Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
Raveanya

What bands do you consider gothic?

I've noticed a lot of controversy in the music threads about who is and who isn't goth. I'm curious to know what bands/people you think are goth and who you think are not. Labeled gothic or not, a band or person can still hold a gothic title, even if not intended.

So, who do you think is goth?
Raveanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Still Jack

Search the threads and find everyone's opinion on the matter. Do you really think this deserves yet another thread?
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
Raveanya

It's collective, and I'm to damn lazy to look through every thread to look for it. Would you do it? Really?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveanya View Post
It's collective, and I'm to damn lazy to look through every thread to look for it. Would you do it? Really?
Yeah, you really ought to. But think long and hard about resurrecting it because usually the people who participated in the threads are long gone. And it's really nothing new, you'll find it on every other goth forum out there.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
Not Tha Duckman

Thumbs up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBfAdz-cMGk
Not Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
Caroline Kershaw

coldplay or marilyn manson

what goes around comes around
oviously if it didnt this wourld would
be confusing it would be like saying
hi to ya friend and they just stayed silent
FOREVERRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Caroline Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
Sinjob

Most informative thread ever.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
korinna5555

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
SiouxsiePernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline Kershaw View Post
coldplay or marilyn manson
Coldplay? Hahaha!

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
the-nihilist

Thumbs up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3jv2cUgt1M
Old 08-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
Geoluhread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxsiePernova View Post
Coldplay? Hahaha!
Same reaction
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
DepthsofSpace

I'm pretty liberal with my definition of 'Goth' music. Anything that has substantial influence from the early days of the subculture, post-punk rock, shoegaze, synthpop/EBM and new wave with a 'dark' aesthetic (and isn't metal*) can shelter itself in my 'Gothic & Darkwave' playlist on iTunes. Does it mean they are 'Goth Rock' or even Goth**? No, it just means they get thrown in a playlist I regularly enjoy.

This includes everything from Joy Division/New Order, The Sisters of Mercy, This Mortal Coil, Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Fields of the Nephilim, Love & Rockets, Abney Park, Emilie Autumn, The Shroud, Android Lust, Ministry and many, many others...

*NFD gets a reprieve.

**Not to mention The Cure, The Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus and Siouxsie Sioux (and many others) don't consider themselves Goth and obviously they get worshiped as the gods of the subculture.

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #13
Raveanya

Thanks everyone who didn't respond like a smart-ass!
Old 08-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
Malice In Wonderland

Bands that play Goth Rock, or a variation of.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:33 AM   #15
Anarasha

Quote:
Coldplay? Hahaha!
I don't know what scares me the most o.o that the person you quoted called Coldplay and Marilyn Manson Goth, or that you chose to comment on Coldplay over MM o.o

Seriously, though. I am not too good on the old goth rock bands myself, but check out Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Alien Sex Fiends or do a google search on old gothic rock.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:49 PM   #16
SiouxsiePernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarasha View Post
I don't know what scares me the most o.o that the person you quoted called Coldplay and Marilyn Manson Goth, or that you chose to comment on Coldplay over MM o.o

Seriously, though. I am not too good on the old goth rock bands myself, but check out Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Alien Sex Fiends or do a google search on old gothic rock.
I've never heard Coldplay referred to as being gawf before.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #17
Mark Anthony Quested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveanya View Post
I've noticed a lot of controversy in the music threads about who is and who isn't goth. I'm curious to know what bands/people you think are goth and who you think are not. Labeled gothic or not, a band or person can still hold a gothic title, even if not intended.

So, who do you think is goth?
Ironically, a lot of the so called Goth artists do not regard themselves as Goth! It was a term that was invented and into which a variety of bands were categorised into.

I am currently listening to "This Corrision" by The Sisters of Mercy. And Andrew Eldritch - one of the Goth legends - HATES being called Goth.

So what is Goth, indeed! Even the Goth artists argue as to whether or not they're Goth!

However, here are some of my current faves:

Carl Douglas McCoy, aka Fields of the Nephilim, The Nefilim, and Sheerfaith (he's literally a Goth artist in every sense of the word!!!)

Fields of the Nephilim (1984-1991, 1997-1998, 2003 to present)

The Nefilim

Last Rites

NFD

The Eden House

(Notice a slight Nephilim pattern emerging!!!? LOL!)

Also...

Danielle Dax
Enigma
Pink Floyd
Johnny Cash
The Sisters of Mercy

MQ
Mark Anthony Quested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:56 AM   #18
SiouxsiePernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Anthony Quested View Post

The Eden House
They are a fantastic band.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #19
Mark Anthony Quested

Quote:
They are a fantastic band.
Aye! The Eden House are a great band! I saw them live a few weeks ago, said hello to Tony Pettit (again), chatted with the violinist, shared a door step with Simon Rippin (Simon and I were sheltering from the rain), etc.

I also saw Last Rites and NFD in May and said hello to Nod Wright and Tony Pettit, and got served on the merchandise stall by Tony and Bob White.

I also recently saw Carl McCoy three times live in concert! I have actually stood next to my Goth hero, Carl, and smiled like a very happy fan!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #20
DemiGoth

I feel there's four kinds of goth music, theres goth rock, which I don't listen to much, but I could if I really wanted to. There's gothic music where the music is just dark and shows gothic images or the band members may look goth, but the music itself is just metal. There's Industrial/EBM/aggrotech, which is goth music but it's electronic/techno/fast paced. And last there's goth metal, which is basically gothic music and goth mock combined. Here's some examples.

Goth Rock-BauHaus, MisFits, Sisters Of Mercy, 69 Eyes.

Gothic Music (Metal)-Behemoth, Lamb of God, Avenged Sevenfold, Rob Zombie, Bullet For My Valentine.

Industrial/EBM/Agrrotech- Skinny Puppy, Dawn of Ashes, Suicide Commando, Grendel, FrontLine Assembly.

Goth Metal- DeathStars, Cradle of Filth, Evanescence.

Now obviously people will think differently from this but this is my opinion and most likely I'm not gonna change it.
DemiGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:14 PM   #21
Mark Anthony Quested

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiGoth View Post
I feel there's four kinds of goth music, theres goth rock, which I don't listen to much, but I could if I really wanted to. There's gothic music where the music is just dark and shows gothic images or the band members may look goth, but the music itself is just metal. There's Industrial/EBM/aggrotech, which is goth music but it's electronic/techno/fast paced. And last there's goth metal, which is basically gothic music and goth mock combined. Here's some examples.

Goth Rock-BauHaus, MisFits, Sisters Of Mercy, 69 Eyes.

Gothic Music (Metal)-Behemoth, Lamb of God, Avenged Sevenfold, Rob Zombie, Bullet For My Valentine.

Industrial/EBM/Agrrotech- Skinny Puppy, Dawn of Ashes, Suicide Commando, Grendel, FrontLine Assembly.

Goth Metal- DeathStars, Cradle of Filth, Evanescence.

Now obviously people will think differently from this but this is my opinion and most likely I'm not gonna change it.
I have felt that Cradle of Filth were more a comedy band than a Goth band!

Here's my pennies worth...

Bauhaus, The Sisters of Mercy, The Cult, All About Eve, Fields of the Nephilim, The Nefilim, The Mission, Danielle Dax, Last Rites, NFD, The Eden House...notice a slight old school Goth trend emerging? LOL!
Old 08-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #22
DemiGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Anthony Quested View Post
I have felt that Cradle of Filth were more a comedy band than a Goth band!

Here's my pennies worth...

Bauhaus, The Sisters of Mercy, The Cult, All About Eve, Fields of the Nephilim, The Nefilim, The Mission, Danielle Dax, Last Rites, NFD, The Eden House...notice a slight old school Goth trend emerging? LOL!
I personally don't see how you'd consider them a "comedy" band. Is it the singer's voice? In that case I understand what you're saying. The singer's voice isn't very good which is why I don't listen to them.
DemiGoth is offline   Reply With Quote