Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:22 AM   #1
kitten

You're views on Alice Cooper?

My uncle introduced me to Alice Cooper when I was 13. (This is the man who is in a metal band still, at the age of 46, They sound Very 80's metal, lol, it's adorable) ANYWAY, Alice Cooper is what got me into listening to alternative music. I am not a fan of his earlier stuff, but I adore Brutal PLanet and Dragontown. I also own "The eyes of Alice Cooper" but I don't like it very much. What are you're views on Alice Cooper.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:06 AM   #2
MollyMac

He wrote a book on golf. It's over, man. Over.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #3
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Is it over for Rozz? Is it over for Siouxsie?
Naw, in the same we way we keep alive the old stuff from the 80's, we can keep alive AC from the 70's.

Billion Dollar Babies, Desperado, Elected, Muscle of Love, Welcome to my nightmare, Only women bleed, Alice was a unique leader of his day. I was there, and it was grand! I still have his music on vinyl. So what if he owns stock in General Electric, so does Ozzy.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:05 AM   #4
chelseagirl

I was never too much into him, but my best girl friend is totally obsessed with him. EVERY halloween, she dresses as Alice Cooper.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:45 AM   #5
kitten

glad I'm not the only one. I adore him. My uncle and I almost got to see him with Murderdolls this past year, but we where too late for tickets. He has a video (taped by his friend) of Brutal Planet at one of his concerts. That shit is so cool. I would pay a infinite amount of money to see him...or meet him.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
MIRON

I played golf with him about 15 years ago. He kicked my ass.
He was a big influence on the immerging LA deathrock scene in the late 70's, everybody stole a little bit from Alice.
MIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
DeathChii

Oh I abseloutley love him, he got me in to good music x] lol I mean I listened to crap before I discovered him... I was obsessed with his music for a little bit though =P
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #8
kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChii
Oh I abseloutley love him, he got me in to good music x] lol I mean I listened to crap before I discovered him... I was obsessed with his music for a little bit though =P
That's ow I was with Dragontown and brutal planet. I was given the CD's for Christmas and totally burned them out. (If thats possible)
Old 08-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
Katanshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten
My uncle introduced me to Alice Cooper when I was 13. (This is the man who is in a metal band still, at the age of 46, They sound Very 80's metal, lol, it's adorable) ANYWAY, Alice Cooper is what got me into listening to alternative music. I am not a fan of his earlier stuff, but I adore Brutal PLanet and Dragontown. I also own "The eyes of Alice Cooper" but I don't like it very much. What are you're views on Alice Cooper.
I'm listening to DragonTown now.

He's mellowed out a lot - I guess I just listen to him to wax nostalgic about what he stood for back in the day.

Better music out there now, well, better then too - but there's only going to be one Alice Cooper.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #10
Aaroneet

Honestly, I have respect for Alice Cooper for the risks he took with his shows (i.e the whole "biting the head off a chicken" bit), and the look he pioneered with his makeup. Many bands have tried to imitate the shock-rock style and strike up the same chord that he did, but these bands are mostly just that-imitators.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #11
biohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten
I wish my family had introduced me too good tastes in music. They have awful tastes, and I have always hated their music. I started to like music when I was 15, when I finnally got internet.
As for Cooper, I don`t know much about him. My friend loves them though.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:39 AM   #12
delicti

Nothing wrong with Alice Cooper. Both he and Screamin' Jay Hawkins were doing shock rock when it was actually shocking, and did it well. Anything anyone does to shock on stage now-a-days is just a pale imitation them, or Iggy.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:53 AM   #13
Linen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
So what if he owns stock in General Electric, so does Ozzy.
There is a saying that goes: "If you're not liberal when you're young, you have no heart. If you're not conservative when you're old, you have no brain."

I get the gist of it, but I don't agree with the conservative/old/no brain part, except perhaps when it comes to financial terms (wanting security in your old age).

As for Alice Cooper in general I think he is definitely a creative, talented, and bold person. Obviously he has inspired a lot of people.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #14
Demyx

Naw, man-Alice Cooper is awesome, but I grew up on Ozzy, ACDC, Elton John-you know the usual.
Demyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:58 AM   #15
Katanshin

See... this is why my taste in rock and metal revolves mainly around older stuff, i.e. metallica (say what you will :P), guns, cooper, ozzy, sabbath in particular, pantera, etc etc... So much ground was broken back then, and so many individual styles! I mean NiN, for example - and the heavier stuff from prodigy. Bands these days (and I don't listen to much newer stuff), for example rasmus etc sound like they're trying too hard and there's no edge to their music. Seems like they're trying too hard to get into the industry and there's just nothing interesting about their music to me.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:18 AM   #16
LegendGirl

I had the privilege of seeing Alice Cooper in concert two summers ago. The show was AWESOME. He played all his classics, opening the show with "No More Mr. Nice Guy", and closing with "Poison". He's still a master showman. I was especially encouraged to see all the youngsters in front of the stage, singing along. They knew all the lyrics. There may yet be hope for the future.

By the way, my hearing wasn't right for two months after that.

Alice's yellow-and-white python (named "Alice") swallowed an electric heating pad (!) a couple of nights after the concert I saw; she had to have surgery, and was retired to a reptile sanctuary. Just an interesting sidebar to an eventful show.
LegendGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:38 AM   #17
Demyx

Aw, poor snake T_T
Demyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #18
MaguMan

I'm not sure the Heath Department is too pleased with him feeding Frankenstein raw and uncooked flesh, as he disseminates in his songs.
MaguMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:00 PM   #19
Mr. D.

He's absolutely one of the pioneers of our modern gothic scene. From the makeup and overall dark lyric content to the theatrics, there is very little we do now that he didn't do then. Only the technology has changed. Check out Cold Ethyl and I Love The Dead.
Mr. D. is offline   Reply With Quote