Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Shooting at Virginia Tech

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vte...ing/index.html

So far a guy went crazy and shot people. 31 are dead so far. This is said to be the worst school shooting in U.S. history.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
Lykaios

I feel horrible for the people, yet I'm extremely happy that this is now considered the worst school shooting in U.S. History. Living in Colorado, where Columbine occurred, hopefully my joy is understandable.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Crying_Crimson_Tears

In a weird way I guess that's understandable. But I as well feel very horrible for these people. This is sick and now you have to ask yourself, is someone going to try to out do this person??? Is someone going to try to kill more people just to see if they can??? What will the sick and twisted people of the world do now??? It's a very scary thought.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
Lykaios

Holy shit.. I just realized where this shooting was. VIRGINIA. My girlfriend lives out there, and that's where I'll be moving in the next few months. Ah, damn. I thought I'd escaped the little comments and such. Now this really sucks.

It's a good thing she doesn't live in that part of the state.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
hollowmaggot

I'm so curious about the shooter.
hollowmaggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #6
nouvellevogue

As am I, but they haven't released that yet.
As far as I've heard/read, it was a guy who was having conflict with his girlfriend.
nouvellevogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #7
DarkHeartedDemoness

Did he have a mohawk? A trenchcoat? A black t-shirt? Did he like Green Day? Is there someway they can imply that it's a goth thing?

Those are my main questions.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #8
hollowmaggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness
Did he have a mohawk? A trenchcoat? A black t-shirt? Did he like Green Day? Is there someway they can imply that it's a goth thing?

That's what I thought. I hope not.
hollowmaggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #9
Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness

The guy could have been wearing a phat farm shirt and a dew rag and they would still blame the goth culture, but my bet is its some pseudo-goth who will be the shooter, and yet again the looks of not just surprise or disgust, but pure unadultered fear will come back to the culture, even though they shooters I've seen and heard of were people we would not allow to share our oxygen, because they spit on our culture. Tension was high amongst the goth culture in my school today for this reason, we were following the story closely, as some mundanes were making jokes next to us about the same thing, this is a serious thing, at least in my circle, and I foresee the worst.

"Red velvet lines the black box."
~Peter Murphy

*Holding a gun to Robert Smiths Head.*
Smith: DON'T KILL ME!!!
Me: STOP EATING!!!
Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
Vako

I am turning on the radio to hear if my local stations are reporting it yet. I'll tell ya... they haven't even mentioned it yet. L.A. is so L.A.-centric. They probably won't even mention it until tonight, and the TV news will crawl on it even later... after all, it's uhh... Virginia. Ain't nothin' thar but NASCAR and tractor-pulls... (That's L.A. news talking, not me).

I am very curious as to the murderer's motivation. Can't wait to find out. It cannot possibly be something as trivial and lame as girlfriend trouble.

Oh well. When he gets to prison... rack 'em.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #11
Haunted House

They said he was an asian guy in his 20s wearing a vest and belts of ammo. Thats all they said in regards to him appearence.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #12
Vako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward
we were following the story closely, as some mundanes were making jokes next to us about the same thing, this is a serious thing, at least in my circle, and I foresee the worst.
Ha! I like that. some "mundanes". Perfect way of describing the many individuals who do not have a sense of style of their own. I refer to them as "squarestates". I got it from some movie back in the 90's. I like yours better. I'm going to adopt it and add it into my vernacular.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #13
Vako

They just got around to reporting it. 2:30 PM. Then they immediately proceeded to report on... L.A. news... and traffic.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #14
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vako
Ha! I like that. some "mundanes". Perfect way of describing the many individuals who do not have a sense of style of their own. I refer to them as "squarestates". I got it from some movie back in the 90's. I like yours better. I'm going to adopt it and add it into my vernacular.

Actually, that phrase has been around for quite some time. I'm weary about using it.

In other news, this is really fucked up. I doubted from the get go it was a "goth".

I'm surprised they even had to talk about what he looked like. Are people EXPECTING a black clad neo boi or something?

I dunno, my concerns really weren't on the impact of goth as it was more about people being killed. Sadly, I'm really not that shocked. What pisses me off is how "trendy" this kind of thing is. I'm of the mind to educate kids these days on how fucking retarded it is to resort to violence to solve your problems. But, children have to fit in and seem like the big man on campus by paying for it in blood. Fucking kids. I don't get why they think they have to do this shit. Oh wait, it's because it's fucking cool...

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:58 PM   #15
nouvellevogue

The gunman is dead, so he won't be going to jail. Committed suicide right after the entire thing.

The death toll went up from 30 to 33

And it's being called a college columbine?
http://www.cnn.com/ <- It says that under the live feed link.
nouvellevogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #16
KontanKarite

College columbine....

Fucking retarded. It's a school shooting.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #17
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Actualy this is being ranked as the worst MASS shooting in the country. Also from what I have seen on PBS College shootings have been happening for awhile here in the USA I one I think was back in the 50s with a sniper shooting down from the College's clock tower.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:21 PM   #18
bleedingheart344

I think we all need to drop the whole Columbine thing. Yeah, it happened. It wasn't any different than other school shootings. I hate how we are subjugated to exile just because of Columbine. I get insults and slander thrown around because of Columbine and various gothic stereotypes and it just burns me. People just dwell on these things and it leads to generalizations being made about a specific group of people. Good lord, it's almost like the issues of race in the 40's and 50's. Not meaning to offend anyone with that analogy by any means, but it's true in a sense.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #19
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Yeah I checked the earlier shooting I spoke of and it was actualy August 1st 1966, he sniped out and killed 16 people. This was at the University of Texas. The previous record holder of the mass killing record was in "Killeen, Texas, in 1991, when George Hennard plowed his pickup truck into a Luby's Cafeteria and shot 23 people to death, then himself".

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:54 PM   #20
Vako

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
College columbine....

Fucking retarded. It's a school shooting.
I despise when the newsmedia assigns a 'cute, convenient. clever, catchy' title to this sort of crime. Some guy just murdered 33 (or more) people. Giving a cute little name to it just trivializes the thing.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #21
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vako
I despise when the newsmedia assigns a 'cute, convenient. clever, catchy' title to this sort of crime. Some guy just murdered 33 (or more) people. Giving a cute little name to it just trivializes the thing.

I know. It sickens me. Not only that, but calling as such means certain people are bound to get flack for this shit just because of some black pants, black shirt, and a trench coat.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #22
Vyvian Blackthorne

Good goth, another shooting...that's awful. I'm afraid, like DarkHeartedDemoness and Hollowmaggot, if the subculture was to be blamed...again =
Old 04-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #23
ChiChian

I kind of find it ironic that the fellow was Asian.

The stereotype goes that this is the minority group that is quiet, studious and generally boring. Unless you're talking about the media where they're depicted with 'the accent' and are equipped with references to their culture in a humorous way.

I'm not holding anything against Asians since I am one myself. But I'm curious as to what kind of person and interests he had and what his girlfriend did to push him past his limit.

Terrible news, really.
ChiChian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #24
MollyMac

I just get tired of it. The violence and then the blame and then the superficial closeness of the community for 3-6 months, and then it repeats. I was in Jonesboro way back at the Westside shootings, god, what- eight years ago? It fucks a community up, but nothing really changes.

Unless it all changes, nothing will change. Why blame him? Blame us too.

Everyone feels bad, everyone watches everything closes for a while, everyone blames mom, blames the teachers, the teasing, the economy.

Blame who you choose, a decision was made.

And still, nothing will change.

And, yeah, of course my heart goes out to those killed and hurt, to their families, to those officials, policemen and chancellors who have to break the news to friends, parents and lovers who are just waiting.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #25
Gothic.net

I thought this was an interesting article/evaluation regarding motive and profile:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18141368/site/newsweek/