Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:28 AM   #1
Draconysius

666xH.I.Mx666

omgh him is soi fucking kewl their lyk tha kewlst fuckig gothh aband evar existead!!!!!!11!!1 their so fucking aspooky wid their satanic innuedno and stereotypical goth lyrix lolzor!!!!!!!11!!!1

Seriously, how much do you HATE H.I.M?
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
She_Is_My_Sin

To be honest I have 5 H.I.M albums...buuuut they were all presents for me. I used to like H.I.M, but once you realise every song is the same, you stop listening to them. Actually, I quite liked their cover of 'don't Fear The Reaper', though only because the female singer in it made it sound different to everything else they do.

I've also seen them live & they aren't that good. I'd have to say it was a complete waste of money, as Ville's singing really was awful live. Worst Halloween ever.

Another factor to me disliking H.I.M is that I find Ville Valo rather...nasty.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:12 AM   #3
Nocturalis

Strangely, I downloaded it and it's still on my computer, but I don't really like it, even though tons of people recommended it. Valo's whining, droning voice gets very repetitive and irritating after a short while. Bleh.
Nocturalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:26 AM   #4
Puppet Master

Though he is not as bad as some bands like for example chem romance. He is still one of the most poserish, annoying, wannabe shitholes ever =/

I mean seriosuly love metal? It is not even metal.

The only decent thing to come out of him is the heartagram, which is a cool symbol, shame it has been tainted by him.
Puppet Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
xxkissxmexgoodbye

Hehe... Sorry I am a loser so I love HIM. Actually I have their ID case and a poster. I don't buy CD's people burn me copys.
xxkissxmexgoodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
She_Is_My_Sin

Oh another thing that has annoyed me about H.I.M. I like Alfonse Mucha's artwork a great deal. So look why I'm a bit cheesed off:

Heartagrams make everything look so tacky....H.I.M will not get away with this! Argh!
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
Tumor

How much do I hat H.I.M.? Not at all.

Then again, I'd have to listen to more than one song in order to say that H.I.M. sucks. (At this point, I can only say that the song I heard sucks.)
Tumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:15 PM   #8
Born Again

Everything that was created before "Dark Light" was great. I actually do own their "Razorblade Romance" album.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:25 PM   #9
DarkHeartedDemoness

I've never heard anything by them... but I guess I probably won't go out of my way to track them down, just based on the reactions in this thread.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:45 PM   #10
Mick Ignis

I've never really sat down and listened to HIM. I've heard some sample off of iTunes and it really isn't my cup of tea. Not to mention the fact that HIM's logo is everywhere you look!
Mick Ignis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:22 PM   #11
Cicero

I find HIM tolerable, some songs even pleasantly catchy, but really... is Ville completely incapable of thinking up lyrical matter that isn't about love? Listen to one song and you've listened to them all.

I've heard many bad things about Ville's voice live, too. And I honestly can't see the 'hawtness' people associate with him. He does have a lovely name though, I'll give him that, but then again all Finnish names are lovely.

HIM: Overrated and repetitive? I vote yes.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:26 PM   #12
Godslayer Jillian

It's not even about good love.
You can see in the lyrics that he despises love. It's that, or he thinks it's cool to talk about Love as an evil entity; and for his sake, it better be the first one.

Examples:
"Kill me" I cried and Love said no.
Love's the funeral of hearts.
Love is a gun separating me from you.

I actually like four of his songs. The Funeral of Hearts has a nice tone, and I sincerely like one of the gloomy descriptions of Love (prayer to a god who's deaf and blind); Poison Girl, although again, it speaks about love and death; Resurrection has a more poetic feeling to it, even if it's still about love and death; and The Sacrament, in which I like the way he describes his church isn't about silver and gold - I don't find a point to the "sacrament" itself, but I like that it speaks of a religion mainly about feelings.

But, as you can see, even the songs I like are always about the same. It gets boring very quickly.
Too
Fucking
Redundant.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:57 PM   #13
maggot

""Kill me" I cried and Love said no." is actually a pretty deep line.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:12 PM   #14

I can't stand them. There are to repetitious. And his voice is to winey. There like Mudvayne. Blah...

