Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:00 AM   #1
AlexSokoloff

Checking in...

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job) :

I've been a pro screenwriter for a while now, doing novel adaptations and original thriller and horror scripts for various Hollywood studios. Last year I wrote my first novel, THE HARROWING, which will come out from St. Martin's Press on Sept. 1. (And OH, it's Gothic...) I'm currently writing my second novel, another supernatural thriller, which will come out from St. Martin's next year. I also run a message board for over 1700 screenwriters and serve on the Board of Directors of the Writers Guild of America, west. And I'm a dance addict and adventure travel junkie.

2. Where are you from?

California - Berkeley and Los Angeles.

3. Who is your favorite author?

Well, if I only get to choose one - Shakespeare.

4. What are your favorite films?

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, ROSEMARY'S BABY, DON'T LOOK NOW, WIZARD OF OZ, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, PHILADELPHIA STORY, VERTIGO, APOCALYPSE NOW, WEST SIDE STORY, ANGEL HEART, WITHNAIL AND I

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?

What wedding?

6. At your funeral?

Oh, great question. TO A DANCER comes instantly to mind.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?

Easily. In my sleep.

8. What kind of casket would you want?

Would rather be cremated and flung into water somewhere.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?

Anything with a corset.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?

Not much, really. I love being an adult.

11. What's your favorite band?

Too many to even start, and depends on my mood, whether I'm listening or writing or dancing.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?

U.C. Berkeley graduate - majored in theater and minored in everything Berkeley has a reputation for.

13. Why did you join?

Are you kidding? You had me at "Gothic."

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?

Female. Very.

Great to find this place! - Alex
AlexSokoloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
Sanctus Dei

Welcome!!! Nice to have a decent member join upfront! I apologise ahead of time for the loss you are about to experience... we imagine this place will vanish much sooner then later. BUT I'm sure in the short time it remains you'll bring a valuable presence to the forum as is.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #3
Niels

Welcome!

I may I ask what kind of dance you are interested in? I myself have been practising ballroom and latin for some years now...
Old 06-14-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
Godslayer Jillian

I like you.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
AlexSokoloff

Hey, everyone...

Sanctus Dei (I get chills just typing that...) - thanks for the welcome but you're scaring me - what do you mean, this place is going to vanish? Are you shutting it down? Why? Is there something I can do to help? Seriously.

------

Niels - I trained in modern dance and have done all of the usual suspects - jazz, ballet, tap, theater - even semi-professionally (meaning I was paid but didn't exactly make a living at it!)

Now I'm completely obsessed with partner dance - East Coast, West Coast, Lindy (REALLY love Lindy!), Salsa - and have done a little of all kinds of other dance. Honestly, if I didn't write, I'd be dancing all the time.

My theater mentor lives in Amsterdam, and I love the city. I bet there's a great dance community there.

----

Godslayer Jillian - I'm sure I'll like you, too, thanks!
Old 06-15-2006, 03:43 PM   #6
Magpie_Tendencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSokoloff
Sanctus Dei (I get chills just typing that...) - thanks for the welcome but you're scaring me - what do you mean, this place is going to vanish? Are you shutting it down? Why? Is there something I can do to help? Seriously.
The place is vanishing because we're having some major issues with the admins on the forum. We're not shutting down (yet) and some of us are trying to stick it out. I doubt that there's anything you can do to help but that's a sweet offer.

Welcome and I hope you stick around.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
AlexSokoloff

Thanks...

Magpie Tendencies, thanks for fillling me in. I know very well it's no picnic to keep a message board going - I'm an Admininistrator on a board of over 1700 writers and OH, does it get ugly, sometimes! But we always manage to work things out because we're the only game in town for pro screenwriters, and everyone on that board knows it.

Knowing nothing about what's going on, and knowing full well I could be COMPLETELY off, I would still offer a plea to everyone here to remember that the people who run this board probably aren't paid a thing, probably even pay out of their own pockets to keep it going, and the board probably wouldn't exist without the Admins.

And far as I've seen, this board might be one of the only games in town for those of the Gothic ilk, and it would be a tragedy to lose it.

- Alex
Old 06-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #8
Magpie_Tendencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSokoloff
Knowing nothing about what's going on, and knowing full well I could be COMPLETELY off, I would still offer a plea to everyone here to remember that the people who run this board probably aren't paid a thing, probably even pay out of their own pockets to keep it going, and the board probably wouldn't exist without the Admins.
You can learn some of the history of what's going on in This thread. This is after a lot of great members were banned for what they said in another thread. I'd point you to that one but with all the missing posts, you'd only be able to understand about half of it.