Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 10-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #126
Despanan

Thanks Versus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
Yeah, he ran 26 miles. If you can actually run 2 miles in 13 minutes, a nice easy pace should be pretty simple for you on a 26 mile run. Despanan's speed was about 6 miles an hour.
It was six miles an hour for the first 9 miles or so. After that the heat came up and the cramping set it.

I'm still worried that I may have permanently injured my knee because I kept running despite the cramps and the muscle spasms. By the end of the damn thing I could only walk. now I have pain simply walking home from work.

Running 26.2 miles is way more than being able to hit a comfortable pace and having the endurance to keep it up. I learned that the hard way.

Quote:
That's really impressive. I had no idea that Despanan was so athletic. I'm a decent runner myself, but I've never run more than 8-9 miles at once.
Before I ran, I walked the entire Appalachian Trail. I sorta have a thing for extreme endurance challenges.

Quote:
Me neither. Judging how much I hated 8, I imagine 30 as being far beyond my reach... Someone should ask Despanan what he does to train.
Not enough. I basically just tried to run 2-6 times a week and do greater and greater distances. I started out doing 2-3 miles without stopping, then went up to six, and then to twelve. I should've kept pushing myself beyond that, but work and life got in the way. I'm going to be following an actual, official training regiment for the next one, assuming my knee gets better. One of my major problems during training was shin splints, which I kept developing partly because I'm a big dude with flattish feet, and most runners are tiny, super-skinny guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #127
ape descendant

Shin splints hurt really bad... they can definitely put a damper on time in track and field.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #128
Versus

Ah. I don't think it was a matter of your physical ability, but your mental ability, then. There is a lot to be said about that.

Also, shin splints suck. I used to get them a lot when I first started running. Something I try to do is change my pace. Usually my calves hurt if I run slow, and my thighs/hamstring hurt when I run fast, so I alternate if one muscle group needs a break.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #129
ape descendant

Oh? What does it say about my mental abilities?

Be Kind
Old 10-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #130
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
Oh? What does it say about my mental abilities?
You're silly. I was talking to Despanan about his ability to endure self-inflicted punishment.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:24 AM   #131
TheFeatheredÆtheling

I got pretty bad shin splints for the first month and a half or so when I began regularly running. However, one week they just vanished. I don't really know what happened. The worst problem I had with distance running was with my feet. After a year or so of consistent, weekly running, the arches in my feet fell considerably. They were really high to begin with so it isn't a problem in itself, but my shoe size increased by at least 1/2 (and size 14 is damn hard to find).

Also, have any of you run for more than an hour at a time in a cotton shirt that chafes you to the point of bleeding? Needless to say, I found out why sports clothing isn't made of cotton.
TheFeatheredÆtheling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:22 AM   #132
Versus

The same thing happened with me. I think I got so used to shin splints that I didn't notice when I stopped getting them. And I haven't really had an problems with my feet, except for maybe about a week ago. I think I sprained a foot during training or something, because I had this sharp pain on the side when I walked. I looked pretty dumb stepping on the outside of my foot when I ran. And size 7 is also harder to find. :x

I've never run with a cotton shirt, but I know what you mean. My uniforms are made of 50% cotton, 50% nylon. The inside of my thighs chafe sometimes, but I kind of have callouses from it so it doesn't bother me as much anymore. I think the worst experience I had with chafing was when I was deployed. During the summer when it was like 130 degrees in the day, I would be sweating pretty much non-stop. There were times when I had to go a couple days without a shower, so all the salt from my sweat would get trapped in my skin. I think it's called prickly hit? Anyway, it's very uncomfortable. What made it so bad was that my body armor with all my equipment attached to it was easily 40 pounds, and it would often rub against my back, shoulders, and sides when I ran around with it. It would pretty much sand the already sensitive skin off me, and then do it to the scabs the next day. Just laying down hurt. I had to chose from either loosening it and risking it getting caught on stuff like doorways, or keep it tight like normal and just make it worse.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #133
Catch

Yah, I think it was in Kansas again, there was a couple who owned a hotel. If someone checked in who was single woman without children, they'd kill her. They figured no one was looking for them. Well they did get away with it for quite a long time.

Yep, talking about empathizing with women and women's thoughts and the importance of their individual life is justed a wasted activity with some people.

Don't go to Kansas.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #134
TheFeatheredÆtheling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
You're silly. I was talking to Despanan about his ability to endure self-inflicted punishment.
Miss Descendant, stop being silly; you know very well that gnet is no place for that sort of thing.

Quote:
...I think the worst experience I had with chafing was when I was deployed. During the summer when it was like 130 degrees in the day, I would be sweating pretty much non-stop. There were times when I had to go a couple days without a shower, so all the salt from my sweat would get trapped in my skin. I think it's called prickly hit? Anyway, it's very uncomfortable. What made it so bad was that my body armor with all my equipment attached to it was easily 40 pounds, and it would often rub against my back, shoulders, and sides when I ran around with it. It would pretty much sand the already sensitive skin off me, and then do it to the scabs the next day. Just laying down hurt. I had to chose from either loosening it and risking it getting caught on stuff like doorways, or keep it tight like normal and just make it worse.
Versus, that sounds painful; it also sounds TOTALLY BAD-ASS!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #135
TheFeatheredÆtheling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
Yah, I think it was in Kansas again, there was a couple who owned a hotel. If someone checked in who was single woman without children, they'd kill her. They figured no one was looking for them. Well they did get away with it for quite a long time.
Catch, that reminds me of a Klaus Kinski movie I saw once called "Crawlspace". I love 80's horror films...
Old 10-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #136
ape descendant

Quote:
Oh... my mistake... I must have misunderstood, as I had no way of knowing it was for Despanan and was directly under what I had said, how silly of me.

Be Kind
Old 10-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #137
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFeatheredÆtheling View Post
Catch, that reminds me of a Klaus Kinski movie I saw once called "Crawlspace". I love 80's horror films...
Okay, it still doesn't change that everyone is still talking about the unborn child's rights or the father's rights and it feels as though woman are being treated as hallow objects with the only purpose in life to satisfy a man or raise children.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #138
Versus

Quote:
Versus, that sounds painful; it also sounds TOTALLY BAD-ASS!!!
Hardly.

Quote:
Oh... my mistake... I must have misunderstood, as I had no way of knowing it was for Despanan and was directly under what I had said, how silly of me.
I know what it looked like, and I might have thought the same thing, too. I didn't realize it until after you said something. I'm sorry about the confusion.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #139
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
Okay, it still doesn't change that everyone is still talking about the unborn child's rights or the father's rights and it feels as though woman are being treated as hallow objects with the only purpose in life to satisfy a man or raise children.
No... people are now talking about exercise and the various consequences of such.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #140
TheFeatheredÆtheling

Quote:
Hardly.
Alright, Versus. It was probably a presumptuous thing for me to say, but there's a part of me that regrets not having served as a soldier.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #141
TheFeatheredÆtheling

Quote:
That's Western individualism for you.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #142
KontanKarite

Aethling, that's a weird comment. Who made you feel guilty for not serving? Plus, as much as it sounds totally bad ass to be a service member, you COULD just join the peace corps. It's just as relevant and honestly, you're doing something a bit more humanitarian.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #143
TheFeatheredÆtheling

Yeah, I suppose you're right. My life isn't at all empty, and I'm actually quite satisfied for the most part. I don't feel guilty, though I can't help but to wonder about how I'd react under the stress of life and death. Would I be brave or a coward? I suppose that serving as a soldier in all of its physical and psychological hardship just seems like a great test to me.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #144
KontanKarite

You know, Aethling... That's not even a good enough answer. If you want something challenging as fuck, hit the appalachian trail and hike the whole thing from end to end.

We make soldiers every day. But a 2000 miler through hiker is pretty fucking rare.

I mean, if you're thinking that doing the service just for the challenge is worth something, then I would encourage you to go Navy SEAL.

Also, when you're talking about the psychological challenges... Dude, many service members don't come back quite right. Why risk it?

Old 10-24-2010, 11:05 PM   #145
TheFeatheredÆtheling

You're so damn practical, Kontan. Never mind.

I do love hiking though...
Old 10-24-2010, 11:07 PM   #146
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFeatheredÆtheling View Post
Yeah, I suppose you're right. My life isn't at all empty, and I'm actually quite satisfied for the most part. I don't feel guilty, though I can't help but to wonder about how I'd react under the stress of life and death. Would I be brave or a coward? I suppose that serving as a soldier in all of its physical and psychological hardship just seems like a great test to me.
I think you're thinking too much into it. From my experience, there really wasn't that kind of thought process. I think everyone is scared, but what allows us to do what needs to be done is training. It allows what would normally be a fight or flight response to become muscle memory. Just a reaction. Honestly, before I got used to it, I didn't think about what I was doing at first. Once the initial shock of contact wore off, my focus could somewhat expand to what wasn't immediately in front of me.

I think the problem, though, is that at some point it effects your normal life. I'm fortunate in that my only issues are I don't like when people move my things, I don't like crowds, I don't like noises I can feel, and I don't like barbecued chicken.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:09 PM   #147
Versus

Quote:
I mean, if you're thinking that doing the service just for the challenge is worth something, then I would encourage you to go Navy SEAL.
This.Invisible text!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #148
KontanKarite

No, I get exactly what you mean. Trust me, I understand how the concept of being a service member is almost like pure bad ass glory and there's SOME aspects to it that truly is badass.

I'm just saying that there ARE more benevolent ways to be a hero.

Be a fire fighter
Be an EMT
Be a nurse
Be a doctor
Be a social worker
Be a humanitarian
Be a school teacher
Be a coach
Be a cop

But I will say that in my time studying in the Hospital corps for the Navy, there were days when their mission seemed almost holy. Conceptually, just for pure bad ass factor, I can't really think of anything more bad ass than a Marine field medic. Seriously, look that stuff up. The Hospital Corps is the most decorated Medal Of Honor recipients in our nation's history.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:19 PM   #149
TheFeatheredÆtheling

I think I know what you mean, Versus. I'm not complaining... Like I said, I'm blessed right now. 'Just one of those things I wonder about sometimes.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #150
TheFeatheredÆtheling

Kontan, exactly.