Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
Godslayer Jillian

"To hell with others"

What the fuck is with that attitude?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
LetheanBlacklight

With.... -what- ....attitude?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
Godslayer Jillian

The "to hell with others" attitude. The attitude that let's people think that as long as they've got it made, everything is fine.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #4
Deadmanwalking_05

Well it depends on what you mean by "got it made"

Do you mean loads of money?
or
Folks that give a shit about them?
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:41 PM   #5
Godslayer Jillian

Anything. It's not about materialism. It's about egotism.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 08-23-2008, 02:08 AM   #6
Kristin

I'm a waitress and get that attitude a lot from my customers, probably more than the generous ones. But the nice ones make far more impact on me. A few weeks ago, one of my customers left me a $50 bill as a tip (for a $10 meal!) with a pay-it-forward sort of note. Tonight, I was serving a couple of people who are going to Burning Man, and complimented the girl's black faux leather bracelet. Along with my tip, she left the bracelet with a note that her sister had given it to her, and she wanted me to enjoy it.

These kind of people are few and far between, but they are burned forever into my memory. I just have to think of them whenever I run into the too common "screw everyone else but me" people, to restore my faith in human decency.
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:53 AM   #7
Wingweaver_The_Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin
I'm a waitress and get that attitude a lot from my customers, probably more than the generous ones. But the nice ones make far more impact on me. A few weeks ago, one of my customers left me a $50 bill as a tip (for a $10 meal!) with a pay-it-forward sort of note. Tonight, I was serving a couple of people who are going to Burning Man, and complimented the girl's black faux leather bracelet. Along with my tip, she left the bracelet with a note that her sister had given it to her, and she wanted me to enjoy it.

These kind of people are few and far between, but they are burned forever into my memory. I just have to think of them whenever I run into the too common "screw everyone else but me" people, to restore my faith in human decency.
Wow.... I'm amazed.
Wingweaver_The_Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:22 AM   #8
$haDe

These people devoted themselves from doing so.

It's self-discredit.
Also the last choice for someone that find themselves unable to fit in the society.

It depends -again- on which situation ?
Old 08-23-2008, 05:35 AM   #9
MitsyMayhem

I do random nice things when I have the opportunity.
Whether it's offering to help a teacher clean her room or taking all the trash from our table to the bin at lunch.
I remember once, two years ago, this girl was selling snow cones. I didn't have enough money to buy one, but I gave her all the money I had, since the sign said she was selling them from college. Then my brother and I went back to the pool, but she followed and gave us free snow cones.
Being nice actually does give you a good feeling.
Though I'm not going to dare stray from expressing my opinion or chomping off idiots.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #10
Deadmanwalking_05

I try to be nice guy most of the time and I try to help others unless they press the wrong button then to hell with them.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
Strīcan

Isn't it instinctual, we put ourselves first and above others? I'm not saying that it's fine not to think about others at all..

I think how bad the attitude is depends on the situation given. Any specific circumstances?

By the way, I like the stories, Kristin. It's nice to know people like those still exist in the world.
Strīcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
Godslayer Jillian

It happens even in people that seem to be nice. Sort of like how back in the day a slave owner could be considered a gentlemen and good person because of his attitude rather than his actions.
When I wrote this thread I was just thinking of numerous times my friends just want to have their lives together and that's it for them. I don't even mean that they have deep issues they want to resolve.
They just say things like "I just want to have a house in the woods and get away from all this." or "I just want to live in a commune and smoke pot"
Very nice; middle class kids wanting to get away from oh so much hardships in life and forget the world. Screw the poor. Let them find help and justice somewhere else.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 08-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #13
Solumina

A lot of people don't really think that large scale change is possible so they try to simply make the best life that they can for themselves. Thankfully there are still people out there trying to make a difference, even though they are greatly outnumbered, we can only hope that those of us who are trying are able to actually accomplish something
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #14
Jaye Jang

Sometimes people who treat others with disrespect either cannot sympathize with (i.e. feel sorry for), or empathize with (i.e. relate to others). Sometimes they are egotcentric. Ironically, people like that think they are superior to us 'lesser' beings, but they miss out on a lot, poor souls. Half the joys I've had in life come from 'adopting' strays, be it animals or people. Sometimes I find them and sometimes they find me. (For example -- J. She turned up on my doorstep one day with her little'uns. Totally lovely goth child and way taller than me. She told me my girl sent her as she needed something from me. I asked her what, specifically, i.e. a place to stay, a babysitter, money, [not a lot of that here], whatever. She totally surprised me by throwing her arms around my neck [she had to bend down quite a bit)], and said, "I need a mom." So, she stayed for awhile, and I helped her get: 1) a job. 2) a place and 3) a car. That's how it all began: Now I sing the "49 kids" song, because my 'family' just keeps growing. Oh well. As my brother says, "It's all good").
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #15
Deadmanwalking_05

Good on ya'
Old 08-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #16
Tam Li Hua

I think people just get so bitter and tired of dealing with the world that they give up on trying to be nice. :/

It's a sad thing, though, and hurts a lot of folks.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #17
LilMizNitemare

People with that kind of attitude make me sick.
It's people like that who make me believe the human race needs to die. Then I meet someone who's sweet and care about others first and I change my mind.
LilMizNitemare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:45 AM   #18
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
They just say things like "I just want to have a house in the woods and get away from all this." or "I just want to live in a commune and smoke pot"
Very nice; middle class kids wanting to get away from oh so much hardships in life and forget the world. Screw the poor. Let them find help and justice somewhere else.
You ever think maybe your friends just don't fucking like people? Seriously, a lot of philanthropy in the world is absent because people simply fucking suck. Not all of us like humanity, dude. You do, and you can go protest for rights until you're canonized, but realize a good deal of people, at least ones I know, would rather see the world burn first. I'm all for improving and helping people, but the people I run into make it very hard to want to help them.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote