Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
LogisticWolf

Which anime character makes the best goth

I would say the Sethiroth from final fantasy is 1#
LogisticWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
badteccy

None.
Anime is terrible.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
KontanKarite

None.

Anime is good for being anime. Not for being a goth thing.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I agree with Kontan

badteccy *glares* I accept it is your opinion but.... it still makes me grumpy you didn't give a reason, unless there's somewhere else i can find the reason?
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
dark_dragon_of_ice

Well Anime is just the art style of the Episode/movie..Its sort of like real life movies...It could be about anything story wise..and the characters could have whatever background the team wants...So it is possible if someone gets around to making a character who likes Bauhaus...Heck I might make Manga on it.
I hate Sepiroth such a pansy villain.
But this could be just general anime hatred..which I understand in a way because I despise Naruto fan boys or any fanboys /girls for that matter.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I watch Naruto but I try to keep an air of dignity about myself before, in and after each viewing, I assume you're referring to the "Naruto is epic and the ONLY anime!" etc. etc. kids?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Canvas Corpsey
I agree with Kontan

badteccy *glares* I accept it is your opinion but.... it still makes me grumpy you didn't give a reason, unless there's somewhere else i can find the reason?

Simple. The reason is she's never soon a good anime, or hasn't bothered to watch an anime outside of what they play on Adult Swim. And yes, good anime does exist--try Shingetsutan Tsukihime on for size. Good story, good characters.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:49 AM   #8
Madarame

For me Anime has nothing to do with goth, my goth and otaku sides are quite seperate from each other.I don't really think anime and goth goes together, I suppose you could have an Anime that was "gothy" in the way that say Tim Burton movies are, where it has a certain style or feel that makes it sort of gothic, I've never seen anything like that though.

As for characters being goth there needs to be some reason that they are considered goth, an interest in goth music being the main one. Dark dragon of ice mentioned something about writing a manga about something like that, I do know one with similar themes (or at least I think, never released in english so I'm unable to confirm it). It was written by Maki Kusumoto and is called "KISS xxx" to quote from a book I have here "the series was based upon the subject of punk and gothic style music. The story portrays a music band's activities and the romantic relationships between the characters".
Like I said I don't really know if it is goth but for what it's worth one of the characters kind of looks like a very skinny David J.
Madarame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:16 AM   #9
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Actually gothy sort of anime; of course, I remembered one i consider so!

Le Portraite De Petite Cossette

Everyone go watch it or read the manga!
Old 01-26-2008, 02:56 AM   #10
Lolly PopMuzik

Christ, even DarkPrayer's posts had better quality than this.

And if badteccy doesn't care for animu, suck it up and let her have her say. Whining and acting all grumpy without any respectful dissent just makes you look like a douchy otaku. Besides, a lot of it today fails miserably.

Oh, and The Boondocks is not anime. Thanks for playing.
Lolly PopMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:17 AM   #11
dark_dragon_of_ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik
Christ, even DarkPrayer's posts had better quality than this.

And if badteccy doesn't care for animu, suck it up and let her have her say. Whining and acting all grumpy without any respectful dissent just makes you look like a douchy otaku. Besides, a lot of it today fails miserably.

Oh, and The Boondocks is not anime. Thanks for playing.
I think if you reread the comments no one said that she wasn't allowed her opinion.They were merely expressing their own.
I myself Watch only a tiny bit of anime.. however I do quite like the art style and I use it quite alot in my works.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Canvas Corpsey
Actually gothy sort of anime; of course, I remembered one i consider so!

Le Portraite De Petite Cossette

Everyone go watch it or read the manga!

That was an extremely good anime--shame on me for not having mentioned it earlier.

And Pop, no one here said she couldn't have her own opinion. Read a bit more carefully next time, and you'd probably catch that. And stop using the word otaku, you have no idea what it means--or if you do, then shame on you for using it.

Otaku is a derogatory term used in Japan to refer to people who center their entire existences around anime. These are the fanboys and fangirls that have rows and rows of figurines, a closet-worth of cosplay outfits, and libraries of anime DVDs and manga. And I'd like to argue I'm not one of those individuals. I enjoy anime when I indulge in it, but I don't worship it.

Damn people and their misused terminology.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

Old 01-26-2008, 02:05 PM   #13
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Oiseau Noir

[color=DarkRed]Otaku is a derogatory term used in Japan to refer to people who center their entire existences around anime. These are the fanboys and fangirls that have rows and rows of figurines, a closet-worth of cosplay outfits, and libraries of anime DVDs and manga. COLOR]
One thing I noticed though is that Americans and European (if so) like to be called Otaku. I know someone who is one and he takes the term "otaku" as a compliment, so does all the other anime freaks at my school. They even have a club for it, afterschool, every Tuesday, in the Japanese room. Where they sit around and watch anime for two hours or so.
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #14
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cogs
One thing I noticed though is that Americans and European (if so) like to be called Otaku. I know someone who is one and he takes the term "otaku" as a compliment, so does all the other anime freaks at my school. They even have a club for it, afterschool, every Tuesday, in the Japanese room. Where they sit around and watch anime for two hours or so.

That's because they're idiots who don't know the real definition of the word, and just use it because it makes them sound more "anime fannish" and "Japaneseish."

Didn't think I'd need to pull this out, but I think I must since so many people misuse the term:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku

Read, and learn (not you, Cogsy, just the people who like to throw it around all willy nilly). But hey, if it answers some of your questions about it in the process, then that's all good.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #15
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:

Simple. The reason is she's never soon a good anime, or hasn't bothered to watch an anime outside of what they play on Adult Swim. And yes, good anime does exist--try Shingetsutan Tsukihime on for size. Good story, good characters.
Or...she just doesn't like anime...
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #16
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cogs
One thing I noticed though is that Americans and European (if so) like to be called Otaku.
Another example of how much they suck.
Otaku people suck! Otaku people that think anime has to do anything with goth suck!
Anime in its totality, however, does not. It does not suck any more than zombies suck just because of Resident Evil and fans of it.
Howl's Moving Castle is a beautiful movie, Cowboy Bebop is cool, and Saint Seiya is actually poetic in its Italian translation.
Of course, the point of this thread is stupid if it is serious. What, were you expecting people to say "ohmigod Alucard!!!!!111!"?
No, Anime is not goth any more than Lovecraft is. Unless it was a anime targeted specifically to goths, in which case I'm pretty sure it would blow.
On the other side of the spectrum there's things that might appeal to goths just like Neil Gaiman's Sandman comic appeals to many goths, but A->B is not the same as B->A. And now, in less seriousness, and taking this thread with a grain of camp, the devil from Death Note clearly screams he likes gothabilly.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #17
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Or...she just doesn't like anime...

Yeah. But what I gathered from her response, she said all anime sucks. You can't really say something (and this can be anything) sucks unless you've actually sampled it, or at least included a reason as to why you hate that particular thing. It seems like that's the only fair thing to do, since I'm always asked to provide a reason for why I dispute certain topics. That's what I was getting at with that response. But knowing you, you'll probably just rebuke it, so I'm not going to bother pursuing an argument about it.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #18
dark_dragon_of_ice

Well this thread wasn't even meant to be about liking or disliking anime.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #19
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:

Yeah. But what I gathered from her response, she said all anime sucks. You can't really say something (and this can be anything) sucks unless you've actually sampled it, or at least included a reason as to why you hate that particular thing. It seems like that's the only fair thing to do, since I'm always asked to provide a reason for why I dispute certain topics. That's what I was getting at with that response. But knowing you, you'll probably just rebuke it, so I'm not going to bother pursuing an argument about it.
You're cute.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #20
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_dragon_of_ice
Well this thread wasn't even meant to be about liking or disliking anime.

You know how these threads are always jacked and turned over to a completely new, unrelated topic. Geez, Darky, where on earth have you been?

Old 01-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #21
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
You're cute.
Why thank you.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #22
Soul Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
None.

Anime is good for being anime. Not for being a goth thing.
There's goth anime and manga though...
You know, like "Alichino" and "At Death's Door."
Soul Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #23
Godslayer Jillian

That you call them goth is entirely arbitrary.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #24
Soul Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
That you call them goth is entirely arbitrary.
But they are. That is their anime genre.
Soul Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #25
dark_dragon_of_ice

Gothic lol.ita isn't goth