Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: Goths wear black because:
They feel no need to express emotion through fashion 70 12.94%
Black is how they feel inside 114 21.07%
It looks smart, and suits the night time. 113 20.89%
Black being dominant, Goths are trying to dominate! 31 5.73%
other (please state) 213 39.37%
Voters: 541. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #476
darkmartin82

oh jep, a long time ago I bought black pants, found them usefull, comfy, and it suited with most other colors (as far as I got those back then). after that I found myself in a theatre production at school, wearing all black at stage and found it to be nice. hardly changed it, accept that I incorperated blue pants and shirts and the gray or red sweaters.

I don't wear black to be the darkest or so, I just like dark colors for although they make me whiter (and I already am pale) it beats jelow, or some other sick color. jelow, green, green and brown make me look rather dead, sick or just weird.

oh yes it also can make you look smart.
darkmartin82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #477
chloegoth

I voted "Other", and here's the requested explanation:

If I wear all black, it always matches. I can dress in the dark and it looks good, every time, as long as I make sure I match the textures and all my clothes fit me.

Seriously, though... I wear a lot of black with a little bit of color, because I feel that the color stands out that much more if I don't cover myself in it.
chloegoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:07 PM   #478
Icarian Decoding

Why do I wear black?
Because I can blend in with every other guy who wears black.
Then when they ask the question, "Alright, who did this?", I look like every other guy out there. ^_^
Icarian Decoding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #479
Godslayer Jillian

Damn!
That was so funny I don't even know what to do!!
And I'm not being sarcastic. I don't know how did you do it, but you hit a spot on me that thinks that was so funny that laughing is not enough, so I'll just say:
That was funny!!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:34 PM   #480
Corpus_Draconis

Good plan Icarian.

By the way Icarian, your name makes me think of ice bergs.
And Icarus, but that's a little more obvious.
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #481
Cicero

I vote other - Ask 10 different goths why they wear black, you'll get 10 different answers (just like you'll get 10 different answers when asking what goth is ). This is simply because everyone chooses why they do things for different reasons.

My own reasons for wearing black are thus:

I've never been very good at picking which colours go well together, and my solution, ever since I was old enough to choose my own clothes, is to match every colour of the rainbow with black.

Besides the ease of choosing what to wear, I like the way black contrasts with the colour of my skin, just as I like the dark shimmer of black velvet and the faint patterns visible in black damask. It's beautiful, and it's easy - it goes with anything and is available everywhere.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:51 PM   #482
Corpus_Draconis

One thing I like to do is have a black-and-one-colour theme. For example, I'll wear black pants, black shirt, but with a neon green tanktop, green sash in my hair, green eyeshadow and a green belt or something.

But I wear black because it makes me comfortable. I feel like it suits me. I don't feel self-conscious when I wear it; I even feel more confident, even when someone gives me a full-on stare.
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #483
A Simple Poet

Goths wear black because it is smart, and Goths are smart, and it smarts for a Goth to look at pastels in the day time, and also because Black is unapologetic, indomitable, and sophisticated. Black conveys power, intrigue, and intelligence simaltaneously.

And Lord Byron loved black...

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:08 AM   #484
end.of.eternity

Black clothing makes look more skinny.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #485
Icarian Decoding

Icebergs?
Wtf?

Anyway.
This thought occured in my head:
What color are suits? Black.
What color are most T-Shirts? Black.
What color are most dress pants? Black.
What color are most leather jackets? Black.

O.o Wow.
Icarian Decoding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:45 AM   #486
Virulent Dryad

Goths wore black because back in the day the common fashion was either glam rock style (David Bowie anyone?) or Punk rock style, both of which involved colour and such. Goths just went for a dry, bland look which just so happened to be black (occasionally put alongside white), as it was different at the time.
But now it's come to the point of being just plain lame to wear only black and I think the corsets look better with lace and other colours against the black.
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:52 AM   #487
Draconysius

Well, you just have it all figured out, don't you? You must be one of the original members of the subculture! Seriously, we all have different opinions on why the subculture wears a lot of black.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:56 AM   #488
Blushing Heliophobe

I regret ever posting in here and I wish it would go away.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:08 AM   #489
Flyttamouse

I don't always wear black but it's my default colour. I feel like there's no pretence when I wear black...if I'm feeling bad it matches my mood, and if not then I reckon my positive feelings show up better against the black. I agree with what a bunch of people have said about protection...wearing black exposes my emotions but that somehow makes me feel safer. Maybe because being misunderstood is the worst thing. Aside from having your eyes pecked out by ravens.
Flyttamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:23 AM   #490
marianne faithfull

I think black it makes me feel good and it looks good that why I sometimes wear black.
marianne faithfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:31 AM   #491
marianne faithfull

Sorry I wrote that wrong Okey let me just write that again I wear black because it makes me feel good and it looks good on my I'm a big fan of black leather.
marianne faithfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:19 AM   #492
Virulent Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
Well, you just have it all figured out, don't you? You must be one of the original members of the subculture! Seriously, we all have different opinions on why the subculture wears a lot of black.
Well, it's in the history of the Gothic subculture. I'm pretty sure another reason there's a lot of black is because it's not so easy to buy gothic clothes in other colours, unless you're in Japan or you're a cyber goth. Our options for clothing colours are limited. Just a thought.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:22 AM   #493
Sobeh

Educate yourself. This is a short little read, nice, succinct...
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:01 PM   #494
Draconysius

You go, Sobeh! That is indeed an interesting article. Where the hell did you discover it?
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:27 PM   #495
Virulent Dryad

Well no one ever said it wasn't classy. Damn it don't these people have smileys?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:32 PM   #496
the_cure

Okay confession time. I started wearing black as a trend. But as time passed,(roughly 6 months) I found it suited my artistic/morbid tendancies. Plus it slims me down, and matches the blues and reds I love so much.
the_cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:01 PM   #497
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
You go, Sobeh! That is indeed an interesting article. Where the hell did you discover it?
I found this article a long time ago; whether it was on this site or not I don't recall, but at any rate this is what set me off on the right foot way back in the day, and prevented such faux pas as, among other things, pretentously trying to be depressed all the time, or tucking black jeans into black K-Mart steel-toe boots. It's an awesome read.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:24 PM   #498
An Eccentric Cellist

I was asked this today.... and the answer is I'm comfortable in it, it's slimming, you can wear outrageous colors and not clash, it's hereditary my mum does the same thing, and it is a security blanket. My infamous Rainbow Jacket got too small, so I took to wearing black because the jacket was my security so it was replaced by majority black. All hail the Rainbow Jacket!!!!!!!
An Eccentric Cellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:02 PM   #499
Sobeh

Thanks, Joseph.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:58 AM   #500
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
I don't know what it is about black clothes but... well I haven't worn too much black in recent years but it's calling to me in a big way. Kind of the same "return to your roots" calling that led me here I guess...
Yup, part of the feelings I been getting lately.
Been away too long.
They say you can't go home, but maybe you can just go back.
I think it was finally buying a black car that did it for me.
It reminded me how good simple on it's own black looked.
Elder is offline   Reply With Quote