Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:07 AM   #26
Jonathan Strange

Used to be my favorite band in the years of 7th and 8th grade. I always recommend the band to beginner people into power metal, but Epica and Blind Guardian are much, much better, though Tarja's soprano vocals are absolutely amazing. It's a damn shame she's no longer in the band.
Jonathan Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:16 AM   #27
Cyntrox

I listen to Nightwish.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:05 AM   #28
delicti

I doubt you'll find people who know, or are willing to admit they know if they do, the answer to your question here. There's a lot of bad blood between fans of bands like Nightwish and goths, mostly because the a lot of the former thought they were the latter at one point.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:16 AM   #29
Lapin

I've been listening to Nightwish a lot recently, mainly because I've listened to Within Temptation's songs so many times I have every chord memorized.

I just like the sound. Very soothing. Its probably because they're almost like listening to opera.

As for your question...I have not the slightest idea. I don't play video games. (Mostly because I lose. A lot.)
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #30
LiUsAiDh

I listened to their version of 'Walking in the Air' quite good. I like them

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:44 PM   #31
Crimsonide

I like them a lot. They were the first band that got me into metal, and I still enjoy them just as much as I used to.
Crimsonide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:46 AM   #32
maggot

Dude. What's with all the metalheads on here now?

It's because you idiots will just accept anyone now.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #33
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot

Beats me; I thought we were finally past this whole "spooky metal" thing a long time ago. It's painfully not goth; it'd be nice to see more goth music threads.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #34
Lapin

I was never under the impression that Nightwish (or Within Temptation) were Goth. In fact, I thought they were a bit like the Transiberian Orchestra, just kind of a metal/opera blend instead of classical.

What's "spooky metal"?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #35
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:

So you're saying we're idiots because we don't discriminate based on musical taste? Are you kidding me?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:34 AM   #36
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin
What's "spooky metal"?
Personal term for "gothic metal." Although it could probably be called "prog metal for the mentally slow," but that'd be more offensive. ;-)

Lots of bad blood between fans of the two where I am though; I'm surprised it's come up here as regularly as it has.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:38 AM   #37
Lapin

I think I know what you're talking about. I've heard a bit of it, but it really does nothing for me.

I think classical music has killed my love for any form of metal...
Old 08-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #38
Vyvian Blackthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicti
Personal term for "gothic metal." Although it could probably be called "prog metal for the mentally slow," but that'd be more offensive. ;-)

Lots of bad blood between fans of the two where I am though; I'm surprised it's come up here as regularly as it has.
Gosh. I always thought of that as Mid-Evil-Metill. O_o
Oh, but really, doesn't Gothic 'Meetill' have Dark Ages themes in order to state its' own styling? Or I may be confusing that with another genre??
The day's off.
Hm...

Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Old 08-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #39
maggot

Not what I'm saying at all.
I'm saying people aren't discriminating enough in general anymore... or something.

To be honest, I got no clue what I was talking about. I was just pissed off about my mother being an idiot again and it transfered into my already annoyed disposition at the fact that so many of our newbies now are metalheads.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #40
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne

Oh, but really, doesn't Gothic 'Meetill' have Dark Ages themes in order to state its' own styling? Or I may be confusing that with another genre??
The day's off.
Hm...
I used to think that was called Viking Metal, but a metalhead friend of mine gets offended when I call it that. :-D

Imitation black cheese, perhaps?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #41
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Not what I'm saying at all.
I'm saying people aren't discriminating enough in general anymore... or something.

To be honest, I got no clue what I was talking about. I was just pissed off about my mother being an idiot again and it transfered into my already annoyed disposition at the fact that so many of our newbies now are metalheads.
HAHAHA.
My mom is being an ass, too. I told her not to use my shaving razors anymore, because that's fucking gross to share (imo) and she got all pissy and told me I couldn't use her new shampoo. WHICH SHE ALREADY OFFERED.

So I'm making my own shampoo. Now she'll be jealous, because it's all natural and homemade and wonderful.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:21 PM   #42
Nitocris

This is, I suppose, a little unrelated to the original topic...

I enjoy a lot of metal bands, including Nightwish. And while it can be said that many of these bands share themes and elements with gothic music, it obviously is not goth. So I understand how people will get angry when those ignorant of the difference try to lump them together.

I know it sounds silly, but I just wish all of us morbid subculture people would try to get along to some degree instead of backbiting each other. You can listen to whatever you want besides goth, there's no contract that says you can't listen to metal when you enter the goth subculture, and vice versa.
Nitocris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #43
Lapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
HAHAHA.
My mom is being an ass, too. I told her not to use my shaving razors anymore, because that's fucking gross to share (imo) and she got all pissy and told me I couldn't use her new shampoo. WHICH SHE ALREADY OFFERED.

So I'm making my own shampoo. Now she'll be jealous, because it's all natural and homemade and wonderful.
A. Yes, that's gross.
B. Err...you know what you're doing, right?

Nitocris...you look a lot like this English teacher I had in high school.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #44
Nitocris

Quote:
I hope that's a compliment.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #45
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
A. Yes, that's gross.
B. Err...you know what you're doing, right?

A. I know, right!!
B. Yes, indeedy.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #46
Nitocris

What are you going to use to scent your shampoo? Sandalwood would be really yummy, I've never seen any shampoo in that scent before myself.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #47
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitocris

I know it sounds silly, but I just wish all of us morbid subculture people would try to get along to some degree instead of backbiting each other. You can listen to whatever you want besides goth, there's no contract that says you can't listen to metal when you enter the goth subculture, and vice versa.
It would be nice, but I think there's some fundamental philosophical differences what reasons people get into the goth scene vice a rock scene or a metal scene.

I could probably rant for hours about why goth has it's roots on trying to do something different, and how metal has it's roots in trying to do something that's the same as everyone else; but that's for somewhere else. ;-)
Old 08-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #48
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitocris
What are you going to use to scent your shampoo? Sandalwood would be really yummy, I've never seen any shampoo in that scent before myself.
I used rosemary and lemongrass. They're good for oily hair.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #49
Nitocris

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicti
It would be nice, but I think there's some fundamental philosophical differences what reasons people get into the goth scene vice a rock scene or a metal scene.

I could probably rant for hours about why goth has it's roots on trying to do something different, and how metal has it's roots in trying to do something that's the same as everyone else; but that's for somewhere else. ;-)
All I care about when someone enters a scene is whether they feel, in their soul, that is where they belong, and that they like whatever spawned that scene(ie in goth and metal it would obviously be the music). I have no right to sit around and judge whether someone else's reason is worthy, unless we're talking about someone so blatantly ignorant and trend-obsessed that they're just trying to fit in with everyone else.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:33 PM   #50
Nitocris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
I used rosemary and lemongrass. They're good for oily hair.
Oooh yeah I think I've used soaps and shampoos with those in them for that very purpose. Smells fantastic too.