Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Doctor_Death

Let the right one in by John Ajvide Lindkvist

Okay, so I did a little search on the forum, and didn't find any thread on this marvelous book. If there is one, I apologize for not finding it.

So, what do you think of this book? Like it, dislike it? Was it any parts that irked you, or tickled your fancy (I like that expression).
Have you seen the movie, and if so, are there parts you think they missed out on, or was there any parts that you thought were perfect?

Personally, I really enjoy reading this book. A big reason for it is because it is unusual; it's not the "beautiful people get a beautiful life", nor is it overly depressed. The characters are relatable, and there are interesting twists in the plot. Also, it becomes very personal since the location is so familiar - I've lived in Blackeberg.

And also, a last question for those who've seen the movie (because I haven't yet):
Did they get the fact that Eli is a boy?
Doctor_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
Mr E Nigma

Never heard of it..
Old 04-03-2009, 02:39 AM   #3
Doctor_Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E Nigma View Post
Never heard of it..
Le gasp!
I'ts a vampire book by a swedish author. They made a movie out of it not so long ago.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
Mealla

I didn't even know the book existed till after I saw the film, and have a copy of the book that I need to read as soon as I finish a couple of others, though I did bring it up in a thread or two. One was a thread where someone was requesting vampire books that weren't romances.

As far as the film, I did really like it, but seeing as I haven't read the book yet, I can't really compare. Eli did repeatedly state he wasn't a girl in the movie, and though this could be interpreted as "I'm a vampire, not a girl." It becomes more clear that it's "I'm a boy, not a girl" when there is a brief naked shot of him. It looked odd, but might've made more sense after reading the book...he looked almost like he'd been castrated or something because there was a huge scar where his genitalia should have been.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
Doctor_Death

Mealla: I read the book long before it was made into a movie :P
But yeah, Eli did get sort of castrated - he tells about it in the book.

When you've read the book, I strongly reccomend that you read his other books, especially Handling The Undead. It's also set in modern Stockholm, but this time it's about zombies - in a perfectly plausible way!
Old 04-13-2009, 07:15 AM   #6
Schazmyrrh

I watched it this afternoon. Indeed it was a beautiful movie. Eli's ravenous appetite, concern for Oscar and child-like innocence put together make him charming. *semi-spoiler* The scene where Eli began to bleed all over because Oscar didn't invite him in the house was probably the most intense part of the movie for me. I fell in love with Eli all the more in those scenes. It's an interesting take on vampires since I've gotten tired of the modernized, leather-clad, gun-crazy vampires currently on the hype.

Now, if I can only get my hands on a copy of the book. *sighs*
Schazmyrrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
Doctor_Death

Schazmyrrh: Yes, the vampire-frenzy does get tiring after some while, eh?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
Cen0bite

Eli was a boy?
I just watched the film the other day and I swear I don't remember seeing anything like that.
Wow...

Pinhead: What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain
-Hellraiser:Bloodline
Cen0bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
Mealla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schazmyrrh View Post
Now, if I can only get my hands on a copy of the book. *sighs*
Amazon or any other online bookseller you favor more. Local bookstores can also usually order it for you, though they may have it under the other published title "Let Me In." Just be sure they're ordering the right one since there's apparently a Romance novel under that title as well.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
Schazmyrrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Death View Post
Schazmyrrh: Yes, the vampire-frenzy does get tiring after some while, eh?
Actually any form of frenzy generally wears me out. Even for subject matters that I previously liked.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:16 PM   #11
Schazmyrrh

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mealla View Post
Amazon or any other online bookseller you favor more. Local bookstores can also usually order it for you, though they may have it under the other published title "Let Me In." Just be sure they're ordering the right one since there's apparently a Romance novel under that title as well.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:59 AM   #12
Schazmyrrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Death View Post
Okay, so I did a little search on the forum, and didn't find any thread on this marvelous book. If there is one, I apologize for not finding it.

So, what do you think of this book? Like it, dislike it? Was it any parts that irked you, or tickled your fancy (I like that expression).
Have you seen the movie, and if so, are there parts you think they missed out on, or was there any parts that you thought were perfect?

Personally, I really enjoy reading this book. A big reason for it is because it is unusual; it's not the "beautiful people get a beautiful life", nor is it overly depressed. The characters are relatable, and there are interesting twists in the plot. Also, it becomes very personal since the location is so familiar - I've lived in Blackeberg.

And also, a last question for those who've seen the movie (because I haven't yet):
Did they get the fact that Eli is a boy?
1 year later...
Doctor Death I got a copy of the book and finished reading it a couple of days ago. It was entirely different experience from the movie. I loved it.

Loneliness and alienation seem to be recurring themes of the novel. The cold, wintry atmosphere further emphasize this feeling of desolation. You were right about the author not attempting to make the characters "beautiful with beautiful lives". Also, he doesn't try to fit his main vampire character into the trendy "pretty boy" vampire mold either which is a breath of fresh air.

I think the movie was more focused on the interaction of Eli and Oskar; the book fleshed out all the other characters which made it a completely different experience from the film adaptation. But both are unique and worthy of their own praise. I recommend this book.

As for your last question, most of the other people I know who've watched the movie have a hard time accepting that Eli is a boy. Personally, I didn't take Eli's comment of not being a girl literally at first. But then I didn't dismiss the possibility either. I think the movie didn't explore that detail too much.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
donmara

I absolutely loved that movie.
donmara is offline   Reply With Quote