Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:15 AM   #1
JCC

Gorgoroth.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=107859

Gaahl is out as gay. Sweet. Not sweet because he's gay, but just because Black Metal has so long touted this right-wing reputation and now one of the forerunners has upset that balance a little bit. Disassociating Black Metal from the stereotype is a good thing, and he's been remarkably frank about it, so, awesome.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
PortraitOfSanity

I'm really not that surprised, to be honest. People tend to simplify the politics of Black Metal and usually just label it "right-wing". In reality, you're talking about a pretty large pool of political and social opinions that go into the music. Are there Nazis in Black Metal? Of course, just look at Vaarg. But there's Black Metal that's associated with some really disparate movements, just as one example Wolves In The Throne Room have the Animal Rights Movement as their main political component.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
JCC

Speaking of animal rights, vegetarian Gaahl with a fur coat designer. Weird.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
PortraitOfSanity

Yea I just scrolled down and saw that picture. Gaahl with a guy wearing a fur coat with a shirt and tie. Too weird.

Edit: It says he's a "modeling agent". Where'd you get fur coat designer? He's just wearing one...
Old 10-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
Necrophagist

A lot of elitists claim he is a ' pussy '
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
PortraitOfSanity

Yea, noone is "kvlt" enough for some people. To be "trve kvlt" you have to record on vinyl, never having made more than 20 copies of an album, live in your mother's basement, and bow down and cut yourself in front of your Impaled Nazarene (goddammit I hate Impaled Nazarene!) poster each morning.

Seriously, I hate Black Metal fans, which is ironic considering how much of it I listen to.

I dunno how you could consider Gaahl a pussy, more than any other artist I know, he's stuck up for what he believes in and who he is, despite all the trouble doing so has caused him. I really respect that in a way (no, not beating up a guy and force feeding him his own blood, the beliefs).
Old 10-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
Draconysius

Wow, what a blow for the scene. No pun intended.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
Wow, what a blow for the scene. No pun intended.
Think of the time you could have saved yourself by not typing that, and all the time you would have saved us all having to read that.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
Necrophagist

I respect Gaahl.

Impaled Nazarene are wicked!
Old 10-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
PortraitOfSanity

Impaled Nazarene are for little kiddies who read Revolver and think that I.N. and Burzum are the only "real" black metal bands that anyone should listen to, and that any band that attempts to change the Black Metal sound, are "poseurs". Because obviously, if you don't sound EXACTLY like someone else, you can't possibly be Black Metal. Oh and if you're a Nazi, that makes you more "kvlt" right?

Plus, they sound like shit.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #11
Necrophagist

Idiot above - Impaled Nazarene have said on many occasions that they are against white supremacy. They are proud to have black fans. And I.N doesn't sound anything like Trve black metal. What the fuck are you on about?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
JCC

I've never heard Impaled Nazarene but if they're anything like Burzum I don't want to. Burzum bored the fuck out of me.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #13
Necrophagist

More like Venom than shitty Burzum.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:45 AM   #14
transylvanian_hunger

Respect to Gaahl for coming out of the closet, especially with the possible repercussions within the scene. Though I make many a joke about the "....................................Satan" interview & my novelty BM project "Gay for Gaahl" I have always found him interesting ~ maybe because we share similar views etc.
transylvanian_hunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #15
Necrophagist

Respect 2 ma hommiEEs bruv from another muv!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #16
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophagist
Idiot above - Impaled Nazarene have said on many occasions that they are against white supremacy. They are proud to have black fans. And I.N doesn't sound anything like Trve black metal. What the fuck are you on about?
First off, saying something like "idiot above" makes me think you're not capable of a level of logical thought high enough to make it worth responding to you. Just so you know.

I never even implied there was a connection between Impaled Nazarene and Nazism.

I'd definitely listen to Burzum over I.N. though, Burzum is the one Black Metal bands with Nazi connections that I listen to. And even Vaarg's Nazi beliefs are debatable since he seems to have distanced himself from all that lately.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:48 PM   #17
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
Think of the time you could have saved yourself by not typing that, and all the time you would have saved us all having to read that.
Gee, I'm real sorry. I'll never do it again. That was as tasteless and hackneyed as Duckman.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:54 PM   #18
PortraitOfSanity

Yea, but when Duckman says stuff like that, it's usually funny...
Old 10-31-2008, 05:59 AM   #19
Necrophagist

Burzum is rubbish, and Varg is an attention seeker.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:12 PM   #20
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
Yea, but when Duckman says stuff like that, it's usually funny...
Why, I'll never know.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #21
Rorschach Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophagist
Burzum is rubbish, and Varg is an attention seeker.
You know, I'd go a little bit further than that, speaking as he killed a person in his band...
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #22
Joker_in_the_Pack

Twilight of the Idols by Gorgoroth is fucking amazing!
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #23
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach Twin
You know, I'd go a little bit further than that, speaking as he killed a person in his band...
Euronymous actually recorded only 1 track on 1 Burzum album, he was a member of Mayhem.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #24
JCC

Yeah, I was going to say that. Varg was Mayhem's session bassist for a little while. Burzum was a one-guy project, if only he had killed a member of his band...
Old 11-07-2008, 02:26 AM   #25
Joker_in_the_Pack

You know, the bizarre controversy surrounding Mayhem is really the only thing worth talking about them. They're boring as a band.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote