Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 09-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #51
Naunet

And by the way Grausamkeit, I don't think I told you yet, but I'm on the autism spectrum. If you think I'm merely being a "dense idiot" as you call me, think twice. And that is why I felt that you were being rude to me. Because for all I know you were being serious. So next time please use your words carefully. And yes--I have every intention of exploring the Gothic genre of music beyond neoclassical darkwave.
Naunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #52
Naunet

I love the Changelings. Of the neoclassical darkwave groups I've explored so far, they're my favorite. I also have a song by Narsilion. They're pretty cool, too, and I want to buy some more from them.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #53
Grausamkeit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96oxS...ACD0B655E25DDC

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #54
wolf moon

So, I think the most important question here, (which hasn't actually been answered), is: How do you define "gothic music"?

You've said you don't like it, but not how you define it. And, quite frankly, most people who think they understand "the subculture" have no idea what actual gothic rock is. Which bands have you listened to and not liked?
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #55
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naunet View Post
And by the way Grausamkeit, I don't think I told you yet, but I'm on the autism spectrum. If you think I'm merely being a "dense idiot" as you call me, think twice. And that is why I felt that you were being rude to me. Because for all I know you were being serious. So next time please use your words carefully. And yes--I have every intention of exploring the Gothic genre of music beyond neoclassical darkwave.
1. If you're not on the spectrum and you're just using that as dickmove to win a disagreement over the internet, then fuck you! That's a dickmove!

2. If you really are on the spectrum, then I apologize.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #56
Naunet

No, Grausamkeit. I really am on the autism spectrum. I was five when I was first diagnosed and seven when Yale confirmed it.

And to Wolf Moon, the way I used to define it is as the rave kind of music, which is the kind that hurts my ears. But considering how new I am, I am willing to redefine things.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #57
wolf moon

Quote:
And to Wolf Moon, the way I used to define it is as the rave kind of music, which is the kind that hurts my ears. But considering how new I am, I am willing to redefine things.
Yes. You are going to need to redefine things. (Unless you consider Bauhaus rave music and then we are just going to start this whole thing all over again.)

Reset expectations. Research. Listen.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #58
Naunet

And I am aware that I may need to redefine. That's why iTunes is a good thing.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #59
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Youtube is a valuable resource when music hunting especially because of the suggestions bar.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #60
Naunet

I'll consider YouTube as well for it.

Speaking of which, I might be interested in what the music videos look like.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #61
wolf moon

Quote:
And I am aware that I may need to redefine. That's why iTunes is a good thing.
You probably don't want to rely on iTunes for this. Most bands just get thrown under "Alternative" and a search for "goth" gets you... a bunch of crap I don't recognize, actually. I'd research online, then use YouTube or blogspot to see if you like particular songs/bands.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #62
Naunet

Thanks for the headsup.

For some reason The Changelings got thrown under alternative. And it doesn't sound like alternative at all.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #63
Grausamkeit

Rave? Maybe they mean house music? VNV Nation is pretty loud. A lot of the more EBM/house music styles are. Then there's aggro-tech like Combichrist, which I like, as well. Great shit to dance to!

Old 09-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #64
Naunet

Well, I don't listen to music to dance to it. I listen to it for writing inspiration and for relaxation.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #65
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
Then there's aggro-tech like Combichrist, which I like, as well. Great shit to dance to!
Yes. I feel like you haven't really participated if you don't know the proper stops and starts of This Shit Will Fuck You Up. Because it's the one song that, in my experience, is absolutely guaranteed to be played on any dance floor billing itself as goth. Every. Time.

Andy LePlegua lives just outside of Atlanta. There's a venue downtown that should be amazing but mostly sucks... except he sometimes plays surprise shows there. Excellent dancing. Hard to track down the right nights, though.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #66
*Twitch

Just so you can hear what these genres ACTUALLY sound like:

Hardcore Punk

"Rave music"

Note how neither of these are in any way similar to goth. Yes, darkwave is under the musical umbrella of goth, but so is deathrock, and (oh yeah) goth rock. Follow the links they send you and ignore the barbs. Imagine an endless parade of nitwits, then double it. That is how many people have come to this board and argued with longstanding (in some cases upwards of 20 years) members of the goth scene about thier own interests. This is what this board has put up with, patience is low.
Who condones this bloodlust?

-CONFLICT
*Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #67
Naunet

Thanks for the clarification.

And thanks for the note about the patience of people here. It's like that in the autism community as well. We have a tendency to band together and try and keep the people who don't understand out. And yes, there are idiots who try and tell us what autism "really" looks like even though what they think it looks like bears no resemblance to the reality. So I sort of understand where it's coming from even though I didn't expect the hostility.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #68
*Twitch

Hahahaha man, here that's almost downright civil. They're mostly aight people, but when it gets heated, it gets HOT.
Who condones this bloodlust?

-CONFLICT
*Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #69
Naunet

You haven't seen the autism forums on Facebook. If we say we don't want to be cured of autism, we get told that there's something more wrong with us than just autism. I've been told that I'm not really autistic just because I can type using proper grammar. That's in spite of the fact that Yale University confirmed the diagnosis when I was seven.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #70
Naunet

And right now I'll gladly admit that my perception was wrong. I do wish that people were a little more civil in correcting it, but I'll definitely admit that my definition of what Goth music looks like was distorted and way too narrow. And if I suspect that I have another misperception, I'll definitely make sure to either ask for clarification here or do a little more research.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #71
KissMeDeadly

Naunet, my man. If you don't want to read Graus's posts just don't read them, we are a group of vicious borderline troll assholes. What were you expecting?

EDIT: You can even put Graus on ignore and never even see her posts.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #72
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
You guys keep forgetting about wikipedia, they've got a nice list of gothic rock bands there.

As for you Naunet, I will be keeping a close eye on you, though don't take that in a negative way if you would please. I am actually an Aspergerian myself, diagnosed back in 04, mere months before this whole autism craze swept the nation. In the 4 years I have been a member of these forums I have seen quite a few autistics come and go, their leaving not because of any long term issues really, but more of just the natural ebb and flow of members. Perhaps if you stick around long enough, you'll meet some of them when they pop in now and again.

The reason why Graus the lovely woman that she is, took on such an ugly mood at the thought of someone possibly falsely claiming such a diagnosis is because both of her two children are on the spectrum as well. While such a topic is quite personal to me as well for obvious reasons, I suspect not even heaven nor Hell would save the poor fool that dares mess with that Bitch's cubs.*I say bitch in reference to the female wolf, not out of disrespect, but respect for you Graus*

Finally a few words of advice for you, until you acclimate to the behavior and mood here, handle yourself with a considerable amount of humility. When an an argument arises, or a troll pops his head in, don't go rushing in or you may find yourself overwhelmed. Sometimes trolls find a home here, and that's ok, sometimes as it can be all in good fun, and other times they'll simply get bored and leave of their own volition. NEVER resort to threats, or you'll find yourself spit out faster than Ipecac. Sometimes this forum tests the thickest skinned warrior, but it has it's great moments as well. I remember for just a few examples(there are too many to name them all) how proud and happy HumainePain was when his grandson was born, or all the times we get together to help support a member in need, or the time when Sekhmet posted pictures of her.... heh nvm that last part. When it comes down to it, in my mind, at the end of the day, it's stuff like that which makes being here worth it.

I know that all sounds rather overly cheesy, but hey, I'm from Wisconsin, cheese is what we do. Welcome to the forums.

Though you really should post a proper intro in the intro section of the forums.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #73
Kasdeja

Welcome, Naunet! Hope your stay is pleasant.
Kasdeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #74
Naunet

I do understand that right now I don't know everything there is to know about the Gothic subculture. In fact I'm reluctant to even call myself a true Goth because I don't think I know enough yet.

Maybe I actually will stay for quite a while. It all depends on what I learn in the meantime.

Trolls are the worst. They're everywhere and don't care about subject matter. I still need to learn how to deal with them.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #75
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMeDeadly View Post
Naunet, my man. If you don't want to read Graus's posts just don't read them, we are a group of vicious borderline troll assholes. What were you expecting?

EDIT: You can even put Graus on ignore and never even see her posts.
Aww, you told her about the ignore. I thought you liked me.