Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:04 AM   #1
Grimm

tHE MAINSTREAM WHORING OFF GOTH FASHION

Has anyone else noticed that goth is becoming more and more popular with mainstream clothing outlets? It's really pissing me off to see something we made butchered into a darker conformity. Isn't goth fashion about art and self expression? Places like Hot Topic and Spencer's Gift are giving goth fashion WAY too much exposure. The worst part is, that mostly non-goths are shopping at these places. I mean, i am guilty of occasionally shopping at hot topic for things i can't get at Goodwill or Value Village, but all the poseurs who buy all this crap make me sick! i want to just come up and tear it off them. And it's not just poseurs. it's emos, scene, metalheads(but that isn't too bad), even some preppy brats are wearing the mainstream goth fashion clones. I've never seen such a trend! I'm not sure if this one's gonna entirely blow over...
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:17 AM   #2
Minyaliel

... or you could just rejoice in the availability of pretty clothing and go on a shopping spree... *rolls eyes*
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:15 AM   #3
Raptor

If people are buying it, someones gonna sell it. Theres no reason to be pissed off.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

You're a fucking dumbass.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:40 AM   #5
honeythorn

How is it that you've only just noticed this? It's been going on for YEARS. Just stick with your DIY and stay safe in the knowledge that yours took some effort.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Tam Li Hua

I agree with the others; this isn't something to get all that upset about.

If you admire self-expression, then let people express themselves as they see fit, even if it pisses you off.

As for being around for when the whole Goth thing first hit the world...you must be in your 40s. And shouldn't a 40-year-old be over the fact that Hot Topic exists by now?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
Moni-que

If you haven't shopped the hot topic clearance section yet, we can't help you.
Moni-que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #8
Valrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
If people are buying it, someones gonna sell it. Theres no reason to be pissed off.
Ah, capitalism, where would we be without you?

And in the whole scheme of things this ranks lower than say, oh, world hunger or the running down of world resources, so if this is all you have to worry about you're doing pretty well
Valrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm
tHE MAINSTREAM WHORING OFF GOTH FASHION
um...you do know that your post comes across even more like mindless blathering if you can't even be bothered to type the thread title correctly.

As many others have said: this is no new trend, I recall noticing it when I was back in middle school (in case you are unaware I will soon be starting my fourth year of university). To be honest Hot Topic is selling less "goth" clothing than they used to, they are switching to newer, trendier subcultures because goth is loosing its popularity with teenagers in search of an identity.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
electrosexual

How did they manage to get caps in the title? :S

As for the subject "content", its just typical angsty teen shit.

You'll grow out of it love
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
LetheanBlacklight

ah what a good first (wait, maybe second) impression to make
LetheanBlacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #12
crucifix

I hated it when a magazine described ashley olsen's one outfit she was wearing in it as "goth chic." It was a basic gray miniskirt and a grey sweater. Ooh, so fucking goth.

Honestly, it takes way more to be goth than to wear black (not talking about the olsen). My one sister is always "OMG! They're goth! They got black on!" And I am like, no, they are all in black, whop dee dee.

But I will admit that I have on occasion shopped through the clearence rack at hot topic for jeans. I am so skinny and their jeans are made for people with no ass, which I am a card carrying member of the no ass club. Other than that, I see their stuff as not really unique and I can never find anything that I like.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #13
crucifix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
I agree with the others; this isn't something to get all that upset about.

If you admire self-expression, then let people express themselves as they see fit, even if it pisses you off.

As for being around for when the whole Goth thing first hit the world...you must be in your 40s. And shouldn't a 40-year-old be over the fact that Hot Topic exists by now?
I know. I have a 30 year old goth friend and she has never been in a hot topic in her life. She is like me, she loves going to a regular store (target, kohls, walmart) and finding stuff and making it her own.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #14
KontanKarite

Heh...

Dude, goth is a marketing scheme to sell bullshit to kids who want to come off as dark and special.

Don't sweat it. DIY. Yeah, there's spooky kids everywhere. But it doesn't stop you from listening to Sisters.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
Wormboy

He's sixteen and angsty, ignore him.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:53 AM   #16
Scotty_Sunday

... where may I get a card to this "no ass" club?
Scotty_Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 AM   #17
XxBloodyrosexX

Seriously, It can be annoying with a lot of 'preps' wearing 'gothic' clothing but, hey, it's their choice. I really have no problem with Hot Topic. I get some graphic T's to laze around in and, if you look, you can find some brands you would buy on the internet and your local mall. my local HT has a great selection of Combat Boots. Why buy them on the internet w/out trying them on when you can, and they have sales!!! I also have a love of TRIPP pants so, I buy them there. I would proudly work there, if I wasn't already booked at my Art store job.
Besides, as a young kid I loved what I now know as 'gothic' but had no idea what it was. (as an eight year old I didn't see much 'outside' the pastel ) seeing the store Hot Topic helped me find the gothic culture. I owe the store.
BTW I'm the only 'Goth' in over 100 mile radius, (that I know of) Hot topic is FAR away.
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #18
MitsyMayhem

I'm newhere, but not to this subculture and as everyone has said, "You are wasting your time". Did you know that in 2006 Vogue had a mini section called Fashion Rocks that featured Goth and Punk Fashion and had an article on Marilyn Manson? And do you not remember the America's Next Top Model's 'goth' themed fashion show? This whole thing has been going on forever. The best thing we can all do is just continue to be who we are and let the rest of the world follow the dang trend. I understand being upset, but there's really no point in complaining and wasting the time of everyone on this forum.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #19
MollyMac

Oh no. Preps wearing trendy Goth clothes?!? How dare they step out of the ralph lauren section of Macy's!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:08 AM   #20
LetheanBlacklight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
Oh no. Preps wearing trendy Goth clothes?!? How dare they step out of the ralph lauren section of Macy's!!!
lmao, because we ALL know they don't follow trends xD [/sarcasm]
LetheanBlacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #21
ForgetThisLostLenore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBloodyrosexX
Seriously, It can be annoying with a lot of 'preps' wearing 'gothic' clothing but, hey, it's their choice. I really have no problem with Hot Topic. I get some graphic T's to laze around in and, if you look, you can find some brands you would buy on the internet and your local mall. my local HT has a great selection of Combat Boots. Why buy them on the internet w/out trying them on when you can, and they have sales!!! I also have a love of TRIPP pants so, I buy them there. I would proudly work there, if I wasn't already booked at my Art store job.
Besides, as a young kid I loved what I now know as 'gothic' but had no idea what it was. (as an eight year old I didn't see much 'outside' the pastel ) seeing the store Hot Topic helped me find the gothic culture. I owe the store.
BTW I'm the only 'Goth' in over 100 mile radius, (that I know of) Hot topic is FAR away.
Hot Topic is nice for random t-shirts. And I also started out as a poor, misinformed 8th grade girl who refused to buy anything that wasn't black and from Hot Topic. I have since seen the light of DIY and sewing my own clothes, and I fell out of the "OMG BLACK ICKLE GOFFIKINS" stage. Not to say that I don't like my black pretty clothes.

I simply just stock up on all the random skulls-with-bows accesssories I can when goth is "in", and deal with the fact that the people most at home in American Eagle are also buying their weight in black nail polish.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #22
Graveyard.Crow

But really, who the fuck cares? Stop being such an elitist "omg that prep isn't as HXC AS ME WHY ISH SHE WEARING BLACK". I'm glad I don't have to go to the states now to get some half decent clothes, I can just go to my local walmart.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:32 PM   #23
MollyMac

No shit. Be grateful for easy access. You'll be bitching and moaning when it's gone. My only beef with Hot Topic is that the non T-Shirt items are not particularly well made for the prices they ask.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:43 PM   #24
Technowitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
But really, who the fuck cares? Stop being such an elitist "omg that prep isn't as HXC AS ME WHY ISH SHE WEARING BLACK". I'm glad I don't have to go to the states now to get some half decent clothes, I can just go to my local walmart.
You could always go to Wally World; it would just take a bit of creative accessorization to get an off-the-rack wardrobe from there to be gothier. =3

I used to hate Hot Topic. Then I realized the store made it that much easier to get funky hair dye, black lipstick and nailpolish, and spooky costume jewelry year 'round. I didn't feel so bad about HT after that. X3
Technowitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:54 PM   #25
TopHaggardDoll

There is no HT in the UK. You should be grateful....i'd love to be able to pop into town and just buy some gothy stuff without having to scour charity shops for hours and then altering the stuff. I wouldn't have to pay £15 to get to London just to buy things ready made.

Screw everyone else who wears their stuff, I don't care about them, they can do what they want and so can I.