Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
BLEED REBELION!!!

Seasonal Gothish-ness?

The way I dress, do my makeup, etc changes with the seasons, the temperatures and humidity levels. Also my colors seem to change with the weather. In the winter I generally dress in black with a few other colors now and then, I don’t really have to try anymore because I’ve built up a wardrobe of kick ass clothes. In the winter (when I have the time) I sometimes dress elaborately, in a very “goth” kinda way. Some days I just wake up and feel like getting all covered in lace and velvet.
My makeup is usually black with no lip stick or a darker shade of red/purple/blue/whatever. And I do my hair allot more. I’m more likely to put my Hawk up etc.

In the spring I Don’t wear anymore elaborate clothes unless some big event comes up where elaborate would be cool. In the spring I start wearing more “punk” (as its been so named) clothes (although I think I have a good amount of punkyness year round w/e)
I don’t wear much black eye shadow once its starts getting warm b-cuz its looks stupid once I start sweating. I wear allot of powder eye shadow in florescent and neon colors with small amounts of neon. I wear ripped shorts with tank tops and boots. I wear w/e thing I find on my floor.
Spring and summer just make me wanna jump up and down.
I’ve only realized the seasonal changes recently
When I look at pics from the summer and spring and then I look at pics from the winter I can see and obvious difference. Most days in the sum I don’t wear any makeup and I wear random things. So I end up looking normal- vaguely insert an alt fashion..

I don’t think I really explained this occurrence correctly.. meh but oohh well

Does anyone else accidentally change their clothes/makeup habits with the season?

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

You mean incidentally change, no? Someone can't go 'oops I'm wearing yellow now'
Yeah, I do change my outfits a lot from summer to winter.
I wear looser and greyer (as opposed to black) pants. I trade my jackets for vests. Sometimes I use no black at all looking indie/hippieish.
The thing I don't like about season changes is that I have a very narrow window where I can be comfortable with fishnets.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
BLEED REBELION!!!

I mean accidental as in not on purpose.

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Stormtrooper of Death

I wear BDU's/jeans year around, I hate wearing shorts. I always wear my oh so beloved vest and my boots as well. The only difference is that in winter I wear my Grandfather's old M65 US Army Field Coat he got when he left the Air Force.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
ThreeEyesOni

About the only major change with me during the seasons is my hair; in the summer I get a fair amount more sun which turns my already blonde hair almost white. I'm not very sensitive to temperature, so in the winter I don't often worry about multiple layers just like how in the summer I'm fine with dark colors and lots of covering. Actually, I make it a point to wear long sleeves in the summer to keep my arms from burning; I never really tan, but I'll burn quite badly.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:00 AM   #6
KontanKarite

Instead of thermal shirts and leather vests, I go with sleevless tees and shredded panty hose for sleeves. I'm also looking at purple denim. I don't know if this is me trying to be a goth or deathrocker, but just a curious direction that I'm going in with my sense of style.

I remember how it used to be poet shirts, frock coats, and all manner of high gothic fashion. But one day, I went minimalist and haven't looked back. Now, a more DIY aesthetic has been assimilated into my fashion sense. It's now a fusion of minimalism and DIY. I like it that way. I also incorporate a bit of glam occasionally as well and those three things work remarkably well together.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
Delkaetre

I... wear mesh more often in summer, and bigger, heavier coats in winter?
My wardrobe doesn't change according to the seasons, it changes according to the club and today's mindset. Everything from Victorian to New Romantic to a vaguely sinister punk-Noir.
No, you have not heard of punk noir. That's because I just put the words together to describe a particular aesthetic of mine.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
Solumina

I tend to wear more bright (but not neon) colors in the spring/summer earthy colors in the autumn and lots of either really deep rich or really bright (including neon) in the winter
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
Splintered

I don't change it on accident, because I generally wear the same thing all year round. However, I do consciously buy different types of fabrics depending on the season. (For example, in the winter I'll wear poly/cotton, in the summer I'll wear nylon/cotton).
Old 05-18-2008, 08:02 PM   #10
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered
I don't change it on accident, because I generally wear the same thing all year round. However, I do consciously buy different types of fabrics depending on the season. (For example, in the winter I'll wear poly/cotton, in the summer I'll wear nylon/cotton).
Dude! Where in HELL have you been? Or have I just missed the threads you have posted?

Still paintballing? Sorry, don't mean to threadjack but just had to say hi.

So back on topic: I tend to stay indoors in summer. Corporate Goth black will still make me sweat if I go outdoors or more than a lunch hour.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
Splintered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Dude! Where in HELL have you been? Or have I just missed the threads you have posted?

Still paintballing? Sorry, don't mean to threadjack but just had to say hi.
I've been in college.
It sucks here.

Get me out. I dun wanna be a lawyer anymore. I'm content to flip burgers! Just no more!

And yes, I do still paintball. That's where I learned about different fabrics. One case of heat exhaustion and...

Trust me when I say that they matter. My word of advice to everyone: Check the fabrics your wearing during the summer and learn what keeps you cool.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
ForgetThisLostLenore

I generally go more romantigoth in the winter, more heels, longer hair in the winter. For the summer (as it's been starting now and I've definitely gone a different way) I wear black lacy tanktops with button up shirts over them. Most of the time it's a hawaiian shirt. I really should find a picture of my "gowaiian" outfits, they're really quite interesting.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:25 AM   #13
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetThisLostLenore
For the summer (as it's been starting now and I've definitely gone a different way) I wear black lacy tanktops with button up shirts over them. Most of the time it's a hawaiian shirt. I really should find a picture of my "gowaiian" outfits, they're really quite interesting.
I have variations of this:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...ii-2007032.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...ii-2007017.jpg

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:13 AM   #14
Oblivious Nexus

I'm more indie than goth anyway with my clothing, but there are some of the "accidental" changes. Lots of bellydancing/brightly colored loose skirts and thai fisherman's pants in the summer with fitted tanks and henna tattoos, and then as it gets colder there are my more richly colored velvet skirts and cargo pants with black coats and sweatshirts. I used to wear cloaks a lot, especially when I went horseback riding, but the theatrics of it got me more attention than I wanted (as warm and fuzzy and wonderful as my lovely cloaks are) I still wear them to renaissance faires and the like, or when I'm out at night
Oblivious Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #15
crucifix

I tend to wear the same things in the summer except looser and shorter sleeves than in the winter. I usually end up looking slightly punk-esque, but most of the time I still look like my usual gothy self.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #16
Magila

Winter : Camo pants with boots + hoodie.
Summer : Camo pants with normal shoes + T-shirt.

90% of the time it's basically like this.
Magila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #17
Clockwork

Winter's for heavy coats, summer's for fishnets.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #18
Despanan

I tend not to get particularly "gothed-up" unless it's a special occasion.

Since I work at a theatre I have to change clothes so often elaborate outfits are more trouble than they're worth (and whiteface is right out most of the time).

I do have a pretty kickass coat I like to wear in the winter/fall though.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #19
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I tend to wear different things based more on location than anything else. When I'm at home in the summer, I wear jeans and more light (as in weight of fabric, not colour) long sleeved shirts and more colour. My outfits tend to be pretty toned-down in the summer out of kindness to my parents. In the winter, when I'm not at home, I wear more full-length skirts, lacey tops with fishnet-stockings-turned-shirt things or full-length gloves.
I don't show my arms at any time of year. They're ugly.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:37 AM   #20
Wormboy

Erm, I'm far more Industrial/Deathrock/Gothish in the winter. Mesh is hot, so are many layers. Plus, my favorite clothes are coats and jackets. In the summer, I wear T shirts, shorter, doc-esk boots, sometimes shorts, maybe if I can find a vest sure. But yeah. Usually in summer I go more punk and winter more goth. Just for the sake of convenience. I hate the weather in California.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote