Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
Gothic Piano

The Dead

The dead of night can be so cold
Wondering things in the moonlight
Vampires kissing the necks of their prey
Killing them one by one
Just so that they can live again
Will the sun ever arise?
Untill sunrise the shadow of death will be present
Killing whomever it desires
Untill the next sunrise

Pleading and bleading that death won't knock on my door
Only a luster untill it will go away
It goes when the sun arises from its sleep
Vengeance will be mine
Untill the next sunrise

Can anyone here me?
Or is all dead?
"Awake!" I scream.
But none breath a breath of life
I'm now alone waiting for its death's shadow
Untill the next sunrise

The sun wakes
Everything comes alive again
Restlessly I wonder
Is it all just a mask to cover what's underneath....
Gothic Piano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
raggedyanne

You are quite the literary genious. I like it.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:16 AM   #3
Skade

Your poem could be alright, but you need to work on some things. I've picked it apart to show you what needs improvement - if you seriously want to be good at writing poetry then consider reading all of the below and think about my advice. I'm not picking your poem apart to be mean to you, I'm doing it because I like giving criticism and because I think you have the potential to become good, if you work at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic Piano
The dead of night can be so cold
Wondering things in the moonlight
Did you mean "wandering?" "Wondering" doesn't make any sense in this context, so if that's what you meant you should reword it. "Dead of night" is a cliché, but it isn't a really bad one, so you could keep it if you like it. I would advise you to avoid any clichéd imagery in the first stanza though. You want to get your reader's attention by giving the impression that your poem is original and interesting, and clichés in the first line isn't exactly the way to go about this.

Quote:
Vampires kissing the necks of their prey
Killing them one by one
Just so that they can live again
Will the sun ever arise?
When you write poetry always think about whether you are using clichés or original language. Vampires is a cliché subject in itself, especially in dark poetry. So if you want to write about vampires, the most important thing to do is to make sure that you are using words and imagery as original as you possibly can.
"Kissing the neck of their prey" is very clichéd. Describing a vampire's bite as a kiss has been done to death (no pun intended). I'd strongly advice that you come up with a new description.

Quote:
Untill sunrise the shadow of death will be present
Killing whomever it desires
Untill the next sunrise
Again, watch the clichés. If you're ever in doubt about whether something is cliché, try googling it. Try googling "shadow of death" and you'll see how over-used that line is. It doesn't mean that you can never use words like "death" or "shadow", but if you want to use them well, you'll have to put them into a more original context.
Ending each stanza with the same line, "Untill the next sunrise", works well. However, I'm almost positive that "untill" is spelt "until". I'm not a native English speaker, so I could be wrong about this, but my dictionary agrees with me.

Quote:
Pleading and bleading that death won't knock on my door
Only a luster untill it will go away
It goes when the sun arises from its sleep
Vengeance will be mine
Untill the next sunrise
"Bleading"? Did you mean "bleeding"? If you meant "bleeding" it doesn't make any sense. It's also too simple a rhyme to sound good.
By "luster" I assume you meant "lustre". You need to work on your grammar.
I also think the rhythm would be better if you rewrte it to: "Only a lustre 'till it goes away". Try reading each stanza out loud. When you hear it spoken out loud it can be easier to hear if a line is a bit too long or awkward.

Quote:
Can anyone here me?
Or is all dead?
I'm assuming that you meant "hear" and not "here". Seriously, I can understand misspelling "lustre", but "hear"? At least try to make an effort.

Quote:
"Awake!" I scream.
But none breath a breath of life
I'm now alone waiting for its death's shadow
Untill the next sunrise
First line is ok, but "breath a breath of life" doesn't work at all. You'll need to rewrite it to: "But none breathes a breath of life". Personally I don't like "breathes" being closely followed by "breath". It seems like a bit of a childish alliteration in such a dark and serious poem. If you intended to use alliteration, it would look better if you did it a bit more consistenly. "Death's shadow" needs to stop reappearing in this poem. It's bad enough to use a cliché once, make sure you don't use the same one twice.

Quote:
The sun wakes
Everything comes alive again
Restlessly I wonder
Is it all just a mask to cover what's underneath....
I like this last stanza well enough. Like I said before, your poem has the potential to be quite good. You need to work on your grammar. If you mispell words all the time it will distract the reader.
Also, take my advice on clichés, I promise that it will improve your poetry a lot.
Skade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:55 AM   #4
Tin_Lizzie

Wow. It didn't take long for the old you to resurface, Bloopie.

Gothic Piano, interesting theme albeit a bit overwrought. The cliches detract from what you're reaching for here. Try to write without using the word "vampire," let it arise naturally from the images. There seems to be a point-of-view shift here, are you writing as prey or vamp? That needs to be clarified, because in the beginning you seem to fear dark but by the end you long for the day. Overall, the poem is quite atmospheric and it's worth a rewrite. Skade made lots of good suggestions. I second her comments.
Tin_Lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:59 AM   #5
Lykaios

Too many cliches. It's annoying.

Oh, and might I note that title is also the title of one of the greatest short stories ever, written by James Joyce? Thought I'd throw that in.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
Skade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopie
It will never end then. No one will ever develop their own sense of style, they will just keep writing like old and crappy poets forever as long as this kind of style is reinforced.

Here, let me give you a real critique. One that actually makes sense, and isn't a ton of LIES.
Here's some information for you: You're making yourself look like a complete twat. The criticism you posted was exactly what I said, only you said it while sounding like a teenager who thinks that using curse words makes them cool and that typing in all caps makes them intimidating or brutal.
I'd tell you that criticism needs to be constructive, not a screaming match, but unlike Gothic Piano, you're beyond hope.

Gothic Piano - almost everyone has the potential to write something decent if they work at getting better. I hope you won't let this idiot bother you, he isn't worth it.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:33 AM   #7
Skade

Bloopie, usually the only reason why I'd get myself involved in a flaming match would be if my opponent had any kind of actual wit. I'll have to make an exception in your case though, as someone is going to have to point out to you that the word "fuck" is clichéd.

I've really never read anything you've written before as I always assumed you were a troll. The fact that you have to spam someone else's thread about how YOU can WRITE makes you look rather desperate, and doesn't make me any more inclined to look up your work. Nor does the additional fact that you have an extremely infantile vocabulary. It might get your mom's attention when you say dirty words, but strangers will, at best, roll their eyes at you and move on. If you're really lucky you might meet someone on your own mental level some day, who might chuckle when you say things like "fuck" and "oral sex".

I have to admit that some of your responses in this thread did make me laugh though - I have this mental image of you snarling and drooling in rage as you furiously pound away at your keyboard and show us all how brutal you can be. Don't bother making any more replies though, prolonged arguing with someone underage or mentally disadvantaged isn't really my style. Then again, if you make another reply you get to feel like YOU WON. (I can't wait to see you fall for that bait)
Old 04-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skade
Bloopie, usually the only reason why I'd get myself involved in a flaming match would be if my opponent had any kind of actual wit. I'll have to make an exception in your case though, as someone is going to have to point out to you that the word "fuck" is clichéd.

I've really never read anything you've written before as I always assumed you were a troll. The fact that you have to spam someone else's thread about how YOU can WRITE makes you look rather desperate, and doesn't make me any more inclined to look up your work. Nor does the additional fact that you have an extremely infantile vocabulary. It might get your mom's attention when you say dirty words, but strangers will, at best, roll their eyes at you and move on. If you're really lucky you might meet someone on your own mental level some day, who might chuckle when you say things like "fuck" and "oral sex".

I have to admit that some of your responses in this thread did make me laugh though - I have this mental image of you snarling and drooling in rage as you furiously pound away at your keyboard and show us all how brutal you can be. Don't bother making any more replies though, prolonged arguing with someone underage or mentally disadvantaged isn't really my style. Then again, if you make another reply you get to feel like YOU WON. (I can't wait to see you fall for that bait)
Chopin's Funeral March

A Ballad

Forgotten

Pendulum

If there's one thing that can be said about Bloopie, it's that he can write.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
Gothic Piano

Okay! Whoa! I wrote this poem without even revising it. I know it's shitty. Duh! But I will have to say that (1.) everything that I did was intended to have a meaning of some sort. YOU (I know this is hard) have to use your own imagination. (2.) yes, it not have an ending, but it's supposed to be like that. Does evil really go away, or is it just covered by the day? (3.) Vampires kissing is appropriate, but I will say that vampire doesn't despribe what I was trying to say.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will take them all into consideration while revising.

SL
Old 04-17-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
Gothic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopie
Your intention is completely lost. You need to clarify it, and perhaps find a different subject.
Okay, I'll do that. Thanks.