Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:28 AM   #51
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarian Decoding
I got HIM a few hours ago. This is the review I wrote:

HIM is a newer band, or atleast that's what I've been told. Very slow and soft, and very pleasing to someone who wishes to relax.

I just picked them up today, under the album "Love Metal". I must say, the first song took me by surprise. I was expecting, from the reputation and the brief glimpses on my trips over MTV, to be hearing something like "Breaking Benjamin". Yet, it is much, much softer then BB, and much easier on the ears. It's not the trash and death of Children of Bodom, which I myself enjoy, but it's not that bad for an easy sunday. Infact, right now I am finding the song, "Soul on Fire", very relaxing.

Just to extend. After listening to about an hour of HIM straight, I must say they are quite good. Razorblade Kiss has to be one of my new favorite songs. I like the intro, and the heavyness the song gives off, is seemingly light, coupled with the lyrics, it's a good song.

Out of ten, I would give this band a six. It's not the greatest, but it's still half-good.
Excuse me, but this is what you call a "review"? It says absolutely nothing about the music, except that it's "relaxing" and "not the trash and death of Children of Bodom", which is a description that could fit any number of bands.

I'd hate to see the sad excuse for an online publication or whatever that accepted this trite piece of writing. No dice, man.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:17 PM   #52
Icarian Decoding

You're right.
If you want me to give an, indepth, super-review, then here it goes:
HIM, also known as His Infernal Majesty, is one of the newer bands to hit the scene, or atleast to make themselves popular. Although they were started in 1991, according to this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIM_%28band%29

They only began to make it big upon their release of Razorblade Romance, in 1991. This is where they made it big with the song "Posion Girl" and "Right Here in My Arms". Their sequential releases, "Love Metal", and the less known, "Deep Shadows And Brilliant Highlights", brought them into fame. Unfortunately, they barely made it onto the charts, until 2005, when they released "Wings of a Butterfly", on their latest album, Dark Light, which hit number 10 on Mainstream US Rock.

The band members have remained the same since the formation of the band, with Ville Valo as vocals, Burton on Keyboards, Mige on Bass, Linde on Guitar, and Gas on Drums.

My personal opinions of their songs.
The intro to the song "Poision Girl", somewhat reminds me of Paradise Lost's "One Second". From there, it continues onto soft vocals, mixed with a steady beat on the drum. To my understanding there is only one singer, yet to the author, it sounds as if there are two people singing at one moment. These moments contrast when there is only one identifiable voice, where you can clearly make out the bass and guitar. My only complaint, is that the song has no heavyness, of other bands like Arch-Enemy, or Children of Bodom.

The second song I would like to comment on is "And Love Said No". It starts out with clearly identifiable guitar and base elements, and then proceeds on with the vocals. It's very soft and slow, and you can clearly make out what he is saying.

To summarize the average sound of the band, they make very good use of the keyboard, and of the drums, and for the most part, the guitar. It's the personal opinion of the author, that you can barely make out the bass though. Although, most bass you can barely make out. Most of the lyrics are dedicated to love, and the songs all rather sound similiar, even though they may deal with different subject matter. The beat, or atleast the drums, seems to be the similiar one to two beats per second, throughout the album, with some excepts midway during most songs, and during some of the vocals.

There. I have it my second shot. Hopefully it's better than the first.
Icarian Decoding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:34 PM   #53
succubus,queenofvampires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Maxwell
I like their song, "Wings Of A Butterfly." That's it.

And... I'm going to quote my dad here:

"Whether you're pulling off its wings or crushing it underfoot, it's pretty god damn hard to sound tough when you're singing about butterflies..."
Well, whoever said "Listen to what your parents tell you" was right. HIM's old music is way better than the new one.
The only good thing in them is Ville!! He's a total hottie.
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:11 AM   #54
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarian Decoding
You're right.
If you want me to give an, indepth, super-review, then here it goes:

There. I have it my second shot. Hopefully it's better than the first.
Nope. It's just more words, and none of them are doing a very good job of describing what the music sounds like.

I could tell you what's wrong with it and give you a few pointers, but to be honest, I can't be bothered, and it should be obvious anyway. You should just give up trying to review anything, since all you are able to convey is your total lack of musical knowledge and reference points.

You're like a food critic with a bad cold and a charred piece of rubber for a tongue. The only thing you can say about what's in your mouth is whether it's hard or soft.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:33 AM   #55
WolfMoon

If you want to hear some bass, listen to Type O Negative.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:12 AM   #56
lena

I have never listened to Him. Could anyone reccomend 1 or 2 songs that are good, that would give me an idea of what it is like???

Also am I the only one that gets a kick out of trying to talk about Him without using poor english???
Old 04-14-2006, 08:54 AM   #57
WolfMoon

Man, you want one song that doesn't suck? That's a toughie. You can always log onto heartagram.com, I think that's where I heard(and barfed at) their music.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:36 AM   #58
lena

Umm....I went there, and the main page played "killing loneliness" wow. I wasnt expecting a band with a heart-pentagram-thing as a label, to sound so much like pop. It didnt make me barf, but my ears hurt a little, and Im a little nausious. Please excuse my sucky spelling.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:17 PM   #59
Beowulf

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
If you want to hear some bass, listen to Type O Negative.

Absolutly Wolfie, I love Type O Negatives sound, its so distinctive .
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:42 PM   #60
Godslayer Jillian

I sing in a combination to the guy in London After Midnight, the guy in The 69 Eyes, and Ville Vallo

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:58 PM   #61
[dark matter]

H.I.M is one of my favourite bands. Yeah, they're getting main stream, but so what? It just makes me feel so much less unique now that i see little fifth grader walking around if H.I.M hoodies and every other person wearing a H.I.M hat. Aw well. Oh, and I too love Ville's eyes...and hair...and just him in general. xP
[dark matter] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:36 AM   #62
Aurora Vinylslut

HIM are the definition of homosexuality.
Aurora Vinylslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:46 AM   #63
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Vinylslut
I think you need a new dictionary.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:38 AM   #64
Virulent Dryad

My opinion - these guys are very unimaginative.

They've found a couple different ways to say basically the same thing. E.g: "death is in love with us" or "join me in death" or "love wants us dead" et cetera
I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same chord progression for all their songs since they all tend to sound the same. You can't tell when one song as stopped and when the other has started.

I won't get into the mainstream cult they've started. HIM hoodies, hats, shoes, et cetera and all their little babygoth followers.

Anyhoo toodles.
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:58 AM   #65
Vampyrekisses

I really like HIM

Esp the Funeral of Hearts, and yeah OK Ville is really easy on the eye lol....
Vampyrekisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:44 AM   #66
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyrekisses
I really like HIM

Esp the Funeral of Hearts, and yeah OK Ville is really easy on the eye lol....
OF COURSE you like HIM. What 'gawth' doesn't?

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #67
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
You're in a dark room. You can hear the anguished cries of the mentally unhinged coming from down the hall. There is a skeleton in the corner.

You can go north, south, east, west.
Zork! I still have the original copies of one and two. I wish there were more play novels like that.

In my opinion, HIM is a decent band, nothing more. They've made some worthwhile music, but their merchandising everything down to HIM condoms is absolutely degrading.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #68
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Vinylslut
I happen to be bisexual, asshole. You need to watch your words. If not, I'll have to suck your ( or your boyfriend's if you're a girl) twonky, because everyone knows gays are out to have brutal sex with every man they come across. *rolls eyes*
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:52 AM   #69
selfdestruction

do you not think the lead singer from HIM is starting to look alot like Marc Bolan from T-Rex....

The latest video shown on Scuzz in the UK, he sooo looks like him...

anyone else think this?
selfdestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:56 AM   #70
Aurora Vinylslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
I happen to be bisexual, asshole. You need to watch your words. If not, I'll have to suck your ( or your boyfriend's if you're a girl) twonky, because everyone knows gays are out to have brutal sex with every man they come across. *rolls eyes*
Well you have to admit that they are extreamely effeminate.
Aurora Vinylslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:25 AM   #71
Virulent Dryad

What's wrong with being effeminate?

I'm bi-sexual and I actually find androgynous looks to be quite attractive.
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #72
Kinflame

Location: FGBWIERville, MKBJJKaryland, Unintelligent Shithole of America.
I wasted 15 bucks on Dark Light.

They're unimaginative pop metal shit, like the Blink 182 of goth. I swear with all that emo posturing I'm not surprised Ville sounds so fucking melodramatic.
Kinflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:41 PM   #73
luna-

Hum.... I like HIM. They used to be one of my favourite bands (if not my favourite) a little while ago. I still enjoy them, but don't listen to them as much as I used to.
I personally liked their lyrics (even if they are pretty much the same) and their sound, excluding some effects they would occasionally use.
The album I like the most would be the "Greatest Lovesongs vol 666", because it includes a cover of Blue Öyster Cult's "Don't fear the reaper" (and they are another one of my top bands; and that song is my favourite); and the Wicked Game one (I happen to LOVE the original one, makes my eyes go misty with tears). I do have to agree they are not the best band on earth. Even a lot of people think they suck (and I respect that, I just think differently), for a variety of reasons I'm sure have been exposed on the thread, among others, of course.
On the hotness of Ville, I can't fin him appealing anymore. That haircut looks kind of awful on him. His eyes are still pretty, though.
On the "selling-out" stuff, well, their music hasn't changed that much. They have just became popular... Heck, their "Deep shadows and brilliant highlights" seems to me to be much more commercial! Despite the fact that it is not so known as the other albums. Dark light may appear softer, but really it is the same they have been doing for all the years they have been around (the butterfly thing does make me cringe, and not because I hate butterflies).

Let me tell you: I'm bassist in a band. What do we play? HIM, among other stuff I'd mention if you want to, but is irrelevant here.
Lame? Maybe. I actually find it depressing we can't move along from covers (I blame my singer, Kurt. He only wants covers . But he's drop dead gorgeous, so maybe I can forgive him... he looks like a younger Valo with fairer features). We have become really good at it, though, and you should see how the crowds get when we play. We even have fame in my hometown.
I even have two heartagram tattoos. Because I like the symbol, and the meaning I give to it.

On the merchandise, I can't really say a thing. I'm one of the few people with HIM merchandise, and it is not a lot of it. Maybe it's just different here, we don't get that side of them.

The thing that makes me cringe, is the assholery of MOST the fans I happen to come across, being in the internet, or on my travels to the USA. Little babygoth twats.... but then again, lots of people are assholes, so I don't think this is a point.
My HIM loving friends are really decent, actually. As I mentioned on the Hot Topic thread, I bought my band some HIM stickers for their instruments. They went batshit insane with gratitude :P
I'm a HIM fan, and I'm not ashamed of it, nor I see why would I have to be. Maybe they do suck, but not for me. I enjoy their music. It's not the best that I have, but damn, I'm only 17 years old, and I can get better stuff with time and experience.
luna- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:44 PM   #74
luna-

Wow, did I write that much? That's long. And I forgot to add: Godslayer Jillian, my mental picture of your voice makes me squeal with deligth.
luna- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:21 PM   #75
Godslayer Jillian

Well, whenever you visit Chihuahua, tell me

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote