Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 04-02-2008, 06:42 AM   #1
CptSternn

Talking Taoiseach resigns

For those who claim I don't post enough Irish news...

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/bre.../breaking4.htm

Bertie Ahern is to step down as Taoiseach and leader of Fianna Fáil on May 6th, he announced this morning.

Amid mounting pressure about his personal finances, Mr Ahern said he was proud of his political achievements but denied any wrongdoing.

Flanked by cabinet colleagues including Brian Cowen, Mary Harney, Martin Cullen, Noel Dempsey, Brian Lenihan, Mary Harney and John Gormley, Mr Ahern said a "constant barrage of commentary" was distracting the work of Government.

He said his decision was "solely motivated by what is best for the people" and was "solely a personal decision...inspired by the desire to refocus the political agenda".

"I've been priviliged to serve my community, party and country for many years," an emotional Mr Ahern told reporters in Government Buildings.

He said he was proud of his work on the Northern Ireland peace process, on successive social partnership agreements, on delivering a modern economy and of Ireland's involvement in the European Union.

He also said he had "ended the myth that Fianna Fáil is incapable of sustaining a coalition government" and paid tribute to both Mr Gormley and Mary Harney.

However, the work of Government had been "distracted by my life, my lifestyle and my finances".

Mr Ahern was set to come under pressure in Dáil this afternoon as the Opposition parties sought an explanation for evidence given to the Mahon tribunal by his former secretary.

The Opposition was due press Mr Ahern on the sterling payments lodged to his Irish Permanent building society account by Gráinne Carruth.

The tribunal is investigating claims that Mr Ahern received money from property developer Owen O'Callaghan. The claim by Tom Gilmartin has been repeatedly denied by Mr O'Callaghan and by Mr Ahern himself. However the tribunal invetigations have thrown up questions on lodgements to Mr Ahern'spersonal accounts in the early 1990s.

The total value of lodgements and other transactions that have to date been queried by the tribunal in its public inquiries into Mr Ahern's finances, exceeds £452,800. The lodgements and transactions occurred between 1988 and 1997, although the vast bulk of the money was lodged in the period to 1995.

The total is the equivalent of €886,830 in today's terms, applying the consumer price index for the period 1994 to 2008. The total excludes lodgements where the tribunal has been shown the money was transferred from one bank account to another, but includes such lodgements where neither Mr Ahern nor the tribunal have been able to find independent confirmation as to what occurred.

Mr Ahern said he would be "comprehenisely dealing with these matters at the tribunal" and denied any wrongdoing.

"Never in all the time that I served in politics have I ever put my personal interest ahead of the public good," he added.

"I have never received a corrupt payment...I have done no wrong and wronged no one".

Last week, Ms Harney and Mr Gormley said Mr Ahern needed to clarify the situation in relation to his finances.

Dirty Bertie is finally out on his ear. He quit. He is no longer scamming the people. I mean, for those who have no idea about this or aren't into Irish politics, this man has been in front of a tribunal for over a year, and all that has come out of it is more questions about what he was involved in.

The short version is this - over the years he took what equals up to almost a million Euro. The man claimed he didn't take any pay offs while in office, and also stated he didn't even have a bank account.

First off, he was Finance Minister for years before taking the highest office in the country. He expects us to believe all that time he never had a bank account? Well, the tribunal found he actually had 37 or more. He then said thoses were family members and friends, who had loaned him money and setup accounts for him he never used.

Well, the stories get even more crazy from there, and I won't waste time posting it all here - Google it.

Bottom line is the tribunal is wrapping up and about to announce if they have found evidence to prosecute him...and he quit.

This is nothing new. Ray Burke, the former Taoiseach who was in power when Bertie was finance minister quit under almost identical circumstances and then was convicted of all sorts of illegal activity.

It's history repeating itself.

That being said, people are partying in the streets in Dublin and I'm heading out for a pint to celebrate myself.

So ends the political career of Dirty Bertie.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Pye

The bastard wrecked my afternoon telly.
Pye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:00 AM   #3
CptSternn

Did you see all the people celebrating in the streets when they made the announcement? I thought it was brilliant. What was even more brilliant was all the news media was there and one of the correspondence asked the reporter on the scene:

...are all those people celebrating Bertie Resigning?

The RTE correspondence said:

...ummmm....no - its just a festive day down in Dublin.

It was a feckin' Tuesday. The people were carrying BANNERS saying Bertie was a CROOK. There were a few dozen in the camera shot alone. The fact RTE was trying to downplay the fact there were literally people celebrating in the streets was laughable.

They could be heard on the radio as well in the background - with music and people cheering on every radio station that had a correspondent there that day.

I'm looking for YouTube footage to post of this...
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:44 AM   #4
Dark Clarissa

I lived in Ireland for ten years until last year and I voted to get him out at the last election. I find it fascinating that while the country's economy was doing well a large percentage of people seemed willing to turn a blind eye to his dealings, but as soon as things go belly up - they want him out!

EDIT: Not referring to you lot - just those idiots that voted for him! lol!
Dark Clarissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:49 AM   #5
Pye

I didn't see anyone dancing about no. I'm quite far away from Dublin and I tried to avoid Irish TV that day like the plague once I'd seen/heared I wanted to see/hear. I saw a few eejits with banners to the tune of "such and such loves Bertie" which made me feel a bit queasy. -puke-

However, I do give him credit for his part in the Belfast agreement.

Clarissa: I agree. ;-)
Pye is offline   Reply With Quote