. Delany.

I haven't given my demise much thought, though I have decided I would like to be cremated, after my viable organs have been harvested...and I would prefer not dying "of old age".

Hmm...I apologise if I have rambled. Looking forward to participating here.
blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Ben Lahnger

Rambling of this sort is highly encouraged. This is a wonderfully vivid and well-painted introduction. We have a picture thread, and I hope that when October rolls around we'll get treated to a picture or two of the tableau you've created this year.

Welcome to this place. I look forward to your contributions.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
blu

Thank you very much Ben Lahnger, I would like nothing more than to share this year's display.

We do hope to (finally) be buying our own home and moving in to it within thirty day's time. Although I'm nearly certain of the property we'll be making an offer on, unfortunately my plans for this year have hitherto been delayed...as I've not known what my "working space" would look like...but, I remain confident I'll be able to pull something out of my hat and perhaps rehash some old ideas.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
ape descendant

Damn, well-rounded is a bit of an understatement with you.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
blu

I do try my best to not be lop-sided...
Old 07-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Fruitbat

I wish we did more Halloween stuff here.
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
ape descendant

Well... you could create some sort of monstrous thread, full of Halloween stuff. It could prove to be a source of amusement for all.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
blu

Mmmmm...Halloween stuff...*Homer gurgle*