Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
Graveyard.Crow

becoming vegan

I've been seriously deciding to become vegan for some time. I am already vegeterian (though I eat fish) and eat a lot of veggies and fruits. However I think becoming full on vegan would be beneficial since it would cut out a lot of junk foods and sweets (such as cheesecake).
I was also wondering if a weight loss occurs when you become vegan.
Pretty much looking for some advice from vegans on this site, and maybe a bit more info for when I start out.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Crying_Crimson_Tears

When you become a vegan, you do lose weight. But you have to be careful or you might get sick. Pay attention to how you're going to get calcium and protein.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
Graveyard.Crow

How much weight loss should I expect
Old 06-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
Crying_Crimson_Tears

http://www.healthypages.net/newsstor...newsid=5280%20

If this helps you.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
Velvet_Mansfield

I'm teetering on the line between vegetarian and full-on vegan. I've actually been considering veganism too.
You will likely lose weight, especially if you eat healthy, low fat food.
(You probably know that, though)
One of the things about veganism is not to eat too much soy, and if you do eat it fairly often, stick to whole foods like tofu or soy milk.

I don't know how much of this you already knew, but I hope at least some of it helps.
Velvet_Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:28 AM   #6
Minyaliel

I'm going vegan too, and reckon that I'll be totally meat free this august. My advice for you is to do it gradually. First stop eating fish (which will be going fully vegetarian), then get used to that before cutting out eggs, and then get used to that before replacing cows' milk. Also, it's not the proteins you need to worry about, really; it's iron and vitamin B12. You might want to start taking a vitamin supplement especially produced with vegans in mind.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:45 AM   #7
Haunted House

I wouldn't be able to do it. I like meat and all, but I'd be more worried about my weight. I'm already underweight and I eat all the crap food I want. My metabolism would kill me (close to literally) if I cut alot of stuff out of what I eat. Its so fast I can baerly keep up with it which is why if I don't eat alot/often my weight drops quickly.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:48 AM   #8
Aaroneet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted House
I wouldn't be able to do it. I like meat and all, but I'd be more worried about my weight. I'm already underweight and I eat all the crap food I want. My metabolism would kill me (close to literally) if I cut alot of stuff out of what I eat. Its so fast I can baerly keep up with it which is why if I don't eat alot/often my weight drops quickly.

I'm actually thinking about becoming vegan. If I wind up eating less and changing my diet, then I wouldn't take a hit healthwise if I lost a few pounds. I might actually look better, but that's debatable.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #9
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
I'm going vegan too, and reckon that I'll be totally meat free this august. My advice for you is to do it gradually. First stop eating fish (which will be going fully vegetarian), then get used to that before cutting out eggs, and then get used to that before replacing cows' milk. Also, it's not the proteins you need to worry about, really; it's iron and vitamin B12. You might want to start taking a vitamin supplement especially produced with vegans in mind.
The thing for me is this. I aready don't drink milk anymore. I haven't eaten eggs in weeks (and don't seem to care). I don't think I care about fish too much and all my favourite foods are not made from animals.
Defenetly will look into the supplement thing though.

It's funny how no one mentioned other reasons for becoming vegan, like THE LOVE FOR ANIMALSm
Old 06-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #10
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted House
I'm already underweight and I eat all the crap food I want.
How much do you weight? I'm awfully curious xD

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #11
MollyMac

Yeah, there will be a weight loss because you are cuttin gout a lot of the fats that are related to animal products. But I would caution you to gradually work your way into it. Going immediately from veggie to vegan cna be a shock to your system and cause at worst severe maltruition and, less dramatic, extreme gassiness. I am not kidding.

It is a healthy lifestyle if propertly researched and lived. Personally, as an omnivore (I eat little meat), the variety worked for me.

If you are doing this as a restriction on sweets and mainly as a weight control option, I am afraid thet the deprivation you feel would get the better of you. Why not try something more moderate (cutting out cheese and replacing it with fat free milk or yogurt, egg whites instead of yolks...) and a higher level of portion control (half your usual slice of cheesecake).
Old 06-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #12
Ishkabibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
It's funny how no one mentioned other reasons for becoming vegan, like THE LOVE FOR ANIMALSm
If your love for animals has driven you to become a vegan, go ahead and do it. The animals will thank you.

In my case, I would love to become a vegan/vegetarian. Due to my poor health my doctor and parents have completely forbidden me from going vegan/vegetarian.

But if you want and can become one, go ahead. You'll probably be healthier if you know what to buy and how to nurish yourself correctly.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #13
biohazard

Becoming a vegan is a very good idea if you are an adult or old enough. It will make you a healthier person and the animals will thank you. But there is a lot of self-sacrifice involved, and some peeople would rather live a short and happy life than a long and sacrificial life. As for myself, I would probably never go vegan unless my health becomes critical, but I might chose to go vegetarian when I am older. I want to take advantage of being young while I can
biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #14
Cicero

I'm vegetarian and only eat free range organic eggs and TRY to only buy organic/bio-dynamic milk. It's pretty much 100% for moral reasons - the meat and fishing industries disgust me. Also the last few times I ate meat it made me really nauseous, so I'm assuming my body doesn't want it anymore. Veganism is only a few steps away but my metabolism just wouldn't allow it.

If you're going vegan I'd highly suggest taking supplements of flaxseed oil (aka omega-3 fatty acids), Vitamin B-12 (or any B-complex) and Vitamin D. Also a lot of leafy green vegetables, nuts and legumes are important for iron and calcium (iron supplements are dodgy since it's possible to overdose).

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:20 PM   #15
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying_Crimson_Tears
When you become a vegan, you do lose weight. But you have to be careful or you might get sick. Pay attention to how you're going to get calcium and protein.
I have been told that eating beans, rice and corn replace all the protein you would have gotten from meats. The three together supply the complex proteins needed for body maintenance, but will also add weight.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #16
DarkGentleman

I gave up quite a bit to become vegetarian myself, I still eat some eggs and fish for protein plus the omega-3 fatty acids.
I tried eating no meat for 3 weeks and I got sick which I was warned not to do that right away. So I tried eating a little fish, little chicken and few eggs then after that I was fine.
I do shop at organic markets, even though the prices are a bit on the edgy side and I buy what I will eat for sure. I love soy milk with anything, best yet in a smoothie for better taste without the milk fat.

This eating lifestyle may help lose weight or at least help maintain it to a healthy level. It's also a matter of eating more sensible and staying away from the junk foods.
DarkGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:31 PM   #17
DarkGentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
I have been told that eating beans, rice and corn replace all the protein you would have gotten from meats. The three together supply the complex proteins needed for body maintenance, but will also add weight.
It's the carbs from them that do that, going low-carb is also a better idea, because eating lots of carbohydrates will make you have cravings by eating more.
DarkGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote