Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:30 AM   #26
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenmother
Ok...so yeah. I give up. Fuck it. If it's not Ophelia it's someone else. I am intelligent and witty.
Hey, you know what's possible? That there isn't a vast conspiracy to convince you that you're a moron in spite of your vast intelligence and wit, but rather that you simply keep doing stupid shit that people are compelled to point out to you.

Quote:
Could you not have been a little nicer?? Wait...no...you couldn't. Your to high up on your fucking 'I am god' attitude that you don't care who you insult. Way to fucking go...*rolls eyes*
Was I mean? No. I may not have been effervescently affable, but I didn't call you fucking stupid or anything (until now). I merely rendered an entirely objective observation, stated an evident truth. Why, then, did you throw a shit fit? Because you're insecure about your intellect, and naturally became defensive when confronted with the reality of its deficiency, just as whenever Ophelia, in genuinely trying to be helpful, happens to establish that you're wrong about something, you ignore the knowledge she seeks to share and render a vain attempt to bitch her out.

Btw, you're*, and one can't be up on an attitude.

Quote:
You´re right, I did´n´t even know the concept, can you explain it to me ?
Sure Noumi, since you courteously requested further explanation in lieu of an internet temper tantrum, I would be happy to oblige.
An oxymoron is a phrase that contains an inherent paradox or absolute contradiction. Some classic examples might be "Jumbo Shrimp", "Cold Fire", or "Mature, Intelligent Ravenmother". A number of the posts in this thread contain viable oxymoronic phrases: "Cannibal Vegetarian" certainly works, as cannibals by nature must eat other humans, and therefore cannot be vegetarian. "Pacifist Warmonger" also functions, as a Pacifist detests violence and a warmonger revels in it.
Others are not obviously flawed, but remain technically incorrect. "Hunter Vegetarian" is close, but no cigar, as the true definition of a vegetarian is one whose diet consists only of vegetables, not one who generally opposes the murder of animals. A hunter need not eat his kills, and while very few vegetarian hunters are likely to exist, their existence is not an impossibility. "Dead Zombie" is simply redundant- a Zombie is, by nature, both dead and alive, thus to say "Dead Zombie" is to say "Dead Living Dead". "Anorexic House" is definitely an impossibility, but reduces the concept to the absurd, more an example of personification than oxymoron- houses cannot be anorexic, but they do not by nature have high-self esteem as they're inanimate objects.
Finally, there are those that make no sense whatsoever, such as "Evaporated Milk" (milk evaporates all the time) "Zombie Cannibal" (Zombies are often depicted as cannibals) "Environmentalist of Doom" (ELF) or "Milk Man" (this isn't even a phrase, just two nouns).
Hope that helped.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:37 AM   #27
Nevan

Jesus gothicusmaximus, did someone steal your KFC? Witty as you are, that sort of sarcasm isn't really necessary.

Anyway.

Man-maid.

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:50 AM   #28
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevan
Jesus gothicusmaximus, did someone steal your KFC? Witty as you are, that sort of sarcasm isn't really necessary.
I don't think I made a single sarcastic remark in that entire post. I don't have to explain what that is also, do I?

As it happens, I'm not having the best day, and that's certainly the only day on which I'd be able to muster any tolerance for Ravenmother bitching at me because she posts before making sure she comprehends simple concepts.

Quote:
Man-maid.
For the love of god.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:06 AM   #29
Nevan

No, you didn't make a single sarcastic remark. That whole paragraph in its entirety is simply your display at proving how superior you are in outwitting everyone else.

And 'for the love of god' - last time I checked this thread was meant to be a game. If you don't want to play, get out. You having a bad day does not give you the right to bash those that are entertaining themselves in whatever manner - be it how pointless - they see fit.

Fuck it anyway. I stopped trying to 'prove myself' when I reached puberty.

- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Old 04-01-2008, 05:38 AM   #30
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
No, you didn't make a single sarcastic remark. That whole paragraph in its entirety is simply your display at proving how superior you are in outwitting everyone else.
Actually, half of my post is devoted to disparaging Ravenmother, while the other is my totally cordial explanation of oxymoron.

Quote:
And 'for the love of god' - last time I checked this thread was meant to be a game. If you don't want to play, get out.
Last time I checked this thread was meant to be an oxymoron game. I was merely chagrined to find that it contained so few oxymorons.

Quote:
You having a bad day does not give you the right to bash those that are entertaining themselves in whatever manner - be it how pointless - they see fit.
Agreed, but I never bashed anyone for having fun, or because I had a bad day. I bashed Ravenmother because she threw a tantrum and made a fool of herself.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:54 AM   #31
Nevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Last time I checked this thread was meant to be an oxymoron game. I was merely chagrined to find that it contained so few oxymorons.
That said, with 'oxi-moron' misspelled in the title, why were you even expecting serious, accurate oxyomorons at all?

- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Old 04-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #32
GothicChristian

This thread has been thread-jacked, courtesy of gothicusmaximus.
I must thank any of you who've had the patience to wait this out, it is not likely that this thread will go back to the way it's supposed to be without some interference.

Manly Woman
GothicChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:58 AM   #33
Noumi

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Sure Noumi, since you courteously requested further explanation in lieu of an internet temper tantrum, I would be happy to oblige.
An oxymoron is a phrase that contains an inherent paradox or absolute contradiction. Some classic examples might be "Jumbo Shrimp", "Cold Fire", or "Mature, Intelligent Ravenmother". A number of the posts in this thread contain viable oxymoronic phrases: "Cannibal Vegetarian" certainly works, as cannibals by nature must eat other humans, and therefore cannot be vegetarian. "Pacifist Warmonger" also functions, as a Pacifist detests violence and a warmonger revels in it.
Others are not obviously flawed, but remain technically incorrect. "Hunter Vegetarian" is close, but no cigar, as the true definition of a vegetarian is one whose diet consists only of vegetables, not one who generally opposes the murder of animals. A hunter need not eat his kills, and while very few vegetarian hunters are likely to exist, their existence is not an impossibility. "Dead Zombie" is simply redundant- a Zombie is, by nature, both dead and alive, thus to say "Dead Zombie" is to say "Dead Living Dead". "Anorexic House" is definitely an impossibility, but reduces the concept to the absurd, more an example of personification than oxymoron- houses cannot be anorexic, but they do not by nature have high-self esteem as they're inanimate objects.
Finally, there are those that make no sense whatsoever, such as "Evaporated Milk" (milk evaporates all the time) "Zombie Cannibal" (Zombies are often depicted as cannibals) "Environmentalist of Doom" (ELF) or "Milk Man" (this isn't even a phrase, just two nouns).
Hope that helped.

oh...yeah, thanks a lot. It´s like I say ¨Peaceful war¨ or ¨intentional accident¨

ピラール
Noumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:04 AM   #34
GothicChristian

I twitch at thee!
You should continue with the game, your responses are instigating him to continue!
GothicChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #35
Underwater Ophelia

Let's start over:
Gold silverware.

PS--Gothicus rules!
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #36
Catch

Silverware Plates
Old 04-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #37
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Plates made of mercury.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:04 AM   #38
Underwater Ophelia

All right, fuck this thread. Like Gothicus, I'm out.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #39
$haDe

Mercury Liquid
Old 04-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #40
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by $haDe
Mercury Liquid
Uh I don't think that is an oxy moron but to continue.
Liquid diamond (yeah an ugly looking combination)

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #41
DeathToLems

diamond cake
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #42
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Easy payment.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:47 AM   #43
DeathToLems

payment tramp
Old 04-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #44
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Tramp Nun.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #45
DeathToLems

nun vampire
Old 04-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #46
emeraldlonewoulf

vampiric haemophobe

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #47
Stormtrooper of Death

homophobe gay-stripper
Old 04-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #48
IsolatedReptile

Heterophobe Straight-Stripper
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #49
Catch

Straight-Stripper Dressing