Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:49 AM   #226
Queenofdarkness57

Quote:
Originally Posted by end.of.eternity
Muslims just simply don't know a word "humour" ...oh well. I guess it was so EEeevil and cruel and rude of people joking of their precious Mohammed like THAT badly (hey, come on, those Danes really didn't make it that big) and they have their real right to get pissed of.
...Please.

I mean. People joke about Christianity everyday, but do Christians burn and blow up places? No. If muslims got to know of a band which blasphemed their religion even a little, they'd make sure of that band being done dead immediately. But christians never did anything to black metal.

So. My point is, they were a little overacting.
No, that wasn't funny at all, but they did overreact. I mean it's enough that they're excessively conservative, what did you expect? Oh btw, In Lebanon, they met in downtown Beirut where they started destroying cars( yes, of Lebanese citizens) and breaking the glasses of stores, hence destructing their own country( whic is facing enough economical problems). In addition to that, they were hitting Christian females and breaking statues Saints. All of that for the sake of some cartoon in Europe. Dumbfucks!
Old 03-27-2006, 01:12 PM   #227
Mood

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
Guess it doesn't really matter how much you sin, if you're catholic. You can just say some hail mary's and all's well.

Hypocrite.
How presumptious.
Mood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:42 PM   #228
psychopenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mood
Satanism...a pathetic justification for people who claim to not need one.

How is Satanism a justification?
psychopenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:15 PM   #229
Godslayer Jillian

And a justification of what?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:24 PM   #230
tenet_2012

Eh, to each his/her own.

If someone wants to think of themselves as their own god... let them.

I personaly don't need to believe in anything to justify my existence.

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:29 PM   #231
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Ok, but by praying to saints (yes, catholics do that) and holding their statues and rotting body parts in such high regard, aren't you worshipping them?
Holding something in high esteem or reverence isn't worshipping, since worship generally has thankfulness as a component, while saints and their relics are held up as symbols not only of virtue and proper livelihood, but also as examples of what kind of power is rendered when one leads that kind of life, and the good that can be done therefrom. Without recourse to Webster, I think that's the difference in a practical nutshell.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:03 PM   #232
Mood

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopenguin
How is Satanism a justification?
It's a religion for people who don't want to follow rules. How isn't that an attempt at justification?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:24 AM   #233
Cruel Intentions

I missed the muslim argument so here's my two cents:

Like all 'fanatical' (I use the word very loosely here) groups like religions, football fans, etc there will always be that 10% that are extremists and will cause trouble and give the rest of them a bad name. However, Islam is one of the largest religions in the world so that same 10% is going to be a hell of a lot larger as well.

And as for satanism...
The backwards thing is that everyone is supposed to respect and appreciate everyone else's belief and culture. What if you're religion is to hate everyone and everything and their culture/beliefs?

As Mood said, its an excuse for people who don't like rules.
Cruel Intentions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:45 AM   #234
OnixxFilth

I agree with Mood.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #235
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel Intentions
And as for satanism...
The backwards thing is that everyone is supposed to respect and appreciate everyone else's belief and culture. What if you're religion is to hate everyone and everything and their culture/beliefs?

As Mood said, its an excuse for people who don't like rules.
Satanism doesn't say hate everyone. Look at Godslayer Jillian. Could you ask for a sweeter person?

Satanism has rules, so you can't say its an excuse for that.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:19 AM   #236
end.of.eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofdarkness57
Oh btw, In Lebanon, they met in downtown Beirut where they started destroying cars( yes, of Lebanese citizens) and breaking the glasses of stores, hence destructing their own country( whic is facing enough economical problems). In addition to that, they were hitting Christian females and breaking statues Saints. All of that for the sake of some cartoon in Europe. Dumbfucks!
This is just what I meant.

And to say, I never meant I thought that danes' joking being funny. Dramatical reacting just sucks.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:03 AM   #237
Mood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya

Satanism has rules, so you can't say its an excuse for that.
It is a generalisation because I'm sure there are many Satanists that are really great people and have their reasons.

However the "religion" itself is a joke. Sure it has rules. One of the biggest is that it is a Satanist "sin" to be ignorant...but if the religion also emphasises that you are your own god and you dictate how you live your life, then how the hell are you supposed to know if you're ignorant or not. Everyone is to assume that their ignorant and look up to their superiors for help (God for example, who Christians believe is perfect), yet if you are you're own God that automatically makes you ignorant...it's ridiculous. The whole thing is one big contradiction of itself.

If these people want to run their lives like they want to, why do they need a religion to do this? They shouldn't, but that's where the justification comes in.

The only good thing about this religion in my eyes is that the main church of Satan will only accept you as a member if you're of legal age or have parental consent.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:26 PM   #238
Saya

From The Church of Satan website(http://www.churchofsatan.com), technically its stupidity, and not ignorance thats a sin:

"1. Stupidity—The top of the list for Satanic Sins. The Cardinal Sin of Satanism. It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity. It depends on people going along with whatever they are told. The media promotes a cultivated stupidity as a posture that is not only acceptable but laudable. Satanists must learn to see through the tricks and cannot afford to be stupid."

And we really can't trust other people not to be ignorant, not our elders, not the church. And if the church is ignorant, how can we trust them about what they say about God? There is no one to trust, in that case, so the only person you can trust is yourself.

And of course, they don't literally mean "you're your own God", its just have confidence to seize control of your life, and not rely on outside forces. It kinda reminds me of the story when Buddha was on his deathbed and his monks were crying, and he said "Be a lamp unto yourself."
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:03 PM   #239
spookypurple

'Ignorance' is an interesting word. I always thought it meant simply not knowing about something. I don't know if it's the same anywhere else, but it now seems to be used as another word for being rude.

