Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:33 AM   #26
1TOOMANY

bAAAAAHAAAHAAAA
Old 09-21-2005, 02:12 PM   #27
pinkfloyd_thewall_90210

Do Any Of You People Think That Korn A Heavy Metal Band That The Little Fuckers In The Metal Think I Should Be Posting About It In Hear Do You Think That Korn Is A Fucking Rap Band????????
pinkfloyd_thewall_90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:49 PM   #28
(-$|N-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd_thewall_90210
Do Any Of You People Think That Korn A Heavy Metal Band That The Little Fuckers In The Metal Think I Should Be Posting About It In Hear Do You Think That Korn Is A Fucking Rap Band????????
No offense but that sentence is quite difficult to read. If you listen to some of Korns albums they have a high rap/hip hop feel to them which is why I call them rap, but they are definately not metal. The closest they could come is maybe hard rock, but that seems to be a streach. However do not get me wrong, if thats the type of music you like then by all means enjoy, just do not think that everyone is always going to agree with you.
(-$|N-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:52 PM   #29
NoneSuch

I dont know If I would consider korn Rap , I've got one or two of there songs on my playlists and it really dosnt remind me of any rap I heard.. would call it more Rock but anyway I dont like rap music mainly due to the lyrics.. the awful lyrics and I just dont like the sound annoys me more than anything.
NoneSuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:19 PM   #30
Black Gestalt

I deffinatly think it's music, and while, for the most part I don't like it, I would never make any generalizations about it.

I remeber A Tribe Called Quest was pretty good, and The Roots. Um, and Nas has a couple songs that have merit.

I never listen to rap, but I don't dismiss it on principal.
Black Gestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 05:53 PM   #31
punkirony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gestalt
I deffinatly think it's music, and while, for the most part I don't like it, I would never make any generalizations about it.

I remeber A Tribe Called Quest was pretty good, and The Roots. Um, and Nas has a couple songs that have merit.

I never listen to rap, but I don't dismiss it on principal.

Really........So you "never listen to rap?"

RIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.....(hypocrite*cough cough*)
Old 09-24-2005, 07:06 PM   #32
ExistentialDisorder

My two cents...

I've never been a fan of rap music lyrically, commonly referred to as hip-hop, since the term rap is rather dated now. But it is still music. I do enjoy the rythms tho. The problem I see with rap/hip-hop artists is that they often copy each other, from their songs to their videos. One of them will come up with a catchy beat and it becomes a #1 hit and then you hear that same beat in every other rap single for the next six months until somebody else hits on a beat that everyone likes and then that one gets repeated for the next six months and so on. Same with their videos. They'll film it a certain way, using some kind of unique camera angle or lighting, etc, and everybody else follows doing the same thing. Then there's the 'art' of rehashing old tunes from way back that were hits in like 1985 and suddenly rap/hip-hop artists put it in their recordings. How many Eminem tracks use music ranging from the cure to martika (remember her?) to michael jackson? My problem with the whole scene is that there's very little originality.

BUT!!! I do like the music - and I'm talking about original hip-hop beats, not the rehashed junk - if there was just some way of muting the lyrical content. Not all hip-hop is rap tho. I dated a hip-hop/break-beat dj for a short time and was enlightened to the fact that there is some very good hip-hop music out there that has very little if any, to do with rap. And there are more and more bands that would largely be considered rock, industrial, metal, goth, etc, that are incorporating hip-hop and breakbeat into their music. Which I personally think kicks ass. They're not rapping, but their music is being influenced by it more and more.

Which brings me to the concept of what is Korn and bands like them. Korn has been around for several years now and their earlier stuff was pretty much all hard rock/metal. Their more recent (and i.m.o. better) material has incorporated a more hip-hop flavor. But even as far back as A.D.I.D.A.S., you could sense that flavor in their style. I'm thinking that generally speaking they'd be classed into what's being called NuMetal.

I'm also a fan of Linkin Park, and who knows what the hell they are. I don't even think they know. Sometimes they're hip-hop sometimes they're rock. I don't think I'd quite call their rock industrial, but it does have a sense of it here and there. Same with Evanescence. Even M. Manson and NIN have been incorporating hip-hop beats into their music. And yes, I definately consider Manson very much goth. Not olskool goth by any means (i.e. the cure, joy division, bauhaus, etc), but lets say modern gothic.

Okay enough of my rant for now. I'm still new here.

~E.D.
ExistentialDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:18 AM   #33
Fenris

Isn't there a genre just called rap metal now? I think most of the metalish bands mentioned here tend to fall into that genre.
Fenris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 01:56 AM   #34
Demonista_Ravenesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris
Isn't there a genre just called rap metal now? I think most of the metalish bands mentioned here tend to fall into that genre.
Nope, it's called new metal or 'Nu Metal' *shudder*

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 02:03 AM   #35
Demonista_Ravenesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistentialDisorder
My two cents...

I've never been a fan of rap music lyrically, commonly referred to as hip-hop, since the term rap is rather dated now. But it is still music. I do enjoy the rythms tho. The problem I see with rap/hip-hop artists is that they often copy each other, from their songs to their videos. One of them will come up with a catchy beat and it becomes a #1 hit and then you hear that same beat in every other rap single for the next six months until somebody else hits on a beat that everyone likes and then that one gets repeated for the next six months and so on. Same with their videos. They'll film it a certain way, using some kind of unique camera angle or lighting, etc, and everybody else follows doing the same thing. Then there's the 'art' of rehashing old tunes from way back that were hits in like 1985 and suddenly rap/hip-hop artists put it in their recordings. How many Eminem tracks use music ranging from the cure to martika (remember her?) to michael jackson? My problem with the whole scene is that there's very little originality.

BUT!!! I do like the music - and I'm talking about original hip-hop beats, not the rehashed junk - if there was just some way of muting the lyrical content. Not all hip-hop is rap tho. I dated a hip-hop/break-beat dj for a short time and was enlightened to the fact that there is some very good hip-hop music out there that has very little if any, to do with rap. And there are more and more bands that would largely be considered rock, industrial, metal, goth, etc, that are incorporating hip-hop and breakbeat into their music. Which I personally think kicks ass. They're not rapping, but their music is being influenced by it more and more.

Which brings me to the concept of what is Korn and bands like them. Korn has been around for several years now and their earlier stuff was pretty much all hard rock/metal. Their more recent (and i.m.o. better) material has incorporated a more hip-hop flavor. But even as far back as A.D.I.D.A.S., you could sense that flavor in their style. I'm thinking that generally speaking they'd be classed into what's being called NuMetal.

I'm also a fan of Linkin Park, and who knows what the hell they are. I don't even think they know. Sometimes they're hip-hop sometimes they're rock. I don't think I'd quite call their rock industrial, but it does have a sense of it here and there. Same with Evanescence. Even M. Manson and NIN have been incorporating hip-hop beats into their music. And yes, I definately consider Manson very much goth. Not olskool goth by any means (i.e. the cure, joy division, bauhaus, etc), but lets say modern gothic.

Okay enough of my rant for now. I'm still new here.

~E.D.
Wise words from a n00b, I welcome you dearly

Old 09-25-2005, 10:27 AM   #36
Satan's Spawn

Okay, i'll admit it, I can't hold it in any more! I listen to ICP and Eminem! Shoot me now!

But I must admit I really do despise all this mainstream shit about hoes and cars and guns. I've been dissed so many times by other goths and punks cus of my eminem t-shirts. don't mind tho ^_^ And I know Eminem raps a lot about guns, drugs, and his ex-wife but some of the first stuff he made was good, when he didn't give a shit about anyone else... I get so angry when I hear most of the new stuff he's made *grr*

If I swear a lot, excuse me, I live at a boarding school in europe, they swear like crazy...
Satan's Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:49 AM   #37
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan's Spawn

If I swear a lot, excuse me, I live at a boarding school in europe, they swear like crazy...
Umm, may I ask what you did that was so 'terrible' that your friggin parents shipped you all of the way to Denmark to Boarding School??

Thats pretty extreme on their part..
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #38
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeapotScar
They're still calling ICP "music"? Damn.

And to you, little Demonista... calling me out by name- HA! You're an annoyance.

But I listen to some rap... whatever.

It's funny cause the two people known for flaming (even each other!), Ms. Teapot and I, have been more restrained than most. Seriously. There's even a kilyuwannabe on this board and rather than beat the piss outta him (I am assuming it's a him) with a copyright logo, I just stay mellow.

As has Teap--excuse me TEAPOTSCAR!!!111ONE

So let's not call people out unless they've done something first, mm'k?
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 04:46 PM   #39
Jane13

I'm not really into rap so much, but I respect it as an art form. this thread reminds me that my friend is going to be teaching a "Grafiti Appreciation" class at the boys and girls club... I actually want to take it. Also, I don't know what Outkast is, but I liked that "Hey, ya" song... I'm not sure if that's what it's called *blushes because she sounds so dumb*
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 09:20 PM   #40
AlKilyu

No not at all Jane babe...never! You post more and soon! I know you are in pain and whatnot, but if you get the chance please post here more! ^_^
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 09:54 PM   #41
edible_eye

Old 09-25-2005, 10:32 PM   #42
Demonista_Ravenesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_eye
hahahahahaha, that is incredibly cruel of you, yet, you never fail to make me laugh

Old 09-27-2005, 04:42 PM   #43
punkirony

Sweetie, he never fails to make ANYONE laugh!
Old 09-27-2005, 06:41 PM   #44
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKilyu
No not at all Jane babe...never! You post more and soon! I know you are in pain and whatnot, but if you get the chance please post here more! ^_^
Aw, thanks Al ^.^
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 09-27-2005, 06:56 PM   #45
punkirony

Jane! He's right. We miss ya around here. Really really really try comin' around more often!
Old 10-02-2005, 08:53 PM   #46
Shemjazza

The Two things about Rap that annoy me are:
1: Loops. they drive me insane. if there was some kind of progression rather then the same innane hook over and over then i might be able to aprecciate it. I know that this does not apply to ALL Rap, but it infuriates me none the less.

2: Lack of morallity. i may be considered by some to be the incarnation of evil or some simmilar load of shit, but i do have strong moral values, even if they are not those spouted by the illiterate hick Christan Right. Therefore, hate the idea of kids idolising those who preach the 'Gangsta' way of life, 'pimping biatches' (ie degrading women to the level of pieces of meat) and 'poping caps in peoples asses' (ie killing people for some unjustified reason)
this is apsolutly pathetic. I would spit on those who market this tripe, but that it would dirty my spit.
Shemjazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:19 PM   #47
Demonista_Ravenesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemjazza
The Two things about Rap that annoy me are:
1: Loops. they drive me insane. if there was some kind of progression rather then the same innane hook over and over then i might be able to aprecciate it. I know that this does not apply to ALL Rap, but it infuriates me none the less.

2: Lack of morallity. i may be considered by some to be the incarnation of evil or some simmilar load of shit, but i do have strong moral values, even if they are not those spouted by the illiterate hick Christan Right. Therefore, hate the idea of kids idolising those who preach the 'Gangsta' way of life, 'pimping biatches' (ie degrading women to the level of pieces of meat) and 'poping caps in peoples asses' (ie killing people for some unjustified reason)
this is apsolutly pathetic. I would spit on those who market this tripe, but that it would dirty my spit.
Shem...The second part is not all true...The lowbrow 'Gangsta pimpin guns furry jackets bling biznatches' is just the mainstream part of rap...You can still call it music but you can't exactly appreciate it because of it's low lyrical contents. It's not all rappers that talk about that sort of random gangsta crap. I mean, the RZA do talk about it but they're also bringing out the issue of discrimination against blacks in the corrupted justic force thing....um, yeah.
There's a whole lot of other rap artists that don't talk about being gangsta, most of them only talk about it to get media attention so they can get famous and rich...blah blah blah, I'm done here

Old 10-02-2005, 09:37 PM   #48
Shemjazza

Sorry if i came across that way! I know that not all rap is like that... What I was trying to get across was my disgust at the FACE of rap, this was not an atempt to pigeonhole it or make a broud specrum generalization! (i should know betterthan that!)
Shemjazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:36 AM   #49
Junk Bond Trader

This is one of my favorite topics. Of course rap is music. It is the music of hip hop culture. While a rap song might not appeal to me because of its lyrical content, that is an emotional response and therefore the most subjective way to perceive any work of art be it musical or otherwise.

At its best, it is poetry. I'm certainly not an expert on it, but I like several artists such as De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, KRS One, PE, NWA, Digable Planets, The Streets, Deltron, Dizzee Rascal etc.

Perhaps it's not entirely on point to bring this up, but it is interesting how much classic punk and alt. rock bands actually borrowed from rappers as well as the other way around, or there have been interesting tie-ins:

The beat for Siouxsie and the Banshee's "Kiss Them for Me" was taken from a Schooly D song called "PSK (What Does It Mean)." To a lesser degree, I believe the same beat was used in P.I.L's "The Body," but it's not as obvious. The beat originated with the Schooly D song; it may have come from elsewhere, but I'm unsure of the true origin.

GM Flash/Melle Mel's "White Lines" is actually Liquid Liquid's "Cavern."

Afrika Bambaataa's "Planet Rock" (electro) samples a great deal of Kraftwerk's "Trans Europe Express."

Captain Sensible (Damned) and Malcolm McLaren (Sex Pistols founder) tried their hand at rap with "Wot" and "Madame Butterfly" among others. They were not very different from what alot of actual rap artists were doing at the time.

Blondie did alot of reggae and songs that would have been considered rap at the time.

Sinead O'Connor's video for "I want Your (Hands on Me)" featured a version of the song with MC Lyte rapping during an extend middle part.

Of course there's the famous Sisters/PE gigs.

That's just a few, but I'm sure others could think of much more.

When I used to frequent goth/new wave clubs, while the back rooms were always playing the goth stuff, the main rooms always had very diverse playlists that included near hip hop acts such as Stereo MC's, Beastie Boys and Massive Attack, but I think back then, DJ's tried to challenge their audiences with many kinds of music. "Alternative" was a term used to denote a wide range of different types of music, not a sound.

Last edited by Junk Bond Trader; 10-10-2005 at 11:39 AM. Reason: grammar
Junk Bond Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:23 PM   #50
Jane13

That's really cool, Junk Bond Trader! I know Dr.Dre also helped NIN mix a CD... I don't remember which one. I just think it's interesting... the diversity of different electronic music types, that is, and how they all seem to borrow, trade and experiment with one another at times.
-Cinema Strange