Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Vyvian Blackthorne

Gary Numan

Gary Numan, the influential dark synthy electronic genius deserves a thread here at this point (and if there's already one then he deserves two )

While I am not too fond of the Electronica genre, the aesthetics and work of Gary Numan are my own execption toward his brillant work. It all started with "Cars", of course.

Thoughts? Comments?

Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Old 09-09-2007, 05:36 AM   #2
Underwater Ophelia

Fun to dance to.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:31 AM   #3
honeythorn

I am not familiar with a vast amount of his work, but I do like " Down in the park ".
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
Paigeybobert

I love his music, but I still need to get a CD of him.
Paigeybobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
MaguMan

Always fun to play, "Cars," back to back with something like, "Dark," and have people be baffled by the fact it's the same artist.

His style in recent years has become an intriguing blend of dark aesthetic, but the lyrics are cliche, trite, and over-all tacky as hell.
MaguMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I like everything he has made after the mid 90s. Though I have been having trouble in aquiring his pure album, so far Barnes and Noble has stalled the delivery to their local store by two months. I just recently had delivered the Ade Fenton album that he did the vocals in.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Fun to dance to.
I can't imagine how you would do it. If you could make a video of such a dance I would be eager to watch.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 09-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #8
Renatus

He is a credit to autistics everywhere.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #9
Vyvian Blackthorne

Gary Numan's austistic? Wow. And he must be.
Goth Forever
Old 09-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #10
MIRON

A lot of innovative stuff came out in 1979 and 1980. Most of it still sounds fresh even today. Unfortunately Numan's stuff from that period sounds really dated.
MIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #11
IsolatedReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRON
A lot of innovative stuff came out in 1979 and 1980. Most of it still sounds fresh even today. Unfortunately Numan's stuff from that period sounds really dated.
You may be hearing things off Hybrid then, where he re-recorded much of his older material so it sounds much newer. It's the only CD I actually own, but most of the songs that are on newer compilations (Metropolis and Cleopatra) are actually off of this one.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:06 PM   #12
MIRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsolatedReptile
You may be hearing things off Hybrid then, where he re-recorded much of his older material so it sounds much newer. It's the only CD I actually own, but most of the songs that are on newer compilations (Metropolis and Cleopatra) are actually off of this one.
I was just talking about the TUBEWAY ARMY and the THE PLEASURE PRINCIPLE. When I bought those back in the day they seemed ahead of their time, now they sound really dated and stiff.
MIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #13
IsolatedReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRON
I was just talking about the TUBEWAY ARMY and the THE PLEASURE PRINCIPLE. When I bought those back in the day they seemed ahead of their time, now they sound really dated and stiff.
Ah, okay. When you said fresh, I was thinking you heard the remixed songs. Still, Hybrid is really the only one I could get into. I think his stuff is good, just not what I enjoy listening to.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #14
dreamydancer

His influence is underrated for such a breakthough artist. That's not cool considering how out of this world his work is.

~Clan of Xymox
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #15
zeronegativeplus

I preffer the newer songs.
zeronegativeplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #16
honeythorn

He isn't autistic, he has Aspergers syndrome. Well, I think it is a type of autism, but not as severe as full on autism.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:17 PM   #17
DarkGentleman

I do enjoy listening to Gary Numan here and then.

I have "I live your dream" (Gary Numan remix) by Project Pitchfork, it sounds sooooo ambient you want to listen in the dark.
DarkGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #18
††BlackRose††

I like some of his songs... but I have only heard of a few of his songs. LOL.
††BlackRose†† is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #19
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
He isn't autistic, he has Aspergers syndrome. Well, I think it is a type of autism, but not as severe as full on autism.
It is a form of autism I know, I first got into Gary Numan while looking into my own Aspergers.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #20
homo-adonis

For Gary Numan fans I suggest you check out an album by former Ultravox singer John Foxx The album is Metamatic it came out around the same time as Gary Numans earliest works I think around 1980 and is incredibly cool. Some of the songs are "underpass" "No one driving" and " This city" Not sure if its available on Cd but someone must have it for downloads.
homo-adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:26 PM   #21
viscus

I was obsessed with his late 90's-present material for a while, then I kinda got over it. I still really like him and view him as tremendously influential, however.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #22
badteccy

Gary Numan is pretty k-rad.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #23
kwaniesiam

I grew up listening to Gary Numan because my mum was a fan when she was younger. She said he is amazing live...and was only 17 when she first saw him. My favorite song is "Praying to the Aliens", but also liked Exile. It's awesome how his stlye has changed so much yet still sounds great, IMO.
kwaniesiam is offline   Reply With Quote