Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #26
ssj_goku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaloween View Post
As explained in my introduction, I am not a Gothic.
Even though I've allways had a special attraction for this culture or at least what I see of it as an outsider,
I don't actualy know a lot about it.
I have my own image of the "gothic world" but I might be mistaken so I wanted to ask all of you a simple (or maybe not so much) question:

To you, what is the Gothic philosophy made of?
My buddy Ray is more gothic than me, so I'm gonna let him use my acccount too anser u.

WHAT IS TYPED BELOWI S RAY NOTME!

what's up Gothic.net? my brio Goku was nice enough to let me borrow his account to answer this question. I have been goth since I first heard MCR (my Chemical Romance) in the sixth grade. Then I got into HIM (His Infernal Majesty) Thru Goku's older brother, and even though they say they;re 'Love-Metal' Villy Vaelo is totsally Goth (just look at how they dress). I also like obscure underground bands frtom Europe like Nightwish. Goku tried to get me into TSOL but they are kinda wierd. His brother also says that Bahouse and Joy Dvisioin are Goth, but they totally aren't anymore. They're hipster new-wave, and I HATE HIPSTERS.

Thing is Goth has no philosophy per say but to be GOTH you must have a certain outlook on life.

Goth's Must:

Like Rainy days over sunny days
Have pale, pale skin
WEAR BLACK
Be attracted to beauty in all it's forms GOTH IS ALSO ABOUT BEAUTY THHIS IS IMPORTANT
LIKE to dance. Dancingis how we exresshow hared it is to BE GOTH

Wear lots of black makeup
Smoking is optional
Cool tight clothing (black or pink/black and pink/red)

Remember, Gothi s about BEAUTY so you have to do your best to look as dark and beautiful as ossible.

Goths mustt like Graveyards. This is important because if you don't leik graveyards and monster movies you aren't going to like dark gothic beauty.

Goths musst not do drugs. lots of preps and teachers think this is really the opposite, but that's because of mis-information. If you do drugs you aren't goth, you're just a stupid hipster or prep or rapper. Goths ned to be clean so that they can appreciate the real beauty of the darkness around them, and not muddy it up with stupid things that maek u feel good for no reason.

Lots of people don't know this but goth came out of punk and lots of punks are styraight edge. It's the same with Goth.

I hope this anwers ur questions. I'm gonna give this back to Goku now.

Peace!

-Ray
ssj_goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #27
Timeless Rebellion

Bloody hell. That made me laugh. Thanks
Timeless Rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #28
OnyxBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Isaloween, I'm going to answer as objectively as possible. IF you're still offended that's your fault, not mine:
And you criticized my argument ender when you just used one.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #29
OnyxBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
The whole goth thing only came about after around 1979 so NO, not remotely old in the slightest. Name aside it has nothing to do with the historical tribes/people known as the goths ( Ostra and Visi ) .

It's not a lifestyle. NO ONE lives, breathes, eats and shits goth all day every day. No matter how much Siouxsie they listen to or how much black they pile on. We all have lives outside of the music. Jobs, school, kids, hobbies ect.

The music, clothes and shows are all a nice addition to our lives but they are not all consuming, and nor should they be. That would be a terrifically dull existance.

NO. Because it's simply a type of music. Like Jazz, or dance, or metal ect ect. Ok you might listen to it a LOT, and like to dress however it is you dress, but it's not something that controls your every waking thought and moment, and if it does you should really see a shrink because that's far from healthy.
A life style is also a persons values so it is a life style if not then why mind the gothic subculture. And as for the time period that was for the music and the wake of the subculture but if you include literature and fashion that goes way back.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #30
honeythorn

Your values should have nothing to do with what music you listen to.

The goth subculture is not based on anyones values. People don't get into it because of values. They get into it because they like the music and usually also the style of clothes that go with it.

Quote:
if not then why mind the gothic subculture
Because you like what you hear and see. It's nothing more and nothing less . Your values should not be based on a type of bloody music. They can certainly be faintly influenced perhaps, but such a thing does not make a type of music a lifestyle. Ever.

And no. The literature and fashion were adopted by those who listen to and made the music because it fitted in with the whole subcultre and appealed/s to people. They were not based on either.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #31
OnyxBat

I think differently but I like how you state you opinion.
How has Edgar Allen Poe and Ann Radcliffe come to be one of the subcultures Icon, their work has been thought off as "gothic". Since the subculture has different choices of style then that’s how we have steam punk and Victorian too.
Your right about the music it has made the subculture come about but I am just saying that it existed before but it was not exactly a formed subculture.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #32
Alan

By that logic:

EXISTENTIALISTS HAVE EXISTED FOREVER BECAUSE THERE HAS ALWAYS BEEN AN EXISTENCE.

Jesus fucking christ; that the word "goth" existed before doesn't mean shit. What, you think THIS PAINTING

Has something to do with THIS GUY?

OH, and also
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx Bat
And you criticized my argument ender when you just used one.
Could you elaborate this? Please tell me you don't honestly think "your fault, not mine" is the same as "your opinion, not mine" because that would be hilariously retarded.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #33
OnyxBat

No I do not think that and I am not just talking about the word "gothic" I am just talking about the style and genres.
Well you just ended the argument with out an insult, so yeah that’s what I meant.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #34
Alan

So you're somehow bitching about my post for NOT insulting?
Just leave. The stupidity pisses me off.

And you clearly know nothing about the gothic subculture.
Don't you have fucking fourteen years old? Why are you pretending you can school people that HAVE seen Cinema Strange. That have partied with Dinah Cancer.
For fucks sake, that HAVE OFFENDED Voltaire. How many people can say that?
And you fucking think you know better than us.
real classy
Old 10-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #35
OnyxBat

Fine alan think what you want, dont have enough energy to argue with you today.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #36
Alan

Please, you're still gonna stay logged on because you have nothing better to do than stay inside your bedroom on a thursday evening.
You're just trying to sound disinterested because you know you have no argument. And it's natural that you shouldn't have an argument. Again, you're fucking fourteen years old in a site with people who have been in the scene longer than you've had your period, some of them even being already grown up when the whole gothic thing started.

But you seriously can't even fucking admit to something so evident. I pity the people around you; there's nothing worse than a dipshit who will say the sky is green.
real classy
Old 10-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #37
OnyxBat

I was just trying to defend my answer like any other person around here ok, so just shut the fuck up for once and learn some common sense.So what I am not as old as you and I did not grow up while the scene was more active but god damn it I have the same right as you to talk about it and follow it. And if I seem like a dip shit to you then why talk to me huh, why argue? why? like you said I am just another fucking fourteen year old.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #38
Alan

Do not boss me around just because I have more faith than yourself in that you will some day stop being a dipshit if people don't pussyfoot just to make you feel special.
Right now you're a dipshit and you deserve to be treated as such so you can grow the fuck up.

And common sense? Defending a stupid opinion AGAINST FACTS is common sense?
I'll tell you a little secret:

IT AIN'T
real classy
Old 10-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #39
OnyxBat

you still haven't answered my question.
why the hell do you bother with me? and dont bring up faith with all the insults you have told me before.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #40
Alan

I did answer your question, don't tell me you're that fucking stupid that you only read what YOU want to read into everyone's comments.

Now, something funny, do notice how you were saying you don't have the energy to argue with me and here you're bitching at the tiniest things. So tiny that you're demanding me to do something I already did. Right on, hypocrite.
real classy
Old 10-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #41
OnyxBat

And I already told you that I am not going to take this whole faith crap give me a better answer than that, you are really sounding like a pussy right now. I highly respect my self that I do not leave things undone.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #42
KontanKarite

OnyxBat, he's not talking about faith. He's talking about you learning what is what. Hate to say it, but goth isn't what you make it. I know you'd just love to have Nightwish to be considered serious gothic rock, but it just isn't in the cards.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:40 PM   #43
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Rebellion View Post
Bloody hell. That made me laugh. Thanks
I know, right? I really have to give whoever he is credit for all the time they spend thinking up the unthinkable.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:52 PM   #44
KontanKarite

I blame his friend, Ray.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #45
Versus

Ray is breathe of fresh air. Like a messiah, or something.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:12 AM   #46
Isaloween

Hello all... I see you had fun!

Seriously, this thread wasn't meant to become a fire starter.
I'm completly allucinating. Anyway thanks, For most of you, Goth is nothing more than music and clothes (Oh and nice try Ray, but you know, I might not be a Goth, but that doesn't make me an idiot, even if a lot of people on there thinks so.)

Well since I made my bed, I'll lay in it saying that I thought and I still like to think that there is much more to it than just music and cloths. I've allways been attracted by the Goth stream because it seems deep to me, never actualy concidered myself as Goth because I base my conclusions on "what seemed" and not on facts ... I've allways thought Goths as being deep thinkers, creative, tolerant, open minded, quite knowledgefull (culturaly speaking) and mystical somehow, I guess I romantised the whole thing didn't I... The sure thing is that when I read this entire thread, I see that I might well have been wrong.
Isaloween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:16 AM   #47
Timeless Rebellion

I believe we should all carry ssj_goku on a chair and worship him like a god... until we get to the volcano we are gonna sacrifice him in.
Timeless Rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:20 AM   #48
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaloween View Post
I've allways thought Goths as being deep thinkers, creative, tolerant, open minded, quite knowledgefull (culturaly speaking) and mystical somehow, I guess I romantised the whole thing didn't I... The sure thing is that when I read this entire thread, I see that I might well have been wrong.
If goth were really more than music, you wouldn't have that, wouldn't you?

If goths have to be against organized religion (i.e. "freethinkers") then you're not going to find christian goths or muslim goths.
If goths have to like "gothic literature", you're not going to be talking a lot about Beat Literature.
If goths have to vote democrat, you won't find anarchists, commies, or the occasional republican.
If goths have to study liberal arts majors, you are prohibiting engineering students or nurses from being goth?

Don't you see that it's precisely by attributing more arbitrary definition than the base common factor gothic rock really is, you are actually just watering it down because you're saying nothing outside of your specific definition is goth?

Just look at OnyxBat's posts above and the pictures I placed. By her logic, am I supposed to like that painting of American Gothic?
I hate that picture. I find it boring. I'm into abstract expressionism and surrealism and cubism.... basically anything that doesn't look like anything in the real world.
Am I not a goth for knowing more art than just what is called "gothic"?
I'm pretty sure NOW you must see how that is precisely what would make us a bunch of ignorant word-worshippers (anything that has the word "goth" is "goth" even though gothic architecture and gothic literature have nothing to do with each other and even exalt different, sometimes opposing, values) instead of the camp-loving individuals goths really are.
real classy
Old 10-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #49
KontanKarite

This will really blow their minds.

I actually prefer to wear primarily green, purple, gray, navy, and browns. Seeing me in solid black would be like getting struck by lightning. NOT ONLY THAT, but I don't kick it at ya local goth night or club. But when you catch me getting ready for work or going out, you may hear some Kitchen playing or some Damned. I play Street Fighter to Fangs On Fur.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #50
ssj_goku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Ray is breathe of fresh air. Like a messiah, or something.
hes okay.
Quote:
KontanKarite OnyxBat, he's not talking about faith. He's talking about you learning what is what. Hate to say it, but goth isn't what you make it. I know you'd just love to have Nightwish to be considered serious gothic rock, but it just isn't in the cards.
Nightwish ROCKS \m/ \m/