Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
Rorschach Twin

28 Days Later

I know this movie is rather old, but I decided I would make a thread to discuss it here anyway.

I love this movie... The way it is filmed with a cheap camera makes it so much more... eerie, and emotional. Also the way it revolved around "East Hastings" from Godspeed You Black Emperor! is very well done, and extremely dramatic. The climax of the song really matches the sense of desolation one would feel being the last group of living humans. I don't know, the movie is great though, and also rich in the philosophies one would most definitely experience in such a situation.

But about the sequel. I'm familiar with the "sequel syndrome" suffered by many movies in the horror and psychological thriller genre.. I believe I made a list of movies with terrible expansion in the Saw IV thread, so if you're really interested in my opinions (which I'm sure you're not), go check it out. But, all previous mentions in this paragraph aside, what is your opinion on 28 Weeks Later? Is it worth my money to buy?
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
L'Oiseau Noir

28 Weeks Later, in my opinion, was actually pretty damn good. But it's more about the scientific aspect of the virus rather than flesh-munching zombies, though that doesn't go to say the movie fails to boast its share of undead. It was also a bit grittier, and the soundtrack was superb and reminded me a lot of Akira Yamaoka's work with the Silent Hill series. So, yes, I'd definitely at least rent it if you're not the type to buy first, watch second.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Pantherlette086

I typically like originals better, but prefer 28 Weeks Later over 28 Days Later. I bought the box set(not sure if they have it anymore) but it was worth it.
Pantherlette086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
Rorschach Twin

I'd just like to make sure that it's not mindless violence with a crap plot that is only there to make money (like Saw II-IV)
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach Twin
I'd just like to make sure that it's not mindless violence with a crap plot that is only there to make money (like Saw II-IV)

Nope, actually there's very little explicit violence. Of course, being it's a zombie film, there are times it'll show zombies ripping peoples' throats out. Surprisingly though, it's not very prevalent. As I said, 28 Weeks Later focuses more on the scientific aspect of the virus rather than the infection caused by the virus.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Tha Duckman

28 Weeks Later is terrible. Download it before you buy it.
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
Bete Noire

I like 28 Days Later. Thought it was very well made. I haven't seen the sequel so I can't comment.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:00 AM   #8
Apathy's_Child

It's not a bad movie, but the blatant product placement offends me on principle. If I switch TV during adverts to avoid having them shoved down my throat, I sure don't wanna see it during a movie.

Yeah, I'm an uptight commie sometimes.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #9
drewsilla

Love 28 Days Later. It should have been a stand-alone movie. I think that the Hollywood Powers That Be should have left it well enough alone. It didn't need a sequel. Hated it and thought it was a waste of time.
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
youcancoughonmeagain

28 weeks later is not worth it to buy to me. I bought 28 days later for my best friend, but watch it more than she does, lol. 28 weeks later has good music, but it just doesn't have as much emotion or leave me feeling like crap as much as the first one. I would rent it though.
youcancoughonmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #11
acidxrainbows

I love it for so many reasons. First of all the music = ♥. AMAZING soundtrack.
Also, I laugh every time I think about the church-wall graffiti that says "Repent, the end is extremely fucking nigh".
The actors were good and the camerawork was unique.
But the ending? It just kind of...ended. It was a good ending, but it was sort of like they ran out of money and decided to quit or something.
acidxrainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #12
psyches_reflection

28 Days Later was awesome, in my opinion. I thought it dealt with human reactions to such a crisis quite well (the actions of the protagonist's parents, or of the soliders). That and it was believably creepy and not overtly gory.

I thought 28 Weeks Later was nowhere near as good. The scientific explanation was interesting, but not well enough explained. There are more than two people in the whole of Britain with odd-coloured eyes after all, so why were they special?

Though that scene with the helicopter... sheer awesomeness. I don't think that's been done before, and it made me laugh so hard!
Old 03-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #13
Metabolik

I love this film with a passion, I prefer it to 28 weeks later, it had something more to it.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #14
Tea and Cake or Death

When I saw it I liked it. I was interested in the part deux, but I guess not now after reading all of the reviews.
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #15
IsolatedReptile

I thought that 28 Days was far superior to 28 Weeks. Days had character development, however in weeks they were exactly the same in the beginning as they were in the end. Days had far better camera work, keeping it more suspenseful rather than American horror. Days also had far superior acting with Cillian Murphy. I can't think of anyone from weeks worth mentioning.

Days was just far better in my opinion.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote