Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:28 AM   #1
Catsohori

Simply Compiling?

I am sadly, new to this site...

What I am wondering is does everyone buy their "gothic" wear from stores that are just openly gothic?

Personaly, I only wear silver jewerly and wear black. And most of my items are purchased from stores that just sell black clothing. However, I take the time to compile a look that is still gothic in appearance. Mind you it falls more around the Romantic Style, but still. The only things that I have are some random counterconsumerist bought gloves from Hot Topic.

Otherwise my entire affair was congealed from my time to find what I wanted.
Catsohori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:20 AM   #2
Minyaliel

I've often looked longingly on items in gothic shops online, but I'm a poor student, so most of my clothing is from thrift stores, places like H&M (often modified later) or entirely self- made.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:00 AM   #3
Delicate_Torture

I buy clothes from everywhere.. not just 'gothic' stores, as a matter of fact I buy from very few 'gothic' stores because I wear plus sizes. I have a collection of some beautiful pieces that I've had made for me over the years and others that I've found in stores.. but it has taken me years to compile my wardrobe and it is a work in progress. I think that even if you just 'Hot Topic' yourself a wardrobe you are going to just end up with clothes that you might like for a season, that don't really express who you are and that probably will fall apart fairly easily.

A wardrobe is something that you should have to work towards. Your pieces should have stories behind them. I have a top hat that was given to me by a French man's family who I nursed when he died. I have mourning gloves that my grandmother wore to my grandfather’s funeral. You clothes should carry a history, and finding them on sale in Hot Topic for $4.99 does not constitute a history.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
c130

I do, but only because they're practically the ONLY shops in Glasgow that sell non-"fashionable" clothes. Primark is good too though, extremely cheap but good quality, for ties, belts, plain t-shirts, etc.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:31 AM   #5
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicate_Torture
finding them on sale in Hot Topic for $4.99
Whatever product you were thinking, think it more like $14.99.
In any case, I would hate to shop exclusively at gothic shops. I do buy things online from places like the Blackrose, but in real life, I actually hate going to a self-proclaimed gothic store.
Online, you go to a gothic store because you know what you are looking for. In real life, you go to a gothic store and settle with what you find not because you were looking for it, but because it's the best you could find.
I prefer to browse anywhere and buy what I discover. I have found gothier things in the Calvin Klein section than in Hot Topic.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
Catsohori

Well, my boots have been around for two years, they pretty much constitute as my dress and normal shows. They've been in movies and have helped me traverse various types of terrain. My hats are kept on a shelf and each reflects a style from the 1930s, my top hat in quest in fact was bought at the same store as my dress coat. The hat came with me to a fine Vietnamese restaurant, the coat has been with me for over a year and helps me stay warm when I don't wear my leather jackets.
Catsohori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #7
killer_asian_Dax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicate_Torture
....and finding them on sale in Hot Topic for $4.99 does not constitute a history.
Maybe not, but that doesn't mean you can't give it meaning. When I was a baby bat and before I got a computer with internet, Hot Topic was the ONLY place near to me that sold even remotely gothic things. What I did was buy things I either liked or saw possibility in and improved upon it. Hot Topic is a great place for the DIYer who is either lazy or can't spend the time they want on a gothy outfit. But then again- like any retail chain (especially if it's popular among the kiddies) it can result in a somewhat large hole in your wallet dependent on what you need. But that's a decision I'll leave up to you.

Like most of the members who've posted in this thread- I too usually find more gothy items in stores like Old Navy, Charlotte Russe or even Forever 21. Just browse. That way you're more likely to end up with a wardrobe you actually like and can live with for some time rather than some clothes you just bought cause that's pretty much all they had. And remember- DIY is your friend!

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:35 AM   #8
honeythorn

I get most of my clothes from a shop in the city ( Birmingham ) . It's a general alternative shop, more of an indoor market almost. There are about...20 odd little shops spread over 4? levels in the building.

I also buy some of my plainer clothes from places like H&M . I quite like H&M actually, they almost always have something I can buy and modify a little ( I am supremely shit at sewing by both hand and machine ).
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
Heatherzilla

Thrift stores are your friends. There are places that run tours of lots of thrift stores, they're lots of fun and you get some great clothes.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #10
PersephoneX

Your clothing is a refliction of you...my clothing always has a story behind it.
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:43 PM   #11
raggedyanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersephoneX
Your clothing is a refliction of you...my clothing always has a story behind it.

Beautifully said. Like I've said before, I'm incapable of DIY. I have actually found some great things in wet seal of all places and really only venure into Hot Topic for fun tank tops and the occasional shirt or pants. Don't let anyone tell you that shopping there makes you "un-goth" because they're just limiting their own fashion choices. In california Macy's and H&M have great hidden potential.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #12
the_ink_bleeds_faster

Most of my clothes are what I find in any store. Do what you want, how you want, that's what I think. As long as you like it, it's okay. I wear a lot of dull greens and black. *Shrug* It's just me.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:20 PM   #13
asta_tintora

Location: To the south of one thing, to the east of that one, and slightly to the right.
Hm, I've delighted in finding the alternative clothing stores in Spain so far. It couples with my obsession of finding hand painted dishes to decorate (my currently imaginary) house I will buy in in the future. Also, starting the whole sewing thing, I like looking at the clothes for ideas and seeing how they were put together.

I'm currently finishing up a shirt (which MIGHT be the first thing I haven't butchered into Oblivion.) Ah well, I'm rambling again....
asta_tintora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:00 AM   #14
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
I buy from all kinds of stores. Usually when I'm in Hot Topic, I'm looking at jewelry in my next gauge (usually just looking, sadly).

Most of my stuff is from the thrift store, or hand me downs. I've made a couple pieces, but I almost completely lack the time.

And even though a couple things were on sale at Hot Topic for $4.99, I've given them stories since then.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:32 AM   #15
Lucretia_my_Reflection

well thrift shops and the little boutiques you see all over the place once in a while .You will see something worth buying, most goth shops tend to be badly over priced and of poor quality. And big W is starting to get more darker things in now as well.
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:31 AM   #16
maggot

What's "Big W"?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:52 PM   #17
Lucretia_my_Reflection

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
What's "Big W"?

Its a department shop sorta like wall mart but in Australia
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #18
maggot

Ah. Thank you. ^^
Old 02-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #19
raggedyanne

I particularly enjoy shopping in Target. Some nice, low-price clothing and the chance to severly jar the mind of that poor fool who works the pharmacy counter.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote