Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #76
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post

Ophelia, how does it sound if we change the word "gays" to "blacks"? And why would you be concerned about discrimination against the mentally handicapped but not about discrimination against gays? What kind of world-view do you have to have to make those two different things?

Or have you joined with the hateful children of this Mississippi high school in blaming Constance for the turn of events?
It was a private event. Do I think it's mean? Yes, I do. At a private event, however, it's not really "wrong" to discriminate against anyone, be the person gay, black, or mentally handicapped.

I asked the question about the mentally handicapped kids because the student defending the private prom made the claim that the event was held SOLELY because they didn't want any of Constance's drama. If that were true, Constance would have been excluded, and not the mentally handicapped kids who had nothing to do with it.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:18 AM   #77
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
It was a private event. Do I think it's mean? Yes, I do. At a private event, however, it's not really "wrong" to discriminate against anyone, be the person gay, black, or mentally handicapped.
I knew that was what you meant, and I said you're an idiot because that line of thought is bullshit; not only is that argument not true as there is no fucking way that the organisers of a private event like a concert, charity fundraiser, sports event or anything else you want to name would go unpunished, neither would the head of an institution or corporation, if it had a 'no blacks' policy which was brought to suit, despite the fact that they are privately funded, but you're also deliberately ignoring the context of the situation. Everybody involved in this ruse was affiliated with the district school in question. It is not beyond the realm of the school's responsibility, nor should it be, to punish every single student involved. If Constance was harrassed, abused or assaulted outside of school, the school would still take action because, though it is outside of their jurisdiction at the time of its occurence, they are still representatives of the institution. Your opinions are misheld and any factual basis you have for them is totally imagined.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #78
Ben Lahnger

It was a private event held at a public venue, which does make discrimination wrong. It's why you can't have separate areas in a restaurant for blacks and whites. Imagine the headlines if the kids held a party at a public location where the black kids were not invited.

Also, you seem to suggest that the kids' rhetoric about not wanting to deal with Constance's drama is legitimate. That suggest that you, like the hateful children of that Mississippi high school, think she is to blame. Why couldn't they have said they didn't want any more of the school board's drama and made sure Constance was invited. Because they blamed her for the school board's actions, even though all she wanted was the same privilege they got to enjoy - bringing the date of their choice to the prom.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #79
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
I knew that was what you meant, and I said you're an idiot because that line of thought is bullshit; not only is that argument not true as there is no fucking way that the organisers of a private event like a concert, charity fundraiser, sports event or anything else you want to name would go unpunished, neither would the head of an institution or corporation, if it had a 'no blacks' policy which was brought to suit, despite the fact that they are privately funded, but you're also deliberately ignoring the context of the situation. Everybody involved in this ruse was affiliated with the district school in question. It is not beyond the realm of the school's responsibility, nor should it be, to punish every single student involved. If Constance was harrassed, abused or assaulted outside of school, the school would still take action because, though it is outside of their jurisdiction at the time of its occurence, they are still representatives of the institution. Your opinions are misheld and any factual basis you have for them is totally imagined.
Jesus Christ. My opinion isn't misheld because it's not your opinion.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #80
JCC

Quote:
Jesus Christ. My opinion isn't misheld because it's not your opinion.
"Waaaaah we're all entitled to our own opinions!" Get fucked. You try to create this image of yourself as some kind of ultra-aggressive arbiter of justice who cuts through people's bullshit, and when you're clearly wrong I'm just not respecting your right to an opinion and should leave you alone? What a fucking hypocrite you are.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #81
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
It was a private event held at a public venue, which does make discrimination wrong. It's why you can't have separate areas in a restaurant for blacks and whites. Imagine the headlines if the kids held a party at a public location where the black kids were not invited.
Once again, I'm not saying it's not mean to exclude her. I'm not saying I personally don't feel the kids should be punished. I'm just saying that there is no law that says you can't exclude the girl you don't like from a party. Since the kids are claiming it's not about her being gay, there's no real legal case.

Now I never said if I believe that's why the kids didn't invite her, so fuck off trying to make it sound like I did.

