Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
beauismyhorse

Hot Topic is BULLSHIT!

My friend works there and they told him he had to 'look goth'... They're encouraging the mallgoths, thus giving us a bad reputation. I know everyone has already figured this out, but to tell their employee that they're required to 'look goth' is just utter bullshit!
beauismyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
Tam Li Hua

I think it's a great marketing strategy, myself. The folks who work at the HT in my city are walking models of what the clothes look like when they are actually on a person, which makes the clothes look good.

I appreciate HT for what it is, and like to find some great sales there personally. ^_^
Old 07-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
Bete Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauismyhorse
My friend works there and they told him he had to 'look goth'... They're encouraging the mallgoths, thus giving us a bad reputation. I know everyone has already figured this out, but to tell their employee that they're required to 'look goth' is just utter bullshit!
Surely if they want that, then he could dress like a goth, not like a goff? Then they can't complain right?
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
constanza

Quote:
HOT TOPIC IS BULLSHIT!
tell us something we didnt know darling

its ok for the basic bits and pieces though,and i cant image why getting to dress goth for your job is such a bad thing,tell your friend to imagine that he's setting a good exaple to all the lost wannabe goths out there.happy?
constanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
AngelikDemonik

Quote:

A lot of mall stores require their employees to wear their clothes...

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
beauismyhorse

*headdesk*
I had no idea people would reply so quickly.
Anyways, I'm going to tell him to dress like he normally would and hope he doesn't lose his job for doing what they told him to do.
beauismyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I've long been curious about what would happen if goths across the globe were to speak out against corperations like Hot Topic, how would the corperation react? There arn't really any examples to compare the scenario against. I think it would be rather interesting social/economic experiment.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
*headdesk*
Anyways, I'm going to tell him to dress like he normally would and hope he doesn't lose his job for doing what they told him to do.
If they asked him to dress Goth, and he dresses Goth, I can't see how they can complain. O.o
Old 07-22-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
*headdesk*
Do you hate your friend? Of course he's going to get fired if he fails to comply with a simple request, one which clothing retailers often make of their employees, within what I assume is his first week on the job given that he's been told to 'look goth' for the first time now.

Quote:
I've long been curious about what would happen if goths across the globe were to speak out against corperations like Hot Topic, how would the corperation react? There arn't really any examples to compare the scenario against. I think it would be rather interesting social/economic experiment.
Goths across the globe already speak out against Hot Topic, and Hot Topic is still raking in millions. The result isn't much different from that of PETA speaking out against KFC- that is to say, not very substantial at all.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #10
Wormboy

Gothicus's post rings true.

As for Hot Topic, it has some nice things, some crap, just like any other store.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #11
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Goths across the globe already speak out against Hot Topic, and Hot Topic is still raking in millions. The result isn't much different from that of PETA speaking out against KFC- that is to say, not very substantial at all.
Yep but not as one, not in active protest against it, the public is very unaware of such negative sentiment against hot topic.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 07-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
Solumina

That could be because there is no real reason to protest it, it isn't like they make the stuff that they sell, the stuff is already out there, they are just making it more easily available for the people who want it.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
That could be because there is no real reason to protest it, it isn't like they make the stuff that they sell, the stuff is already out there, they are just making it more easily available for the people who want it.
Yeah but still like I said before it would make an interesting social/economic experiment.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #14
(heartofflames)

Oh its a new discovery. Whoopie. Yahoo. What genius.

Charlotte: You're probably just having a mid-life crisis. Did you buy a Porsche yet?
(heartofflames) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #15
MollyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
Yep but not as one, not in active protest against it, the public is very unaware of such negative sentiment against hot topic.

You forget one crucial factor-

if the public did not want to buy their merch, Hot Topic would have failed.

And frankly, as for people speaking out as one against something heinous, there are far more worthy causes than one you can simply choose to boycott.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #16
Underwater Ophelia

If he doesn't want to follow company policy, he shouldn't have begun working for the company.

You don't get a job and then piss all over it and expect to get everything you want. Having a job is a privilege.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:27 PM   #17
Godslayer Jillian

Consumerism is BULLSHIT!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:59 PM   #18
Tea and Cake or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac

And frankly, as for people speaking out as one against something heinous, there are far more worthy causes than one you can simply choose to boycott.

Well played!
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:23 PM   #19
KontanKarite

Instead of bitching about Hot Topic, would it not be better to demand better products and educate kids about the beauty of DIY?

I have a question:

How would you guys feel if there was a store out there that you could get all of your DIY needs that you just couldn't find in regular hobby shops like blank leather belts, blank tees, different colored fabrics and lace, studs, piercings, boots, local music merch and such? Would it bother you guys to have a super goth/punk friendly DIY store?

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:42 AM   #20
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac

And I wholeheartedly agree with you, but from my perspective it would be an interesting experiment. Remember everything I said was merely a hypothetical scenario that I think would be interesting to observe. I like playing video games that include city simulations video games like sim city(when I get bored I see how quickly I can destroy the city with natural disasters), as well as strategy based games.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:58 AM   #21
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
And I wholeheartedly agree with you, but from my perspective it would be an interesting experiment. Remember everything I said was merely a hypothetical scenario that I think would be interesting to observe. I like playing video games that include city simulations video games like sim city(when I get bored I see how quickly I can destroy the city with natural disasters), as well as strategy based games.
to continue: Frankly I would rather not have such a scenario actualy play out in the real world. Just like how I think it would be interesting to see who might win if we had another world war and how they would do it, I'm not saying I want another world war, it would merely be interesting to observe preferably in the form of a simulation (which there are plenty of).

Old 07-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #22
Tam Li Hua

The thing about HT to me is that, as far as I understand, they don't really claim one genre over another. They have stuff for most of the darker subcultures: Punk, Goth, Metal, and probably some I've never heard of. Hell, they have stuff from Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, which doesn't fit into ANY dark subculture. :/

I think they are just there to promote whatever is Hot at the moment, whatever the current Topic is that people are all abuzz about. So folks getting upset at them has never really made much sense to me. I can understand getting a little irritated at the mall goths, but not at the store itself...
Old 07-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #23
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Instead of bitching about Hot Topic, would it not be better to demand better products and educate kids about the beauty of DIY?

I have a question:

How would you guys feel if there was a store out there that you could get all of your DIY needs that you just couldn't find in regular hobby shops like blank leather belts, blank tees, different colored fabrics and lace, studs, piercings, boots, local music merch and such? Would it bother you guys to have a super goth/punk friendly DIY store?
They already have those.
It's called Michael's, then a hardware store.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:30 AM   #24
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
That's sort of the direction I want Batcave Benders to go. Starting with band merch like pins and patches, and moving onto things like t-shirts and plain 'blanks' for people to make their own thing out of (cheap black jeans for example), as well as more stuff to put on those things like studs and bone/skull shaped paraphernalia. Mind you it'll probably remain an entirely DIY project in itself, I can't imagine it turning into big business.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #25
Heavenly_Goth

Location: No where right now, I attend Job Corps in North Carolina
Some Hot Topic's make kids seem like Mall Goth's but the one for me at home doesn't they can spot a poser from a mile away and they make them feel unwelcome and they leave and they treat the REAL GOTHS with the upmost respect so NOT ALL HOT TOPICS SUCK!!!!
:P
Heavenly_Goth is offline   Reply With Quote