Kind of off the topic, but....

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:18 PM   #240
spookypurple

Ooh yes. Yes, good point.

I always remember my mum saying (about someone being rude) "Oh, take no notice, they don't know any better." ....

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:47 PM   #241
Godslayer Jillian

On the thing about us being our own gods, it means more than anything that we are our own redeemers. No one can really judge you better than yourself, or more than that, no one can judge you BUT yourself.
Example:
Killing is a sin, right? Yet, people have killed in the Bible because their god ordained them to do so. Was that justifiable? Not for me, but I'll let them think if it was or wasn't.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:12 AM   #242
Cruel Intentions

I would throw a blanket rule of common sense over stuff like that. I believe there's a difference between killing and murder. Murder is when you deliberately go out and do away with someone for your own personal reasons. Killing is when the death of someone is unfortunate but necessary.

For example: Say someone attacked me with a knife. It's a good bet that one of us is going to die, rather him than me. I've never met the guy before in my life, I have no idea who he is, he's just jumped me on a street corner and since this guys is randomly attacking people he's a threat to society. Better of him to die than me.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:51 AM   #243
Sobeh

You're correct in defining murder as unnecessary killing, but it's that key 'necessary' bit that gets cultural weight. The Aztecs thought it was necessary to sacrifice folk to keep the cosmos in balance; the Jews thought it was necessary for the Canaanites to be killed for their promised land to be rendered vacant for settlement; modern terrorists find other killin necessary for other reasons, as do those who bomb abortion clinics.

There are a whole slew of reasons why certain killings are considered necessary; none of those reasons are universal, however. Killing someone in self-defense may seem obvious, but ask a serious Buddhist about it, and some will say it'd be better for them rather them than the assailant to die.

Just be careful about assuming statements along these lines are universal just because oneself has determined where the lines of necessary killing are drawn.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:46 AM   #244
OnixxFilth

Very true, Sobeh. The big question to ask is,"Necessary to whom?"
Old 03-29-2006, 11:28 PM   #245
halo

re: [quote=Midnight_Terror]Jesus I hate people that think their Satanists.

oh, let them have their little fun. They want you to hate them don't you get it? if you approved they'd have nobody to offend. halo
halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:04 AM   #246
Cruel Intentions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobeh
You're correct in defining murder as unnecessary killing, but it's that key 'necessary' bit that gets cultural weight. The Aztecs thought it was necessary to sacrifice folk to keep the cosmos in balance; the Jews thought it was necessary for the Canaanites to be killed for their promised land to be rendered vacant for settlement; modern terrorists find other killin necessary for other reasons, as do those who bomb abortion clinics.
You're perfectly right about what counts as 'necessary'. It's just my take on things. The likes of the Aztecs and terrorist had killing in their culture. I'm not saying that they were wrong. Who's to say my ideas are right? I just try to remain impartial and apply common sense where possible. For example I personally think that the liberation of Iraq was fine - in theory. The people have been far better off without Sadam but I also think that they feel it was none of our business. That's why there have been so many terrorist attacks. These countries feel that we have invaded them under the false image of peacekeepers and should leave. However, we are not leaving which just infuriates them further. Certainly they have over reacted (firebombing embassies isn't the best way to go about getting people to agree with you) but I still think we've been there longer than we should have. It should have been: go in, remove the tyrant, set up a government and leave. None of this dawdling about which has been going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobeh
There are a whole slew of reasons why certain killings are considered necessary; none of those reasons are universal, however. Killing someone in self-defense may seem obvious, but ask a serious Buddhist about it, and some will say it'd be better for them rather them than the assailant to die.
Another Buddhist might also say that to kill the murderer would be better. After he's killed you, how many more people will it take to realise that to kill this one person could save many more. If Buddhism is to stop suffering then surely if at least one person is going to die, better the murderer. At least in this way the suffering is minimised and society is made safer.

This really should have been in the politics thread. Oh well...
Old 03-30-2006, 10:13 PM   #247
psychopenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypurple
'Ignorance' is an interesting word. I always thought it meant simply not knowing about something. I don't know if it's the same anywhere else, but it now seems to be used as another word for being rude.

Kind of off the topic, but....
Ignorance in essence is similar to naivete. However, it's more that you are unwilling(for lack of a better word) to educate yourself in the truth and instead take the blanketed generalized statement as being the "right" one.
psychopenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:00 AM   #248
Teh_Emi

Dear Gods, I know a lot of kids who claim to be Satanists at school just to shock people. So...annoying...They say how there isn't a God, only the Demons and Satan and I'm going "WTFOMGBBQ!!!!!!!!!"

-sighs- Teenage 'Satanists' aren't even really Satanic. I looked into the Church of Satan. Nothing like it.
Teh_Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:16 AM   #249
OnixxFilth

I used to be one of them- once I told my really fundamentalist Christian friend that I was going to become a Satanist just to shock her.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:46 PM   #250
Madrigal

I can sympathize completely in regards of the childish, ignorant behavior of many self proclaimed "satanists".
I'm a Satanist and the grief I've recieved from kids trying to "join my cult" is fairly unreal.
The worst thing I'd say was the other year when a Santeria cult killed a few chickens and a goat outside one of the near-by tobacco fields.
Living in a town of a little over a thousand people and being the only who wear laeather and pentagrams...well, it didn't take long before the cops suspected me.
There was even a cop that showed up at my Grandma's house asking questions about me.
What really gets me is there's a still a few people who honestly believe I did that.
Madrigal is offline   Reply With Quote