Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
LadyStardust

And people thought I was lame for not liking second life...

http://cbs3.com/local/kimberly.jerni....2.801089.html

Woman Attempts to Kidnap Ex-Virtual Boyfriend

CLAYMONT, Del. (CBS 3) ― A woman wanted in the bizarrely complicated attempted kidnapping of her former virtual boyfriend has been apprehended after a multi-state search.

New Castle County Police said 33-year-old Kimberly Jernigan of North Carolina was apparently distraught after her online relationship with a 52-year-old man from Claymont, Delaware came to an end.

The pair apparently met online in "Second Life." A virtual relationship began between the victim, whose character was a Lion, and Jerrigan, whose online persona was said to be a virtual woman.

When the two met in reality several months ago, police said the victim ended the relationship, sending Jernigan into a downward spiral.

In the beginning of August, Jernigan allegedly drove to the victim's Pennsylvania workplace and attempted to kidnap him at gunpoint. While she was unsuccessful, she returned two weeks later to track down the victim's Delaware address.

Police said Jernigan posed as a postal worker in order to locate the victim's new address, as he had recently moved. After four days of searching, authorities said she found residence in the Whitney Presidential Towers on the 7100 block of Society Drive in Claymont.

With her dog Gogi in tow, investigators said Jernigan cut and removed a screened window in order to enter her virtual ex's apartment.

When the victim arrived home on Thursday, August 21, he told police he saw someone pointing an object at his chest that was projecting a laser beam. He immediately fled the apartment and contacted police.

Officers arriving at the scene discovered a pair of handcuffs, a roll of duct tape, a Taser and a BB gun as well as the suspect's dog.

Police said Jernigan had bound her dog Gogi with duct tape and put him in the bathroom as he was making too much noise. The dog was said to be uninjured, but the SPCA is looking into possible charges of animal cruelty.

Approximately an hour after the incident, authorities in Maryland spotted Jernigan's vehicle at a rest stop on I-95. She was taken into custody after a brief struggle.

Jernigan is currently facing charges of attempted kidnapping, burglary and aggravated menacing.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
LiUsAiDh

This reminds me of an episode of CSI: New York. Maybe she got the idea from that. >_>

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
LadyStardust

I doubt it. It's disturbingly common for people to develop an obssessive fixation on someone, even through electronic correspondence.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
Deadmanwalking_05

True,I would've hated to been in that guys boots.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
Underwater Ophelia

Wow...
That's pretty crazy.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
TheBloodEternity

Some people are just.... unbelievably insane.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
Calypso

That is disturbingly close to where I live. o.O; Poor Delaware. I almost joined that game, but decided the prices were a rip off and my PC couldn't handle it. I do wonder why the guy would meet her in public if he planned to break up with her.
Calypso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
Kristin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso
That is disturbingly close to where I live. o.O; Poor Delaware. I almost joined that game, but decided the prices were a rip off and my PC couldn't handle it. I do wonder why the guy would meet her in public if he planned to break up with her.
He was probably upset that her "virtual persona" did not match her actual physical persona.
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
Calypso

LOL, he'd have some nerve for a lion-man.
Calypso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
Kristin

Heh, seriously!
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #11
Tam Li Hua

On-line relationships are weird in general. But, in the end, they're just like any other dating relationships; the person can seem great and perfect at first, but then you hit a snag and realize that this person isn't for you.

Either way, though, chick needs some therapy or somethin'. O.o;;;
Old 08-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #12
Deadmanwalking_05

Agreed.

Me thinks a little time in the "Wacko Basket" wouldn't do her any harm.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
czarina

wow, that woman is crazy.
czarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:35 PM   #14
TurquoiseXx

Hmm... although this does sound crazy, I wonder why the woman actually freaked out. Was it because the guy didn't want to be with her? Or was it because the guy did something bad and she wanted payback, or both?

Either way, she could have gone about it differently. She definitely needs help, big time.
TurquoiseXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:47 PM   #15
Saya

See kids, this is why you never give out your address online >.<

But really, holy shit.

Should send this article around the rp servers on WoW, might make people think twice before marrying that nice Blood Elf who runs them through instances.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #16
Sir_Vex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseXx
Hmm... although this does sound crazy, I wonder why the woman actually freaked out. Was it because the guy didn't want to be with her? Or was it because the guy did something bad and she wanted payback, or both?
I have a feeling she played second life to the point it was her first life, then found some sort of twisted "love." He didn't want to be with her outside of the game (or perhaps he didn't see it as a game and just didn't want to be with her at all) and this upset her to the point of kidnapping him. Similar things have happened without the internet as a medium for people.

I'm not so sure it's payback as much as a twisted desperate obsession.
Sir_Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #17
DeathToLems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
On-line relationships are weird in general. But, in the end, they're just like any other dating relationships; the person can seem great and perfect at first, but then you hit a snag and realize that this person isn't for you.
Yup. Been there done that. Worst 5 years of my life.
I'm pretty sure that if I let the relationship go on for another year and tried to escape then, he might have gotten so violent god knows what would have happend to me.
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #18
Huoliuhi

Happiness

thanks a lot , bump up up up!!
Huoliuhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #19
Minyaliel

Arrrgh... this Huo thing makes me wish I had a shotgun to chase away its bloody cheeriness... HRMPF!
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #20
Mealla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso
They probably really hit it off online, but maybe the way she looked and/or the way she acted in person (maybe he saw a hint of the creepy obsessiveness) made him decide to break it off with her.

Second Life is a good concept, and I enjoyed it for a little while, but it's buggy, it lags like crazy, you have to have money to get anything that looks decent in the game or learn how to make it yourself, and everyone I've encountered on there seems to be rather cliquish.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #21
LaBelleDameSansMerci

People's voices can be a major turnoff too, especially if you're expecting something that you don't get.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #22
Despanan

Who the fuck thought you were 'lame' for not liking second life?
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:13 AM   #23
PortraitOfSanity

He deserves to be kidnapped for being dumb enough to give out his address online, and for being desperate enough to have an online relationship.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #24
Mealla

There's nothing wrong with relationships that start out online. Wouldn't say it's necessarily desperate either. Can be dangerous though...this article being case in point.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #25
TheBloodEternity

Every single relationship (dating-wise) I've personally dealt with that went from online to "irl" went south pretty fucking fast. The chick always turned out to be completely batshit insane.
One in particular actually ended in the girl killing herself.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote