Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #76
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
When I first became a Buddhist I said I wasn't going to celebrate Christmas. Mom got me presents anyway despite it. After a while I just realized that Christmas is secular to me, it gives me an excuse to go home once a year, visit family, shower loved ones with gifts and have a good time. Maybe if I move far away and I can't spend time with family, then I'll stop, but until then, might as well enjoy it!
I enjoy xmas too.. I guess I should have explained that it was more to do particular family members who ridicule my beliefs and spout about how they don't believe in any god, yet when it comes to Christmas it's no holds-barred.

Buddhism has taught me so much. I love the peace that surrounds Buddhist nuns and monks.
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #77
the-nihilist

Christmas isn't about religion, it's about consumerism.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #78
ssj_goku

Christianity is about the birth of Jesus. Get it right gaywad.
ssj_goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #79
the-nihilist

lulz wtf r u talkn about? wat a tard, gtfo out of here n00b b4 i pwn u with L0gik & philosphee!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #80
ssj_goku

You cant spell worth an sh-
Old 07-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #81
the-nihilist

Spellin's fer fagz an' commies.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #82
ssj_goku

Your MOMS a fagincommie.

I can prov to you that god is real with science
Old 07-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #83
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-nihilist View Post
Christmas isn't about religion, it's about consumerism.
Tru but like most birthday parties, it got out of hand, and no one called the cops and then these atheists decided to gate crash it and before you know it there's a Hallmark movie on the darn thing.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #84
ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj_goku View Post
preps are gaywads totaly.
Judging from your poor sentence structure, sad lack of proper punctuation and obliviousness towards capitalization, I would venture a most likely true guess that you go to a public school.

There aren't real "preppies" at a public school, prep schools are generally private.

BTW.. you seem to call people "gay" or "gay-wad" a lot... is that because you're 12 or homophobic?

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #85
LenorePoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
When I first became a Buddhist I said I wasn't going to celebrate Christmas. Mom got me presents anyway despite it. After a while I just realized that Christmas is secular to me, it gives me an excuse to go home once a year, visit family, shower loved ones with gifts and have a good time. Maybe if I move far away and I can't spend time with family, then I'll stop, but until then, might as well enjoy it!

I celebrate Christmas for exactly what it is; a consumerist holiday for buying gifts for friends and putting up blinky lights.
LenorePoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:49 AM   #86
Anarasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows View Post
With a crowbar?
Crowbaaarr!
And the wielder of The Crowbar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenorePoe View Post
I celebrate Christmas for exactly what it is; a consumerist holiday for buying gifts for friends and putting up blinky lights.
And here I thought Christmas was a Christian holiday...
I see your point though. I celebrate Christmas for my family.
But I am not a moment in doubt of what it is.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #87
Ben Lahnger

When the missionaries come to my door (7th Day, Mormons, whatever) I firmly and politely tell them I'm not interested (same line works for telemarketers and door-to-door salesmen.) Sometimes they try to pursue it further as I'm closing the door with a line such as:

"Aren't you concerned about what will happen to your eternal soul?"

To which I say, "I'm not even worried about what's going to happen to yours. Good day."

And I make sure I get the door closed at that point.

Because I used to be annoyed with these people. Then for a while I tried amusing myself with them. Now I just get rid of them. Problem solved, with no annoyance at all.

Oh, and I celebrate by taking the Christ out of Christmas. Complaints about consumerism be damned ... I like getting gifts for everyone I know, decorating my place with gaudy stuff, sending greeting cards to those I live too far away from and getting together with family and friends to share some good food and good spirits.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #88
Anarasha

Exactly Ben.
I don't mind all of the Christmas traditions and the songs etc.
I know what I believe. I don't see a reason I couldn't make my family happy by doing all of the traditional stuff. I'll even go to church if they ask me to.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #89
Catch

I get along with my family too. Luckily as an adult, it turns out they did all that stuff because I was a kid. Now eating turkey is the only tradition and I like turkey, so good.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #90
Fruitbat

Christmas lost it's gloss in 97 - It was the last xmas I spent with my mum and she'd gone from a large women to a stick figure in two months - at the time I claimed she was the sixth spice girl - chicken legs - she died a couple of weeks later - I don't even care for the presents that much - they are only material items which can be taken from you. The only real thing you have is your essence/spirit/soul whatever you want to call it.

- yeah I don't know how many spice girls there are and yeah I really did say that to my dying mum - she thought it was hilarious - but then we share the same sense of humour.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #91
Saya

I'm so sorry to hear that, Fruitbat.

I agree its not about presents at all, aside from my camera I can't really remember who gave me what last Christmas. I like that its an excuse to get the family together, although indeed that isn't a permanent thing either.

Although I do still find that in the month before Christmas, I get super excited. It didn't happen last year, but most years I'm bouncing off the wall, I'm so excited and elated and I get tons of energy. There's just something about the holidays that seems to make most people happier and nicer than other times.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #92
Ben Lahnger

See, you all missed my point. It IS about the presents ... but not GETTING them ... it's about giving gifts to my friends and loved ones, whether expensive and elegant or afforable and petite ... the key to my happiness each Christmas holiday is planning months ahead and thinking diligently about what would make each person happy.

The greatest gift I get during the holidays is their smiles when I get it right.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 07-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #93
Saya

Hahaha, maybe thats why I didn't have much christmas spirit last time. We gave mom a mother's pride ring the year before and we just can't top it. She cried and cried and cried.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:25 AM   #94
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
See, you all missed my point. It IS about the presents ... but not GETTING them ... it's about giving gifts to my friends and loved ones, whether expensive and elegant or afforable and petite ... the key to my happiness each Christmas holiday is planning months ahead and thinking diligently about what would make each person happy.

The greatest gift I get during the holidays is their smiles when I get it right.
Okay Ben, you're in charge of my christmas shopping - you are scarily organised! BTW - i love giving gifts but I hate the crowds at christmas.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:11 AM   #95
Ben Lahnger

Fruitbat, I'm with you. The crowds are the worst (says the guy who previously posted about the joys of giving gifts to people!)

But I know what you mean. Here's a hard lesson I learned after a decade or so. Shift your calendar. Plan for Halloween in July or August. You'll get better prices and have the ability to plan something really awesome instead of having to throw something together last minute. Do your Christmas shopping in September and October. Avoid the crowds and the stress of "OhmygoditslastminuteandIdon'tknowwhattoget!" You'll also give yourself the chance to really deliberate over what people's tastes are, and have a better chance of getting a good gift at a better price.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 07-23-2010, 06:42 AM   #96
Catch

Yes, accepting gifts from people and eating food is a Burden I Cannot Support.

DAMN ALL OF THEM!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #97
ape descendant

I love xmas. I didn't know the true joy and love of xmas, until I started celebrating it with atheists.

Christians tend to suck all the fun out xmas...

Be Kind
Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #98
Fruitbat

better go shopping.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #99
ape descendant

Hellz yeah! I love giving people presents... just as much as I like getting them.. I do make a lot of the gifts I give.. its more personal that way...

Anyway, we'd all be happy with or without presents. For the most part xmas is about hanging out with family and having a party together... the presence of presents depends on financial situation.

Be Kind
Old 07-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #100
LenorePoe

RELATED: I hate small talk, or people who have to make small talk.
Far too often I have people telling me the most random shit I don't care about; worse, their LIFE STORY. Like they have no one else to talk to.
LenorePoe is offline   Reply With Quote