Quote:
Also, you seem to suggest that the kids' rhetoric about not wanting to deal with Constance's drama is legitimate. That suggest that you, like the hateful children of that Mississippi high school, think she is to blame. Why couldn't they have said they didn't want any more of the school board's drama and made sure Constance was invited. Because they blamed her for the school board's actions, even though all she wanted was the same privilege they got to enjoy - bringing the date of their choice to the prom.
Most high school kids are stupid. (shut up, JCC, YES, they are. Considering most PEOPLE are stupid, most high school students are stupid) It's easy to understand them blaming her. Again, I'm not saying I think it's ok or acceptable.

I'm not clear why you seem to want me to be a homophobe when I'm queer myself.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #82
Underwater Ophelia

Quick reminder--I didn't cancel any prom or stage any fake prom. If you want me to clarify something I've said, ask me to in a respectful and adult way. I'm not really concerned with defending my personal beliefs to those who disagree with them, but certainly I don't mind explaining them.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:42 AM   #83
JCC

Quote:
Quick reminder--I didn't cancel any prom or stage any fake prom. If you want me to clarify something I've said, ask me to in a respectful and adult way.
Ahahahahaha.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #84
Ben Lahnger

I'm resurrecting this thread because the lawsuit was settled.

Mississippi school pays damages to lesbian teen over prom dispute

July 20, 2010 1:14 p.m. EDT

SOURCE

A school district in Mississippi has agreed to pay a recent high school graduate $35,000 in damages and adopt a policy prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation, according to a statement released Tuesday by the American Civil Liberties Union.

The settlement comes after the ACLU sued the school district in Fulton, Mississippi, on behalf of Constance McMillen, a lesbian teen who was told by Itawamba Agricultural High School officials she and her girlfriend would be ejected if they attended the school-sponsored prom.

The agreement, which was filed Tuesday, ends the lawsuit.

"I'm so glad this is all over. I won't ever get my prom back, but it's worth it if it changes things at my school," McMillen said in a statement released Tuesday.

The prom, originally scheduled for April 2, was eventually canceled by school board officials who previously said they reached their decision based on "the education, safety and well-being of [its] students."

Officials at McMillen's former high school are not commenting at this time, and a call to the north Mississippi school district seeking comment Tuesday wasn't immediately returned.

According to the ACLU statement, McMillen "suffered humiliation and harassment after parents, students and school officials executed a cruel plan to put on a decoy prom for her while the rest of her classmates were at a private prom 30 miles away."

McMillen believes the alternative prom she was sent to was a sham because only a handful of people attended. "A lot of people were talking about how it was a joke just set up for me," she previously said.

In March, a federal judge ruled that McMillen's First Amendment rights were violated when her school district refused to let her attend her prom in a tux with a girl.

That was good news, said her attorney, Christine Sun, senior counsel with the ACLU's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender project. It set a precedent and helped broadcast an important statement, which was made stronger by virtue of where it came from, she said.

"We're in a conservative area of the country, where people tend to think we can do what we like," said Sun, who lives in New York but has traveled multiple times to Mississippi on McMillen's behalf. "This case sends a strong message that that's not going to fly anymore."

In 2004, the national gay rights group GLSEN -- the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network -- issued a report that said of all 50 states, Mississippi had the most hostile environment for gay youths.

"We hope this judgment sends a message to schools that they cannot get away with discriminating against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students," said Bear Atwood, interim legal director at the ACLU of Mississippi.

Since McMillen's name made national headlines, the lesbian teen advocate has served as the grand marshal for New York's Gay Pride Parade, she received a $30,000 college scholarship from an anonymous donor, and a Facebook page called "Let Constance Take Her Girlfriend to Prom!" had attracted nearly 410,000 fans as of Tuesday.

"It means a lot to me," McMillen said. "The amount of support helps me to continue with the fight."

Ben - I hope that $35,000 judgment stings enough that they never consider doing anything like this again.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #85
Razeal18

hooray the ACLU strike again! They are the chosen ones (dramatic theramin music) let us hope their name is luke and not anakin.(dramatic drums)

In all seriousness I am happy with the outcome.
If the school had kept regular prom (i.e. not cancelling then throwing a "sham prom") and the rest of the student body had organized, paid for, planned, and invited everyone but her then they would legally be in the clear. Also In economic times like these 35,000 probubly stings a hell of a lot worse than we think. especially to a state like Mississippi.
Razeal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #86
JCC

Awesome news.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #87
ssj_goku

I just joined that group. This is very cool news.
ssj_goku is offline   Reply With Quote