Sorcerer of death's construction
In the fields the bodies burning,
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind,
Poisoning their brainwashed minds
~War Pigs/Luke's Wall~

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
- Bernard Bailey
#1158374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:27 PM   #15
PersephoneX

All their songs sound the same to me.
And i'm a bit pissed off that the queer next door listens to their new album, and the Rasmus (while wearing his girly jeans) and prances down the street with a jack skellington bag on his shoulder going "oooh look at me, i'm so goth"...
i dont like HIM, but i wouldnt tear them apart...they're writing teen-gay anthems...that's enough satisfaction for me....
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:13 AM   #16
Slap Your Love

I'm going to be the oddball here because I do like H.I.M. I don't think darklight was very good as do many H.I.M. fans, but I do like their lyrical content and you say that they're all the same which means If I like one of the songs I like them all to me. It's like a hour long song to me. =] and I for one like Ville's voice and the guitar riffts are good aswell. The drumming could be much better to me and I don't care at all how popular they are I can go from listening to a band like Mechanical Moth which dosen't have that large of a fan base to H.I.M. and it dosen't bother me. Music is music to me I don't care who it is that provides me with it. Although I think that these obsessive H.I.M. fangirls and such that only listen to H.I.M. and nothing else are ignorant.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:49 AM   #17
Haunted House

I can't stand HIM. Ok. We get it. You're sad. Shut up. His voice is so boring and the music is just generic modern distorted guitar. The only reason the little mall kiddies like them is because Bam Margera tells them they do.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:53 AM   #18
xxkissxmexgoodbye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master
Though he is not as bad as some bands like for example chem romance. He is still one of the most poserish, annoying, wannabe shitholes ever =/

I mean seriosuly love metal? It is not even metal.

The only decent thing to come out of him is the heartagram, which is a cool symbol, shame it has been tainted by him.
Hahaha.... I kind of like them it's just like now a days they stole Marilyn Mansons make-up style and give him NO credit whatsoever.... People like that piss me off... Those were the days... Back when... Woah... Let's not get into the random flash back. Yeah I do agree though. As a fan, I do consider them posers but they make a few good songs to dance around to... Hehe...
xxkissxmexgoodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:12 PM   #19
Rizash

http://ia300137.us.archive.org/2/ite...IGetAnAmen.mov

Watch that.... pretty much every modern music group borrowed from others, lmfao....
Rizash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:52 PM   #20
Haunted House

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxkissxmexgoodbye
Hahaha.... I kind of like them it's just like now a days they stole Marilyn Mansons make-up style and give him NO credit whatsoever.... People like that piss me off... Those were the days... Back when... Woah... Let's not get into the random flash back. Yeah I do agree though. As a fan, I do consider them posers but they make a few good songs to dance around to... Hehe...

Yeah, and Manson stole Nik Fiend's and Johnny Slut's make-up style. Its a viscious chain isn't it? Ah, Alien Sex Fiend and Specimen. THOSE must have been the days. Ya know? Back when music was GOOD.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:24 PM   #21
badteccy

Oh man, nucca got PWned
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:24 PM   #22
PersephoneX

its strange, i checked out their bass tabs last night...they're kinda pleasant to play! go figure.
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #23
Pyre

I never cared for HIM. Right before HIM became extremely popular I heard a sample of one of their songs played as a promo for a new CD of theirs, the song being "Join Me In Death". Just from hearing that one sample I developed an abhorrence for the band. I have since heard a few of their other songs, and I still hate them.
I actually have a friend who harasses me for not liking the band. She screeches at me with questions of how I cannot like the band, then she tries to be sneaky and play their music around me. It doesn't work, I still hate it. Slap Your Love tried to the same thing by sending me an excerpt of one song via cell phone, and I thought he had sent me some really crappy and whiny hip-hop song, because that is exactly as it had sounded. Nope, it was HIM, but I didn't bother to ask which song.
It's all a matter of preference, but I really dislike the band and most of its fanbase.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:49 AM   #24
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted House
Yeah, and Manson stole Nik Fiend's and Johnny Slut's make-up style. Its a viscious chain isn't it? Ah, Alien Sex Fiend and Specimen. THOSE must have been the days. Ya know? Back when music was GOOD.
This is indeed such a pitty.. Poor Johnny Slut. <33
Old 12-03-2006, 12:36 PM   #25
Draconysius

Ahh, good ol' ASF & Specimen... You're gonna make me cwy! ^_^
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote