Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
DarkIce

Chernobyl

Read and view the pages of "Gamma Girl" or "Kid Speed", aka Filatova Elena Vladimirovna, on her webpages:
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/ki.../chapter1.html

And we are still planning and building atomic plants. Disgusting :-(
Old 04-28-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
Nike

very interesting site. Thank you for the link.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
tenet_2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkIce
And we are still planning and building atomic plants. Disgusting :-(
Yes we are. And I am glad.

We need nuclear plants. A few accidents should not stop us. That is like saying we shold not build cars anymore because so many people die in car crashes.

We have to find a means to ween oursleves off of fossil fuels before we kill our home (Earth).

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
DarkIce

Tenet. Hey, I never did look at it that way.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
Miriel

The Chernobyl catasrophy had a very bad effect on many, I was in fact a Chernobyl-baby. The radiation cloud reaches Estonia when ´I was in my mums belly and therefore I was born a little different (actually the doctors said that I was retarded and going to die very soon) so naturally I am against atomic plants.
Miriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
horrorgirl

I remember vividly when it happened. I was scared to death that the radiation was going to make me sick, even though I live on the west coast of the US. Living during the Cold War was very interesting to say the least.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:55 PM   #7
Nocturne

I was twelve when it happened, and I still remember everybody being confused and the newspapers and the radio and TV and our teachers all saying different things. I remember my old man saying that if there was plutonium found outside the plant, there must have been a meltdown, and the core breached, no matter what the media said. Days later we heard on the news, that he was right, that in fact an entire reactor block had exploded. Our physics teachers got into an argument at school, I remember that, too. One was saying there was danger, and one was saying, there wasn't. He seemed to think radiation stopped at the Czech border where our friends the Americans would shoot it down Living in the Cold War was indeed interesting, as you say, horrorgirl.

My husband remembers seeing people on TV in full chemsuits clearing off the top level of sand in a playground. Where I grew up, the people in my neighbourhood took a perverse pride in defying any and all safety precautions. They all said, since the strawberries looked, felt and tasted the same, there could be noithing wrong and it was all lies and propaganda, as my old man put it. He knew about plutonium, but he thought fallout would look like black and red rain - like in the movies, you know. The town magistrate was asking people not to eat vegetables from their garden and had officials at the market with geiger counters confiscating the worst contaminated stuff - and where I lived, eating your home grown stuff was a 'no way will someone tell me what to eat' thing. Those families that did take precautions were ridiculed as cowards. We had learned basic precautions at school - such as washing your hair and shoes, and I almost got a beating when I insisted on washing our dog, too. They could not keep me from washing my hair, though. I was glad when the worst was over and people no longer took it as a personal insult if you didn't want to eat their milk, mushrooms, vegetables, etc.

But what I remember most is my determination not to be dependent on someone else to interpret the data for me. Chernobyl sparked my interest in science - I wanted to know what was going on. I also had my first taste of the selfrighteousness of human stupidity.
Nocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:42 PM   #8
bunnicula

I heard today that the president of Greenpeace now supports nuclear power as an alternative to fossil fuels. It seems that nuclear power is the lesser of two evils. We can't run the country on biodiesel. (though it would be awesome if we could!)
bunnicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 01:32 PM   #9
gloom_cookie

I live in Minnesota.

I walked home from school in the rain, many days after Chernobyl's incident, and my mom made me take a long shower.
gloom_cookie is offline   Reply With Quote