Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:27 AM   #1476
Delkaetre

Haha, I have no trouble with essays *that* little! It's the three thousand word bastards that I have to write that are giving me grief.
I have issues with dissecting fiction as part of study, because I feel it really takes away from the author's intent. No writer wants their work to become a soulless thing that endless students mindlessly quote and dissect. Same goes for poetry. Unless the author specifically states something was his/her intention, I think we should just enjoy the work and stop reading into depths that may not be there.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:51 AM   #1477
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
Haha, I have no trouble with essays *that* little! It's the three thousand word bastards that I have to write that are giving me grief.
I have issues with dissecting fiction as part of study, because I feel it really takes away from the author's intent. No writer wants their work to become a soulless thing that endless students mindlessly quote and dissect. Same goes for poetry.
You think like I do.

Quote:
...reading into depths that may not be there.
That's what we have music for.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #1478
Delkaetre

Should I be pleased or worried that I share thought processes with someone whose name shortens easily to 'Meth'?
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:58 AM   #1479
Methadrine

Quote:
Should I be pleased or worried that I share thought processes with someone whose name shortens easily to 'Meth'?
Probably pleased, since my modus operandi is to usually make people think twice about the sentences I write (speaking of depths... ) or they miss out on something.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:02 PM   #1480
Delkaetre

Haha, then complimented I shall feel. Unless, of course, this is a sign that your intelligence has been dragged down into the muck by speaking with individuals of such dubious character as myself.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #1481
††BlackRose††

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. Finally, after owning the book for years.
That's a good book. I actually prefer that over the DaVinci Code. I didn't like it. It was too long, and filled with too many pointless facts (in my opinion). Angels and Demons is better in that sense.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #1482
spoon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ††BlackRose††
That's a good book. I actually prefer that over the DaVinci Code. I didn't like it. It was too long, and filled with too many pointless facts (in my opinion). Angels and Demons is better in that sense.
I agree totally. I actually hated Da Vinci Code because it had so much promise and then was a letdown structurally.

Anyways, I'm reading the biography of Charles M. Schulz, the creator of Charlie Brown, Snoopy, and the gang.
spoon! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:37 AM   #1483
Undead_Stagehand

Peanuts!

I'm reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Raskolnikov is supposed to be attractive; go figure. I like it, though.
Just finished reading The Stranger by Albert Camus, Matthew Ward's translation. I think Mersault could be considered "Gothic" if he lived during the right time period.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:19 AM   #1484
Methadrine

I began to re-read Donna Tartt's The Secret History again, for about the tenth time. I really love that book...

Old 12-04-2007, 07:25 AM   #1485
BrandT_DisasteR

I just finished the golden compass by philip pullman ans im starting the subtle knife
BrandT_DisasteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #1486
Delkaetre

Re-re-reading Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's 'Good Omens'
*happy sigh* Now there was a writing match made in heaven...
Old 12-04-2007, 10:13 AM   #1487
angelnoir

Currently reading S. Kenyons' Devil May Cry, and a bunch of junk from work.
angelnoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #1488
Godslayer Jillian

Abbie Hoffman's Steal This Book.
Now I know eight methods of getting free food and three for free transportation.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:47 PM   #1489
Beneath the Shadows

"Chainfire" by Terry Goodkind.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:39 PM   #1490
suture-self

Quote:
Robinson Crusoe
Part of my Enlightenment course. We're doing Frankenstein next.
Frankenstein is one of my all time favs. Have you read it before?
suture-self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:23 AM   #1491
Delkaetre

Frankenstein? Goodness, yes. It was my key coursework text during my English Literature A-level, and has the benefit of being rather more readable than many of the other florid, overly weepy Gothic novels of the time.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:58 PM   #1492
Alexander IV

well my current manga obsession is Deathnote
but aside from that I just finished reading Twilight_Stephanie Meyer
And as of now Im reading_ Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz

After that might curl up and read Dracula
Alexander IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:06 PM   #1493
silverbaal

I've been on a Buffyverse diet for a long time, so i've been reading all of the graphic novels for season 8. I can't remember the name of the artist. But this dude or gal is so much better than the earlier artist. The earlier work made the cast look like a bunch of cartoon characters.

My current obession is also women in ancient Rome and Greece and Roman medicine (especially Brain Surgery).

Evidently they were very good at medicine and their work was highly effective. But...Let's just say that if I had a headache back then, i'd find the muscle mass to suffer through it, rather than get a doctor. Yeesh.

I took the warm little body in my hands, kissed the smooth face, caressed the long hair, - then strangled him and buried his body under a mountain of corpses waiting to be cremated.
silverbaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #1494
Delkaetre

SPQR Blues by Klio
Tis a webcomic, but it's a good one. You might like it, silverball, as it's pretty historically accurate, set in Ancient Rome not long after Caligula.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:10 PM   #1495
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbaal
I've been on a Buffyverse diet for a long time, so i've been reading all of the graphic novels for season 8. I can't remember the name of the artist. But this dude or gal is so much better than the earlier artist. The earlier work made the cast look like a bunch of cartoon characters.
Mmmm, Buffyverse... If you haven't already, check out Firefly. Both the TV-series and the adjoining comics. A new issue was announced a couple of days ago.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #1496
Godslayer Jillian

Rorschach convinced me, I'm reading The Idiot.
Steal This Book is just a manual anyway, I can go back to reading it again without getting lost.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #1497
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I am now reading yet another Jodi Picoult book.

It's called "Nineteen Minutes" and it's about a school shooting in a small town. It's very good.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #1498
silverbaal

Quote:
SPQR Blues by Klio
Tis a webcomic, but it's a good one. You might like it, silverball, as it's pretty historically accurate, set in Ancient Rome not long after Caligula.
Ahh. I think i'm in love. Graphic novel + ancient times. Two worlds collide. I'm gonna check this out.

And thanks Meth. I didn't know there was a Firefly graphic novel o_0. I'm checking this out, too.

I took the warm little body in my hands, kissed the smooth face, caressed the long hair, - then strangled him and buried his body under a mountain of corpses waiting to be cremated.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #1499
silverbaal

Quote:
SPQR Blues by Klio
Do you have the link? I can't find it on google.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #1500
Delkaetre

http://www.spqrblues.com/
hope it's useful/interesting/enjoyable for you.