Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:46 PM   #76
Beowulf

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
..................dance the ghost with me...................

My lucretia my reflection, dance the ghost me !!!.

Do you remember the video for that song, it was the one in the factory, I remember watching it on MTV a few years ago (and taped it!!!).

Still can`t wait to hear the Kreator version of this song.

What`s your favourite Kreator album ?.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #77
Natasshha

Haaaaa THE CURE.... my bf love them, I mean from Uruguay he being listeting to them... he is a huge fan... I dont well I only like that video that they are in a closet playing little instruments, hehehehe i though it was hallarious... love it... haaaa the cure.... robert!!!
Natasshha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #78
Beowulf

Watchtower

I just love this band, outstanding musicianship, if anyone has heard the `Control and Resistance` album you`ll know what I mean.

This band was a major influence on bands such as Death, Cynic, and Atheist, etc.
There is so much energy in their music, especially when their songs have such complex instrumental passages.

If anyone likes bands like Dream Theater, then they should check out Watchtower`s `Control and Resistance` album.

Old 01-13-2006, 06:06 PM   #79
WolfMoon

Beowulf ~ I don't have a favorite album, but I totally dig the song 'People of the Lie(lye?)'
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #80
Beowulf

Smile

Quote:
Beowulf ~ I don't have a favorite album, but I totally dig the song 'People of the Lie(lye?)'
`People of the lie` thats a really cool song, off the `Coma of Souls` album, have`nt listened to that in ages... I`ll have to have another listen of that!.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:39 PM   #81
Beowulf

Sabbat (R.I.P)

Sabbat were the best british thrash metal band ever, their first album `History of a Time to Come` is a classic , and the follow up `Dreamweaver` just kick ass !!!.

`Arguably Britain's best thrash band ever, Sabbat had quite an original style, owing much to Martin Walkyier's venomous, rapid-fire vocal delivery, and tight, precise, and often-changing riffing. They released two outstanding albums in the late eighties, but friction between various band members started to develop, some of which was centered around Walkyier's continuation of his pagan lyrical themes. Bassist Frazer Craske left, and then so did Walkyier, who went on to form the highly successful Skyclad.` BNR metal pages.

Sabbat`s music has this intensity and power, and excellent songwriting that made them unique in the Thrash metal scene in the late 1980`s.

Unfortunatly Sabbat broke up in the early nineties, but their musical influence lives on ...

The bands guitarist and founder Andy Sneap is now a successful producer who works with bands such as Arch Enemy.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:47 PM   #82
WolfMoon

Gonna have to check that group out.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:07 PM   #83
cannibalnuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasstronamicle
i got one of bauhaus albumbs i like it, but nothing really special for me. ive heard of Siouxsie and the banshees but who is joy division???

Joy Division was a band out of Manchester and they were considered to be one of the precursors of the "Goth" culture. They later became New Order after the death of Ian Curtis.

Love Will Tear Us Apart, you might know that song by Joy Division.

Ian Curtis is one of my favourite artists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joy_Div....22_subculture
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:53 PM   #84
pitseleh

"Who is Joy Division???"

???!

What the hell people.

Gass, go read the Wikipedia article like cannibal so thoughtfully linked, get all those albums you see little pictures of there, and watch "24-hour Party People".

If you can absorb the full extent of the greatness that IS Joy Division (and New Order), your mind will expand by an increment of at least 0.35. Probably. Then what to do with that increment is up to you. But don't waste it, because something like that doesn't come along too often.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:22 AM   #85
Death101

Here's a couple of older bands:
Granhammer
Illnath
Death101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:38 PM   #86
Beowulf

Venom

This band is one of my all time favourite bands, pure metal mayhem !!!.

`Lay down your souls to the gods rock `n roll ....black metal`

Reccomended listening (or demonic demolition)

Welcome to Hell

Black Metal

At War with Satan

In league with Satan (compilation)

Old 02-13-2006, 03:18 PM   #87
Broken Dawn

Out of the first 4 that really started the music(Bauhaus, Joy Division, The Cure, Siouxise and the Banshees) are all good but I have never been able to get into Joy Division. My question is are any of them really gothic music or just post-punk with other elements mixed in? I believe that the later stuff from Bauhaus and Siouxise is gothic and The Cure with Disintegration.
Broken Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:22 PM   #88
screaming_soul_7

oh shit, i don't know. i like the old Green Day. and The Clash and The Sex Pistoles.
screaming_soul_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:30 AM   #89
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Dawn
Out of the first 4 that really started the music(Bauhaus, Joy Division, The Cure, Siouxise and the Banshees) are all good but I have never been able to get into Joy Division. My question is are any of them really gothic music or just post-punk with other elements mixed in? I believe that the later stuff from Bauhaus and Siouxise is gothic and The Cure with Disintegration.
You might like Christian Death, another early goth band. But they're only good with Rozz Williams singing. I like New Order better than Joy Division, personally.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:28 AM   #90
peeves

Other than Bauhaus, The Cure, Alien Sex Fiend, Siouxsie and the banshees, and Joy division, I don't think I've heard any of these bands. That's what I get for living in borring suburbia. Good thing I've got all you guys to help, thanks for a fun list of bands to look into!
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:56 PM   #91
Beowulf

Cool Fields of the Nephilim

"No one really knows that much about the Nephilim, it's a mysterious thing. We added "Fields", which is to suggest magnetic fields, pulling in toward the Nephilim, not green pastures."

--Carl McCoy on USA Network's "Night Flight", 1988

Fields of the Nephilim, are one of my all time favourite bands.

" Beginning with a basic interest in ritual magick and progressing through an increasingly tighter focus from the Apocrypha, angelology and the legend of the Nephilim, to Sumerian lore, to Crowley/Spare atavism into chaos magick and thence to where none may follow, the band was a faithful mirror of the spiritual journey of its shamanic leader, Carl McCoy."

Source

I think this band are amazing, their music is powerful and hauntingly ethereal, and surreal like their spaghetti western imagery and love for baking flour (not for culinary use,but to make their hats and dusters dustier, and to throw over their audiences at live shows).

My favourite Album is `Dawnrazor` , the intro is enough to raise the hairs on your neck as the tormented strains of the `Harmonica man` (taken from part of the opening scene of the film `Once Upon a Time in the West`) fade into that chilling guitar line that segues into `Slow Kill` , this slowly chilling epic taunts you with beautiful textured music, that carries on throughout the album as part of their dark musical canvas that is `dawnrazor`.

Essential listening

Burning the Fields E.P (has an early version of `Laura` on it)

Dawnrazor

Elizium

The Nefilim

Earth Inferno

Old 02-21-2006, 09:07 AM   #92
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
I have to agree. The whole thing fell apart when Rozz Williams left. I hate the new Christian Death. Fucking assholes.

You're a Rozz Williams fan? I noticed your pet spider was named Rozz.
I have the album 'Only Theater of Pain' and I'd heard some later stuff with Valor *barf*. I much prefer Rozz. I consider myself a fan, but not hard core like I am about TON. But I think I'm going to try to find the album Beowulf has, now. (All My Love/All My Hate)

He just has that 'tragically' goth(as my husband put it) sound that I dig. I think it's sad that he's no longer making music, hard to do dangling from a rope.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:17 PM   #93
Beowulf

Smile

Quote:
I have the album 'Only Theater of Pain' and I'd heard some later stuff with Valor *barf*. I much prefer Rozz. I consider myself a fan, but not hard core like I am about TON. But I think I'm going to try to find the album Beowulf has, now. (All My Love/All My Hate)

He just has that 'tragically' goth(as my husband put it) sound that I dig. I think it's sad that he's no longer making music, hard to do dangling from a rope.

Wolfie,

I have found where you can get `All the Love/All the Hate it` on CD.

Click here

and they have some at Amazon.com.

Happy hunting .

Old 02-21-2006, 09:05 PM   #94
WolfMoon

Thanks, love!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:42 AM   #95
spiggys_cat

Sisters - The Best goth band who arnt goth at all awards
danse Society - how to make 80's synths sound really eriee.
Virgin Prunes - The Goth classics anthem award for Baby turns blue.
Neph - gothic gods of antiquity and be-ro Flour
Spear of Destiny/theatre of hate - post punk...
actually, most of this stuff is more post punk by todays standards, it's only when you get to the early 90's that "goth" with vampires and such come in to it with bands like Rosetta stone and nosferatu... i love it all though.... New Model Army (who arnt goth either) are a really good early goth band too.
spiggys_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:56 PM   #96
Beowulf

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiggys_cat
Sisters - The Best goth band who arnt goth at all awards
danse Society - how to make 80's synths sound really eriee.
Virgin Prunes - The Goth classics anthem award for Baby turns blue.
Neph - gothic gods of antiquity and be-ro Flour
Spear of Destiny/theatre of hate - post punk...
actually, most of this stuff is more post punk by todays standards, it's only when you get to the early 90's that "goth" with vampires and such come in to it with bands like Rosetta stone and nosferatu... i love it all though.... New Model Army (who arnt goth either) are a really good early goth band too.

spiggys_cat,

Sisters of Mercy rule, as do the Neph!.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:12 AM   #97
Emerald

Yes I love the older stuff...everything that has been listed here thus far and one more I don't think has been mentioned....Red Lorry Yellow Lorry. Oh and yes I know who Rosetta Stone is and no I did not have to Google it

sorry I am being a little bit cheeky with that comment.....
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #98
Emerald

a few others that I don't think were mentioned....New Model Army, 1919, Gene Loves Jezebel, Killing Joke, Flesh for Lulu.
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote