Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #26
lady_cthulhu

Oh, nice to meet a fellow artist and writer! Yes, Miss Descendant is much fun to talk to.

I would be happy and honored to post something, and to see your style as well. Since you don't do computer art, I assume you have a traditional art degree? I love traditional media. I was trained in it a little bit, since the techniques used in computer art come from the traditional. I'm learning more about it, but I'm not as good at it as I am on the computer.

Oh! Is any of your writing published? Where might I go to read some of it?

Many, many thanks for the warm welcome!

Last edited by lady_cthulhu; 07-08-2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: forgot sentence
lady_cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #27
TheFeatheredÆtheling

Yes, I have a traditional art degree. My favourite media are pen&ink, watercoulors, and good 'ole pencil. Computer skills are such a benefit these days; I'm such a relic in so many ways... If you'd like to see some examples of my style, I've posted a wide variety of illustrations in the "Dark Arts" section I mentioned earlier. As for writing, I haven't had anything published yet (I'm working on it); however, I've submitted a few things in the Literature section that you could read. Thanks for your interest, and I hope that you'll get around to posting some of your works sometime.
TheFeatheredÆtheling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #28
Razeal18

Welcome Lady_cthulhu,

Very pleased to meet you. Could you rate for me the art Institute and thier program. I am looking to get a BS in Game design and i thought as a person with first hand experience of a related program you might beable to shed some light.
Razeal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #29
lady_cthulhu

Razael18, it is nice to meet you as well!

As far as AI goes, it has excellent programs for Game Design and Animation, not as good for traditional art training. The GAD degree was still being formulated at the time I went through, so it's probably even better now than it was.

Most of my teachers were former industry professionals, including someone who used to work for Disney and Dreamworks (we're talking major work on 'Sleeping Beauty', 'Anastasia', 'Titan AE' etc.), several instructors who worked for Rainbow Studios etc. So not only can they teach the skills, they can give you tips on how to actually break into the industry. It's a rough school though, you will have to work pretty hard.

On the whole, I'd say they probably have the best program currently available, but I advise you to seek out testimonials from other schools as well. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #30
lady_cthulhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFeatheredÆtheling View Post
Yes, I have a traditional art degree. My favourite media are pen&ink, watercoulors, and good 'ole pencil. Computer skills are such a benefit these days; I'm such a relic in so many ways... If you'd like to see some examples of my style, I've posted a wide variety of illustrations in the "Dark Arts" section I mentioned earlier. As for writing, I haven't had anything published yet (I'm working on it); however, I've submitted a few things in the Literature section that you could read. Thanks for your interest, and I hope that you'll get around to posting some of your works sometime.
Two posts because I could fit everything...

I've been over there and checked out your art, as I said your pen and ink work is amazing! I am currently going through the literature section browsing for your work, and what I have found so far I do like very much. Please keep it coming!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #31
carakitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_cthulhu View Post
Me too - almost two years. Question: have you ever had a devonshire tea? You know (if I've got this correct), scones with butter, jam and clotted cream?
Yum. My mom and I did as close to an authentic Devonshire Tea as we could. Our scones recipe was from the British Isles, as was the tea, and we made our own clotted cream. Then we sat out on the back patio to enjoy it in the spring sunshine with the cats joining us.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #32
Melly

Well hello there! I see you live in EPT. A very dear friend of mine lives there, and it seems a few of your interests match up. There must be something in the air down there that spawns awesome and enjoyable people who like food and writing (she's a lyricist) and ties to the Armed Services.
Melly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #33
lady_cthulhu

@CaraKitty
-oh, you lucky, you! Your devonshire tea sounds delectable. How did you go about making the clotted cream? That's something I'm dying to try.

@Melly
-Hi there, Melly! So you have a friend in El Paso too, eh? I think it's Ft. Bliss here, it drags in a lot of interesting people. I can't talk too much about the base because of OpSec, but we've got a lot of international people here, the atmosphere is very cultural. I think it contributes (especially to the food bit! you can get real German beer here!).

Anyway, it's nice to meet you. If your friend is of the gothic bent, perhaps she will join and regale us with some of her word-bending talents?
Old 07-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #34
Melly

Ooooh, German beer sounds delicious! And well my friend was born in EPT and is in the process of joining the Navy.

Perhaps she shall! If she can get enough income to keep her internet running that is.
Melly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #35
carakitty

My Lady,
The clotted cream was pretty easy to do. I just found this page with a couple ways on how to make it. If I recall correct, Mom + I did the unpasteurized cream method. I think you could also do cream cheese, whipping cream, and a bit of vanilla + sugar. Quite yummy no matter how I've done it. Would love to try the real thing some day.

Sounds like you're also military? Where did I miss that detail? I've been married to an active duty air force intel man for over a decade. One would think I wouldn't still be so clueless ;p
Old 07-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #36
lady_cthulhu

Thanks carakitty! I don't have any unpasturized cream, but I do know where to find me some marscapone.

Yes, I am an Army Wife (TM?). Lol, we've been married two years now, just getting to have the actual ceremony (JP'd it two years ago while he was stationed in Korea). Ironically enough, he's Army Intel. Small world eh?

Last edited by lady_cthulhu; 07-12-2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: added reason for delayed ceremony, to avoid confusion (even though it's SO much fun)
Old 07-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #37
carakitty

lol we had the JP marriage + delayed ceremony too. Ours was delayed by just a few months. Or several years, depending on how you look at it.

We had originally planned to get married in church but then there was a mis-communication from the Priest. Apparently there was some sort of class/ retreat that my then fiance + I were supposed to attend before the church would marry us but Priest didn't tell us about it until after my man had left and his schedule would not allow for us to attend the one in his area. So we ended up keeping the 'party' slot anyway. By that time my mom had done the legwork to set up the caterer + florist + I had talked with my bridesmaids about their dresses, yada yada yada.. I rented a minister from some website (lol) and then we got the real Blessing from my church when I was in my last term of pregnancy. Sheesh.

What sort of Intel does your husband do? Mine's an analyst. It's kind of nice, his security clearance forces him to keep work at work most of the time

Yup, small world indeed. And interesting to note how many JP weddings there are!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #38
lady_cthulhu

Lol, yeah, churches can have very strict rules about marriage ceremonies (with good reason I suppose, what with some people having unrealistic expectations). We're trying to get an Army chaplain to do ours; the chaplain who was going to do it had some sudden difficulties. We've got until October 31st to find someone, but as it's already July I'd better give the hubs a shove towards the Chaplain's office.

Yeah, mine's an analyst as well, though his work follows him home more than I'd like (intel office politics = a total drag). Not the intel part, but the other business. I'm sure you've heard, the Army's having problems keeping command out of the soldier's house, what with that Colonel's wife and all.