Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 10-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #101
MegearaErotica

I didn't mean that the systems are the answer to everything, and if a woman isn't ready for a child, she should have thought about that beforehand, though I do realize that sometimes condoms split. If someone wants sex, they should use more than one precaution (birth control and a condom). It's up to all of us to make sure that coat hanger "accident" doesn't happen, because every child deserves a chance. Don't even try that 'it's only a pile of embryonic tissue' crap.
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #102
MegearaErotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
And that's a good enough reason to you to kill off a child?

First of all, not all group homes and foster care situations are bullshit.
Second, high school is bullshit. McDonald's food is bullshit. Living in slums is bullshit. Being treated badly by friends is bullshit.

Should we abort all babies because at one point they're going to experience some serious bullshit?
This is a very good example of what I've been thinking lately and what I've been trying to express to everyone.
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #103
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegearaErotica
I didn't mean that the systems are the answer to everything, and if a woman isn't ready for a child, she should have thought about that beforehand, though I do realize that sometimes condoms split. If someone wants sex, they should use more than one precaution (birth control and a condom). It's up to all of us to make sure that coat hanger "accident" doesn't happen, because every child deserves a chance. Don't even try that 'it's only a pile of embryonic tissue' crap.
We can't stop the coat hanger scenario. Its going to happen. All throughout history there has been abortion. There was a point where the Vatican thought it was okay because you didn't get a soul until a certain time in pregnancy. In Thailand they have this "massage" they can do on your stomach, its painful and it takes a few days but it detatches the placenta from the womb wall. There have been myriad methods of abortion over the history of mankind.

And for two types of birth control, even that isn't a surefire thing. Not many people I'm guessing will say "wait, I can't have sex, I'm not ready for a child." before they start having sex. Usually they will just think "well I gotta prevent that from happening." but it doesn't work. Then what?

And its not like people who have abortions take it as a casual thing. All the women I know who had them still think about it a lot, while they don't regret it they say its gonna be something they will think about for the rest of their lives. Its not an easy thing to do.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #104
MegearaErotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
And its not like people who have abortions take it as a casual thing. All the women I know who had them still think about it a lot, while they don't regret it they say its gonna be something they will think about for the rest of their lives. Its not an easy thing to do.
I know women and teens who had abortions and don't think about it at all except to say they're glad they didn't have to have the kid, but I also know women like you know who think about it all the time.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #105
Underwater Ophelia

Why the hell is no one responding to what I said?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #106
Saya

For teens I think it seems more one sided, you know? Like "Oh shit what am I gonna say to Mom." I know a thirteen year old who had an abortion, she never told her parents a thing, and she did it mostly out of fear of what they would say or do. Another friend, one of the ones I mentioned who think about it a lot, was 16 at the time and was very torn about it, she told everyone she had a miscarriage afterwards out of shame. She has a baby now though, she's very happy.

No matter it what, it comes down to that no one has the right to tell a scared girl or woman that she has to have the baby. I myself do believe it is murder, and I know I wouldn't be able to do it, but I shouldn't force my subjective view on someone else, and I just try my best to put myself in their shoes.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #107
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
I know women and teens
HAHA.

Women AND teens.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:05 PM   #108
MegearaErotica

Well, I wouldn't say teens are women. I just don't think we truely have the maturity and development to be considered adults yet. (I am 15.)
Old 10-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #109
MegearaErotica

Quote:
For teens I think it seems more one sided, you know? Like "Oh shit what am I gonna say to Mom."
Well, not really. A 16 year old actually said to me, "I thank God I didn't have to get stretch marks." when I wanted to know why she did it.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #110
viscus

Quote:
And that's a good enough reason to you to kill off a child?

First of all, not all group homes and foster care situations are bullshit.
Second, high school is bullshit. McDonald's food is bullshit. Living in slums is bullshit. Being treated badly by friends is bullshit.

Should we abort all babies because at one point they're going to experience some serious bullshit?
No, but not wanting to go through the stress and trauma of a full-term pregnancy seems like a fine reason to me.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #111
Saya

Quote:
Well, not really. A 16 year old actually said to me, "I thank God I didn't have to get stretch marks." when I wanted to know why she did it.
Honestly I'd find it hard to believe that that was her main reason.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #112
TheBloodEternity

Considering some of the girls I've met, that reason wouldn't surprise me all that much.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #113
MegearaErotica

Quote:
Honestly I'd find it hard to believe that that was her main reason.
It might not have been her only reason, but I'm pretty sure it was her main reason. The more I talked to her, the more concieted (sp?) she sounded.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #114
Cicero

Hey, on the topic of abortion a bill was just passed in the state of Victoria legalising abortions up to 24 weeks.

Hmmm... just a clump of cells at six fucking months?

