Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 05-30-2005, 02:21 PM   #1
Morbideus

Tool Box Murders

Tobe Hooper has done it again...

It appearantly doesn't have it's own website, but if you like Tobe Hooper, definately worth checking out.
Morbideus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
AlKilyu

They claim that the first half of the movie plays out like a typical slasher flick, then it switches as if he is saying "See that? Now watch this.". I could go rent it but I don't know if I want to. What is the deal where they say the second half somes out of nowhere? Is it the fact that it is a monster, as opposed to a standard killer? I don't want to see another indestructable Freddy-esc killer, is the Coffin Baby worth the rental?
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
Morbideus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKilyu
They claim that the first half of the movie plays out like a typical slasher flick, then it switches as if he is saying "See that? Now watch this.". I could go rent it but I don't know if I want to. What is the deal where they say the second half somes out of nowhere? Is it the fact that it is a monster, as opposed to a standard killer? I don't want to see another indestructable Freddy-esc killer, is the Coffin Baby worth the rental?
Granted, we hadn't heard any reviews or opinions on it, we rented it because we are Tobe Hooper fans. So minus any particular expectations, I was blown away! I agree though, it started out as a fairly typical "chiller," you would think if you stopped halfway that that it's nothing new. The second half (I thought anyway) was very bizzarre and innovative.

We enjoyed immensely, and plan to buy the DVD, so IMHO it is worth the rental.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
Deadhymn

Too bad this was released straight to DVD. I would have liked to see it on the big screen...
Deadhymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
AlKilyu

Have you seen it Deadhymn?

My only hessitation is I am tired of horror movies with unstoppable baddies that survive in the end. Will I be pleasently surprised?
Old 06-03-2005, 11:42 AM   #6
Deadhymn

I dont know if surprised is the right word, but you will appreciate it. Go buy it and quit lookin for excuses to be a hater!
Old 06-05-2005, 08:43 PM   #7
Morbideus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKilyu
My only hessitation is I am tired of horror movies with unstoppable baddies that survive in the end. Will I be pleasently surprised?
The Coffin baby is not an unstoppable killing machine. I gaurantee, if you rent it and watch it, all of your questions and concerns will be answered.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:45 PM   #8
AlKilyu

okay okay I am going to rent it tomorrow. hmm...I could go get it tonite...
Old 06-08-2005, 01:31 AM   #9
AlKilyu

You fuckers kinda lied. ^_^

I wrote a full-on review to test my skillz for Deadhymn, but remembered there has been reviews for this since it was first previewed all over the web, so I deleted most of it.

First off fans of Tobe will note the resemblence of the killer to another Hooper movie, and one of his best, Funhouse.

In the remake of Toolbox Murders Hooper starts with the usual slasher flick, then halfway through adds another level to the killer.

True fans of him would be thinking "Funhouse" about an hour into this. Not to give spoilers, but he could somehow tie both of these movies together if he made a sequel to either.

Angela Bettis (May, a less cuter version of our own Teapotscar) has just moved into a old Hollywood apartment called The Lusman Arms (filmed at the Ambassador, where RFK was assasinated). It has it's flaws, but as the annoying super points out "it's cheap for a complex that has a doorman." They move in amidst the apartment's renovation, which somehow plays a part in why the killings begin, but that is never follwed through. Bodies start to show up before they finish unpacking.

When Bettis's character witnesses the killer's true face, it is truely a creepy scene. You honestly want her the hell out of there. This was done in the latter part of House Of A Thousand Corpses, but not as successful.

As I mentioned with the follow thru, there are other questions never answered, and I don't think they are intentional to let the audience to decide, I think they forgot to explain them. Like why some tenants can live there for years and go unharmed, and others, well they don't just die, they die in prolonged manners.

Gory.

I don't mean too gory as in I don't like gore. Gore, when done right, enhances the movie. Final Destination 2 used it perfectly: You knew by the first couple of nasty deaths that those that followed were going to be just as bad, if not worse. So you cringed when you knew death, in the case of that movie Death, was near.

One thing I DON'T like in horror movies, and I am probably one of the most hardened movie watchers you'll ever meet, is prolonged deaths. I hate it when the person suffers. There is a scene where a character, caught in the "grip" of the baddie, actually says "Just kill me already!" Amen.

If you rent this, have your thumb over the volume button on the remote, because there will be loads of screaming.

Especially if your walls are as paper-thin as the Lusman Arms.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:07 AM   #10
Morbideus

I don't feel like I lied... :wink:

Perhaps it wasn't 100% Original, but I enjoyed it.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:00 PM   #11
Deadhymn

now you need to write a few more and submit them.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:55 AM   #12
AlKilyu

aHA! I knew it! This was a set-up! ^_^

Well Deadhymn, Black Cadillac is new to video, so I shall be renting and reviewing it for your reviewal...yeah that.

BTW Darkman is on right now, and damn if there isnt's a striking resemblence to the Coffin Baby!
Old 06-25-2005, 08:03 PM   #13
soggypicklemuncher

I liked Funhouse but after the first 45 minutes of The Toolbox Murders I started to nod off. I didn't think it was all that great, but maybe I should rent it again just to give it another chance.

You only see what you want to believe
When you creep from the back
I got tricks up my sleeve
24/7 the devil's best friend
It makes no difference
It's all the same in the end

-"Same in the End" by Sublime
soggypicklemuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:39 AM   #14
Mothling

I bought it on DVD but didn't think it was all that good at all, so I took it back and exchanged it for something else, heh. I must admit, I only bought it to see Sheri Moon's cameo.
What are Tobe Hoopers other films like, any better than this?
Mothling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:00 AM   #15
AlKilyu

Er...not so much.

Seriously though, you should rent/buy Malevolence which is far better than Toolbox Murders.