Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-09-2006, 08:48 AM   #1
WolfMoon

Bird with a bum wing...HELP?

As I walked to the store this morning, I saw a little brown bird flipping and flopping around in the grass. Being the curious soul that I am I went over and got a better look at it.

I expected the thing to fly right away, but it couldn't get it's wings to work. As I bent down to pick it up, it tried to lodge itself under one and then the other of my boots. Definately not the safest place for a little bird.(Fuck my tooth is killing me!) So I carefully picked her up(I'm assuming that it's a her because she's all brown, but I'm not a bird expert). She didn't put up a fight, much to my surprise. One of the calmest birds I've ever encountered, in fact. She may be in shock. But she seems fully aware.

Being on my way to the store I couldn't very well bring her with me, so I put her at the base of a big tree and hoped she was there when I got back. She was, but moved just a little. So I took her home with me to decide what to do with her.

I carefully stretched her wings out and the only thing that seems wrong with her is her right wing muscle looks red and swollen. Like she narrowly escaped an encounter with a cat. Thankfully, it doesn't drag and doesn't seem broken. I figure if I let her rest up for a day or two she should be able to get out on her own again.

Any suggestions or tips, guys?
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
Wise Child

Um... the only one I heard is that apparently, you shouldn't feed bread to small birds as it swells up in their stomach and can kill them if they have too much. I have no idea if it's true or not, but better safe than sorry maybe.

I hope it works out, Wolfie. Poor little mite.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
WolfMoon

I've got her in a small box on the balcony with a towel and a small bowel with water and some bits of catfood floating around in it.

I don't know if this bird eats catfood, but I know that some birds do, I figured if it's soggy it'll go down easier either way.

I'm keeping an eye on it through the sliding glass door.(No, it's not nearly as fancy as it sounds)
Old 05-09-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
end.of.eternity

There's all this bird influenza running outside, and Wolfie goes and picks up little birds...

This thing has happened to me twice. First I was 9 and was biking around everywhere and saw a hawk on the road. It couldn't escape me (I was a horrible little girl who tried to catch anything that could move [or couldn't, it really didn't matter])because of its other wing was funny, probably broken. I put it into my cycling helmet and drove home. There I made a home for it in our garden, and gave food (underdone meat) and kept it as a pet. Its nails were very beautiful! However my neighbours came to me one day and told me I have to set it free or they call to some animal protection community.

2 years later my friend came to me before school in the morning. She had seen a little bird on the way to me, which was all trembling and stuff. She took it with her and brought it to my doorstep. She wanted us to make a home for it and so we started doing it. We left it onto the doorstep, thinking it wouldn't ran away anyway. Then we sat there next to it with a box and started making furniture by grass and wood and such. When we had finished, we looked for the bird to put it there. It didn't move anymore. It had died. We buried it later.

To answer your question, I can't say anything else but don't keep it too long - just few days to see if the wing gets better but then let it go.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:14 AM   #5
Empty_Purple_Stars

Try not to handle it, its bad for the birdie.

I will call Gnossos and see if she has any ideas.
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
Empty_Purple_Stars

Read this;

http://www.ehow.com/how_1812_care-injured-bird.html

I'll look up the Audubon Society number in Htown.
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
WolfMoon

I haven't handled more than I needed to.

It seems pretty calm. It's just out there on the balcony in a corner of the box.

I don't think it'll die.

It looks fully grown, no baby feathers or anything. She's only about five inches from beak to tail feathers.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:46 PM   #8
Paper_Wings

I suggest calling your local Humane society. See what they have to say. We had the same problem once with a seagull and thats what we did (I also think that's very kind of you wolfie. Alot of the people I know would either ignore the poor thing or just kill it).
Old 05-09-2006, 07:08 PM   #9
Nardol

Birds

I reccomend highly that you give clean water without catfood in it. Catfood isn't really palatable to birds especially wild ones who don't have any idea what a processed pellet is for. Also any food in water will cause a veritable soup of undelectable bacteria.

Depending on what kind of bird it is you are probably best off with a pet bird food for canaries or else fresh insects.

Clean bedding daily. It smells VERY bad otherwise.
Nardol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #10
edible_eye

pluck the bird well and use in place of "chicken".

enjoy.

http://recipes.target.com/Recipe/Rec...px?nprid=89940
Old 05-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #11
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_eye
pluck the bird well and use in place of "chicken".

enjoy.

http://recipes.target.com/Recipe/Rec...px?nprid=89940
I love a man who loves cooking .

Wolfy, I suggest putting the bird into the hands of the more experienced. The Humane Society will know for certain exactly what to do in this situation. You're so cute, though, being all sympathetic for delicate things!
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #12
Nardol

Probably scratched by a cat, and fighting an infection. Draconysius is probably right about the humane society, although they may not concern themselves too much if she is say, a common sparrow.

I say Wolfie's cute no matter what she's doing. Moreso if it's mischevious.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:17 PM   #13
Godslayer Jillian

This thread makes me feel bad because just today, I was driving and I hit a bird

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #14
winged_dreams

Yes, I suggest getting help from the Human Society or just a wildlife refuge if there is one around. I almost hit a bird today. And a butterfly flew into my car windshield. I felt horrible.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #15
Sobeh

I was watching out the window today from my apartment, third floor overlooking a wee lake in the complex here, and there was this mother duck with her new babies, about eight of them or six, something, but they were sooo tiny.... anyway, three male ducks kept attacking her, biting her neck, etc. I tried chasing them off once, but eventually the mother made her way to the far side of the lake and they got back to it. Interesting: there was another mother duck with babies there too, but that one had her male duck chilling with her, and they were left alone. No idea what happened because the assaulted mother got chased behind the far apartment buildings and when I went to investigate she and the ducklings were missing.

At any rate, I can't help but feel like shit when I see animals suffer. Welcome to samsara, beast. It's a fucking grind. I just feel like minds make humans more responsible, so in this case they were seemingly doing duck things and I felt like I oughtn't interfere. If animals are screwed because of roads I get ragerific, but if the animal would be in that situation whether or not a person was there to see them, it's a quandary.

Once I saw a baby bird laying under a somewhat bare tree, and I was able to use some fresh paper towels to pick it up and place it back in the nest. About 30 minutes later it was back where I had first seen it, but this time it's spirit had stayed in the tree. Damnit.

Good fucking hell.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #16
Gnossos

Wolfmoon- I hope your wee bird is doing OK. Bless you for helping her.

Humane societies, in general, don't deal with wildlife; they require more specialized care than the average shelter can provide. Your local Humane Society should have a list of wildlife (specifically bird) rehabilitators who could take her. Additionally, there's bound to be at least one veterinarian in your area who rehabs birds on a Good Samaritan basis. Your vet might be able to help you with a referral.

Birdseed is the best bet for food.

Best of luck!
Gnossos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:22 PM   #17
WolfMoon

Apparently she flew the coop after rsting for a good many hours.

I looked about the balcony for her later that evening and there was no sign. She hadn't flopped onto the ground either.

I guess all she needed was a safe place to rest for a bit.

I was happy to oblige.

Sobeh, I'm of the mind that maybe we should leave animals to animal things, but I couldn't stomache the thought that someone's cat might make a meal of her. She was so calm as I picked her up and carried her. If she had fought or acted panicky, I would have rethought taking her home with me.

I feel like a did some good, however small, in my corner of the universe.

Last edited by WolfMoon; 05-10-2006 at 10:22 PM. Reason: It's late, Wolfie tired...
Old 05-11-2006, 12:10 AM   #18
Nocturne

Wolfmoon, I wish more people had the same compassion towards anmals
And don't worry about the bird flu - as long as you do not eat the feces, eat the bird, or somehow get bird blood, bird feces or bird tissue inside your body, you're safe. If you have the bird flu in your area though, you might want to scrub that balcony, and anything else that came into contact with bird droppings, down with soap and hot water and mild disinfectant.
Nocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:29 AM   #19
WolfMoon

We don't have it in Texas, as far as I know...
Old 05-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #20
roserougesang

To make a bad joke on a serious issue......
To discover where bird flu is, just look for sneezing birds

To be serious again, I'm glad there's no bird flu around your area, we don't want one of our favourite moderators to get sick.
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:19 AM   #21
wishcat

I think that is super cool of you Wolfmoon to help out a helpless animal.
I always try to help out animals I see that need help. It's awsome to hear of other people doing things like this as well.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:02 PM   #22
NachtSorcier

Yes, definitely find out if any kind of shelter can help out a wild bird.

You just racked up some good karma. Blessed be.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:49 PM   #23
Paper_Wings

We just saved a baby humming bird from my cat and we're unable to bring it to the
shelter until my mom gets home with the car. It's too young to fly and it's feeding a little but we need some suggestions on what and what not to do with it while we wait (I thought since there's already a thread on what to do for a bird that I'd just post this here). Any suggestions would be greatly appriteated!
Old 06-02-2006, 08:57 PM   #24
Kinflame

Location: FGBWIERville, MKBJJKaryland, Unintelligent Shithole of America.
Good deed.
Kinflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:28 PM   #25
Nardol

Ooo hurray! The birdy lives. I was wondering what would happen.