Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
carakitty

Gothin' Up the Scrubs

Yay, another quarter of Vet Tech school!
Which means, another three months where I basically live in teal or burgundy scrubs!
I'm trying to think of ways I can do a better job of adding a Gothic flair to my required attire without looking like I'm trying too hard. I like the Romanti-Goth mostly but also a little industrial too.
Gods, one would think after 30+ years I could dress myself unassisted but nooo....
Thankfully my school seems pretty mellow as far as extra clothes, makeup and accessories.
I'm just totally fucking clueless when it comes to fashion.
And people have accused me of being lazy too. SHAME ON THEM!
Help, please?
Old 06-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Tam Li Hua

If you google "halloween scrubs" in the shopping tab, there's a -ton- of varieties! Hope this helps!
Old 06-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
carakitty

Some of those are quite worthy! Unfortunately while in school I'm stuck with the uniform scrubs which are teal, burgundy, or royal blue and the scrubs themselves may not be altered.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Saya

I'm having a hard time thinking of what you could add to scrubs to "goth it up" without having something that might be considered a hazard, like brooches or clunky jewelry.

I think its just one of those things where you just gotta suck it up, I bet you look nice in your teal scrubs anyway ^_^ And its only three months! When you graduate you can wear as many halloween scrubs as you please.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
Greggles

striped long sleeves under short sleeve scrubs. i see nurses and docs all the time with long sleeve shirts under there scrubs.
Greggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
carakitty

Saya- I hope you're right about the Halloween scrubs. More and more places are requiring uniform scrubs these days it seems Also, my program isn't just 3 months. The average length is 24 months but I'm on the extended plan so I'm 36 months.

Greggles- thanks. I was having layering fun when it was colder but it takes every ounce of effort some days not to rip off all clothing because it's too fucking hot here in summer!

At least I have my cat hat finally. Yes it is black, knitted, has a scarf built in, and when I wore it the other day people looked at me like I was crazy but I still love it dammit and it will continue to be worn!
I found some pretty hair doo-dads not long ago that I will be wearing.
Then there's always black eyeliner and nail polish to save the day!
I could try to find a watch with a second hand.
Definitely need to beware of the dangley earrings, necklaces, and other baubles though.

Thanks for the brainstorming!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
Saya

Sorry, my brain apparently shut down when you said "another quarter" and only turned back on when you said "for another three months". Didn't connect the two, so I thought you were saying you only have three months to go XD

But yeah, some nice hair buckles and even small earrings can make all the difference too. How against it would they be if you teased your hair? XD
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
gothicusmaximus

You know, I think I'd be reluctant to allow anyone who 'gothed up' their scrubs to do so much as take my blood pressure.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Razeal18

^^ pansy. ya know cara you could always "accidentally" get "attacked" by fur is murder extreamists and then come to school in a bloody version of your scrubs. I feel that would add an aggreable level of goth while still maintaining a medical aura. All kidding aside i agree with the accesorising. Try some studded bracelets.
Razeal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
carakitty

Saya- No worries about not making connections, the only reason why I know half the time is because sometimes I feel like this program will never end! Good news is, even if I don't graduate the program I can still probably get hired in a clinic.

Thanks very much for the compliment on my scrubs, by the way. These things do nothing to enrich the pretty goth girl trapped in my soul. So when people say nice things about them it really makes my day *smooch*

About the teasing my hair.... uh... =) It's half way down my back now and the greys are poking though again. So I'd reckon teasing it would scare even a Doberman Besides that I have no clue how to do it. That's what google's for eh?

gothicus- *sigh* traditionalists. But I"m not taking YOUR blood pressure, I'd be vaccinating your Fluffy while under the direct supervision of a DVM =)

Razeal- lol @ getting mauled by extremists. I don't think I'd do a studded bracelet. I don't want to maim my patients. I could go for a collar though. I do have a collar that I like lots. IT really was made for a small dog. It's shiny black fake leather with little clear rhinestone studs. I had to stab a new hole into it on the end with a BBQ fork to make it fit but what can I say? Love it.

Might post a pic someday of these gothed out teal scrubs. Or my best attempt anyway. Thanks again for the ideas
Old 07-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #11
LenorePoe

During my CNA clinicals I could only wear navy blue scrubs. I think my black hair, black makeup and drawn on eyebrows saved me though. I know I've seen some cute scrubs out there though; and Walmart has BLACK scrubs!! I'm trying to get a job at the nursing home where I did my clinicals, if I get it I'm soo going onn a scrub shopping spree. (:
I notice a lot of CNAs and RNs get their look across through accessorizing.
LenorePoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #12
carakitty

accessories + make up FTW!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #13
Li'l Miss Sticky Kiss

I know your pain I work in the Hospital in ER/OR and get my scrubs out of a machine daily. So, the best thing I can offer besides fingerless gloves (Halloween is coming up so Party City may help or Hot Topic) is get a book on Vintage Hairstyling.
Or when I was is school, I would wear fun socks and extra long undershirt so black, purple, red lace would show just a little at the bottom but not too much.
An Industrial looking watch also may work. My watch is all I can get away with now that I am not a student.
Li'l Miss Sticky Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #14
carakitty

I've been window shopping at watches but my mom and dad got me a nice one (although not Gothy) for my birfdey in Jan.

Today I got some value priced black scrub pants to wear with my forest green volunteer shirt. Those will parade around every Thursday. Oh, and new shoes too! Converse low style with purple + black zebra stripes!

I'm seriously stocking up on add-on stuff when the Halloweeny stuff starts hitting the shelves.

I LOVE THE SEASON OF FALL!