I'm totally pro-choice, but damn, I'd hope anything carried out that late has some VERY good medical reasons backing it.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #115
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
No, but not wanting to go through the stress and trauma of a full-term pregnancy seems like a fine reason to me.
If you engage in an activity KNOWING the risks beforehand, you should be an adult and handle the consequences.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #116
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
Hey, on the topic of abortion a bill was just passed in the state of Victoria legalising abortions up to 24 weeks.

I'm totally pro-choice, but damn, I'd hope anything carried out that late has some VERY good medical reasons backing it.
That's...fucked up.
I don't support that.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #117
Saya

In Canada you can abort at any time, from conception to nine months. I do not support that, Christ you can give birth and put it up for adoption, you'll have to go through a birth anyway, but its unheard of to abort after three months unless the mother or baby is sick.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #118
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero

Is there any kind of clause in the law stating that anything after a certain term must have a medical reason or is it just anything up to 24 weeks is legal?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #119
viscus

Quote:
If you engage in an activity KNOWING the risks beforehand, you should be an adult and handle the consequences.
So, even with contraceptives in use, one shouldn't have sex without being 100% ready to have a baby?

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

Old 10-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #120
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
Is there any kind of clause in the law stating that anything after a certain term must have a medical reason or is it just anything up to 24 weeks is legal?
I'm pretty sure it's anything up to 24 weeks, no medical reasons necessary.

It was certainly passed under good intentions: women's rights to choose what happens to their bodies and prevention of harmful backyard abortions, but I can only hope it doesn't get taken advantage of by idiots who just decide at 6 months they don't want a kid. Also, since tests for things like Downs Syndrome can be done before 24 weeks, I can imagine a majority of the late abortions will be of foetuses diagnosed with those conditions. I don't even know what to think of that.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #121
Despanan

Quote:
McDonald is always harmful.
For the record, McDonald's is not always harmful. I'd say 90% of the time you shouldn't be having it, but if you're actually at an extremely high level of activity the crazy amount of calories can actually be beneficial from time to time.

A prefect example is Micheal Phelps, or a Thru-Hiker. When I was on the trail I was burning 6000+ calories per day. It was impossible to eat enough. In this instance, McDonald's food was actually healthy for me, and kept me from dropping dangerously underweight.

But yeah, unless your metabolism is moving at the rate of a professional athlete, you probably should lay off the Big Macs.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #122
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
So, even with contraceptives in use, one shouldn't have sex without being 100% ready to have a baby?
No, but I think these people should be able to deal with the consequences without ending a life.

If you're financially unstable, you should be allowed to have sex, yes, because if you can't afford a baby, you can give it up.

If you don't want to deal with the "trauma and stress" of having a baby, don't have sex.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #123
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan
For the record, McDonald's is not always harmful. I'd say 90% of the time you shouldn't be having it, but if you're actually at an extremely high level of activity the crazy amount of calories can actually be beneficial from time to time.

A prefect example is Micheal Phelps, or a Thru-Hiker. When I was on the trail I was burning 6000+ calories per day. It was impossible to eat enough. In this instance, McDonald's food was actually healthy for me, and kept me from dropping dangerously underweight.

But yeah, unless your metabolism is moving at the rate of a professional athlete, you probably should lay off the Big Macs.
Dude.
No it wasn't.

Having a shit ton of calories didn't make it healthy. It just meant you could eat less and get more out of it.

It was still packed with fat, salt, and cholesterol.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #124
viscus

Quote:
No, but I think these people should be able to deal with the consequences without ending a life.

If you're financially unstable, you should be allowed to have sex, yes, because if you can't afford a baby, you can give it up.

If you don't want to deal with the "trauma and stress" of having a baby, don't have sex.
I don't think that's very reasonable, given human sexual dynamics. And I wouldn't downplay the amount of trauma involved in pregnancy, either.

Anyways, it's all going to come back to the "it is a person?" question that we both will always disagree on, which is the main reason I'm largely over any abortion debate.

-William S. Burroughs

Old 10-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #125
Despanan

..and at that point, fat and salt was what my system was severely lacking (not sure about the Cholestorol).

If you're drinking over nine liters of water per day and still ending up needing more, if your clothes are so sweat-soaked that a black shirt literally turns white, and you can't carry enough food to keep your salt and fat levels where they need to be (There was a point where I lost 40 lbs in as many days.), McDonald's is a welcome change.

Now even then, if I was eating it every day, it would've been very bad for me, But once a week, it was all that kept some guys going.

Back in the 80's (before backpacking foods were readily available) Thru-hikers used to drink Parkay straight just to keep from burning off all their fat. Even today, some people finish the whole thing looking like Heroine addicts they've lost so much weight.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote