Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
Darcnyss

Borderline Goth Bands

Just a few observations I have made over the years about so-called borderline goth bands. Be aware that these are simply my own opinions and by no means facts set in stone.

Theatre of Tragedy - When they originally started, they labeled themselves as goth, then goth metal, and eventually electro pop. They seem to be suffering a bit from an identity crisis. No wonder Liv Kristine left them. The sad thing is, their earlier works were, in my opinion, really good.

Moonspell - Yet another goth-labeled band whose music style borders on something other than goth. I am not quite sure how to classify this band, as some of their music definitely do fall into the goth territory, while the majority of their music borders on...something else.

Nick Cave - Beloved of many goths, Nick Cave, though brilliant, is not goth. His music style reminds more of the dark country/folk of Johnny Cash. However, it is clear from his dark subject matter in his music why he appeals to so many goths.

The 69 Eyes - Strangely enough, many goths don't consider them as a goth band. In my opinion these guys are pure old-school gothic rock. And they're definitely one of the most gothic-looking bands out there.

Type o Negative - Another self-labeled goth band. Though a lot heavier than most, Peter Steele on many occasions has said that they are a gothic rock band. On an amusing side note, he was also quoted on the sleeve of the Nativity in Black compilation that he believed that goth existed thanks to Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath(?).

Deathstars - A band with serious gothic overtones which reminds one of bands like Seraphim Shock. These guys are pretty good, and a lot more accessible to goths than most bands of their genre. I can say without shame that I enjoy their music, even though they are not strictly goth.

Then, on the flip side of the coin, there are also the nearly legendary gothic bands who flat-out deny that they were ever goth (Sisters of Mercy and The Mission come to mind). Andrew Eldritch, a man who almost single-handedly shaped the sounds of many modern goth bands, has said on the official Sisters website that he was never much of a fan of 'goth and its darklings.'

The mind boggles.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
Bete Noire

The 69 Eyes have about 3 good songs. The rest are hideosly generic and boring. And they've never looked hugely goth to me. More Hair Metal type stuff.

Type O Negative have always seemed more goth rock influenced than most of the "gothic metal" bands, and although their primary influence seems to be Black Sabbath, you can hear a lot of goth rock type sounds coming through, especially on October Rust.
Also, they have a sense of humour, something a lot of gothic metal acts seem to have lost.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
Draconysius

Oh no you di'int! I actually love The 69 Eyes, and they do have some gothic rock songs, but also a whole lot of hard rock and hair metal going on, which I actually enjoy.I would also agree with Moonspell, because of couple of their songs seem to have goth overtones, namely in the "Butterfly Effect" album. Haven't heard Type O, I'll definitely get to that.

I'd agree on Nick Cave too, and I'd add Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins, and The Chameleons (UK). Oh, and the Cruxshadows. BWAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!

Oh, and Darcnyss, don't use the argument "they claim to be goth". That's like saying "everything in the Bible is the word of God because it says so."
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
Darcnyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius

Oh, and Darcnyss, don't use the argument "they claim to be goth". That's like saying "everything in the Bible is the word of God because it says so."
As I stated above, these are all just my humble opinions, and not fact. Heck, we all know that even Marilyn Manson went through a stage of calling himself goth, which he clearly never was!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
Haunted House

Rudimentary Peni. They have quite a few songs that can be considered goth rock or deathrock. They hold dominantly in Punk, though.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
Underwater Ophelia

I don't think the Cocteau Twins are goth at all. Sure, goths like them, but that definitely doesn't make the music goth.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
viscus

Quote:
Oh no you di'int! I actually love The 69 Eyes, and they do have some gothic rock songs, but also a whole lot of hard rock and hair metal going on, which I actually enjoy.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Goth influence, but totally a Hard Rock band. Reminds me of The Cult in this regard.

Add to the list of acts that are not Goth, but commonly liked by Goths:

Echo and the Bunnymen
My Bloody Valentine
Lydia Lunch
Tom Waits
Einsturzende Neubauten

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
BlkGothGrl

Quote:
I'd agree on Nick Cave too, and I'd add Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins, and The Chameleons (UK). Oh, and the Cruxshadows. BWAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!

My brother from another mother!!! Totally agree....
BlkGothGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
Echo and the Bunnymen
About muthafuckin' time someone said this!

But for me, it's been between Oingo Boingo and Fashion.

Oingo has a lot of dark/creepy subject matter they sing about while Fashion has gritty subjects set to a pretty dark synthy groove, especially regarding their Fabrique/The Height of Fashion stuff.

If I get slsk back up to code, ask and ye shall receive.
Lolly PopMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
Stormtrooper of Death

UK Decay? Small 2nd wave outfit from England, first album was UK82 ish, next one, much different. Check em' out.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #11
Godslayer Jillian

The Deep Eynde has one cool gothabilly song and shifts from goth to punk, but they primarily call themselves punk.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #12
Draconysius

45 Grave. Honestly, they share nothing in common with any other "death rock" band I've ever heard; they sound far more horror punk to me.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #13
BlkGothGrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik
About muthafuckin' time someone said this!

But for me, it's been between Oingo Boingo and Fashion.

Oingo has a lot of dark/creepy subject matter they sing about while Fashion has gritty subjects set to a pretty dark synthy groove, especially regarding their Fabrique/The Height of Fashion stuff.

If I get slsk back up to code, ask and ye shall receive.
Oingo Boingo!!

Oh Hells Ya!
BlkGothGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #14
Haunted House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
UK Decay? Small 2nd wave outfit from England, first album was UK82 ish, next one, much different. Check em' out.
UK Decay is pretty awesome. They are pretty much on the border of punk and goth.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:59 AM   #15
Haunted House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
The Deep Eynde has one cool gothabilly song and shifts from goth to punk, but they primarily call themselves punk.
Also, The Deep Eynde is cool. They're songs vary, but are still within punk. "Hoodoo" is pretty deathrocky. It's my favorite by them.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:23 AM   #16
Darcnyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted House
"Hoodoo" is pretty deathrocky. It's my favorite by them.
I have to agree. This is also my favorite Deep Eynde song.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #17
Godslayer Jillian

Better than The 13th Floor?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #18
Catch

Nick Cave was actually a punker. When the queen of England found out his heritage was from southern france, she deemed him a gothic. Technically, he is the first gothic, though still a punker.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #19
Black&Blue

Bush Tetras. From the 80s. I'm not sure how to classify this band. They may or may not be goth, but they do have a dark and brooding atmospheric quality. I've seen them labelled as No Wave, and I've also seen them labelled as Dance Punk.

Whatever they are, I like 'em a lot.
Black&Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #20
Mir

Who gives a big flying fuck? Music is music and you either have good music or you don't.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #21
I Am Great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Great.
Goth music is whatever goths listen to.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I Am Great. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #22
Mir

And most of it sucks ass. haha.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #23
I Am Great.

Yuppers...........
I Am Great. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #24
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch
Nick Cave was actually a punker. When the queen of England found out his heritage was from southern france, she deemed him a gothic. Technically, he is the first gothic, though still a punker.
A gothic? Would that be anything like a smelly or maybe a red? Perhaps it's more like a ruddy. I guess it would be a glam mixed with a punky, eh.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote