Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
DarkestSunrise

Hey- Noob here

Hey all!
My name is Lorraine ER (Yes, as in Emergency room. I'm disaster-prone)
I'm 27 and I live in New Orleans. I've been lurking here for awhile and finally decided to actually join and say hello! There are a few threads, often makeup questions that were hard not to be able to respond to. I adore makeup artistry. More than anything I would love to have my own boutique featuring indie cosmetics and clothing designers.
Here is my Intro survey thing and I look forward to talking to you all soon.
~L~

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)

I sling drinks to support myself. I have always been interested in fashion and cosmetics more than anything, so I am currently keeping a beauty blog that focuses on alternative beauty and I am teaching myself to sew so that I can bring my frilly creations to life.

2. Where are you from? Massachusetts-South of Boston until '02.

3. Who is your favorite author? Such a tough question. Can there be only one? Hunter S. Thompson.

4. What are your favorite films? Almost Famous, Pan's Labyrinth, Everything is Illuminated, Trainspotting, Rules Of Attraction, Memento, 24 Hour Party People... There's more but I could do this all day!

5. What music do you want played at your wedding? The New Orleans Bingo Show- My sweets said the song "I Give It All to You" should be the song we dance to.

6. At your funeral? Devotchkas song called "How it ends" or maybe something by Lykke Li

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die? Sleeping Pills. I just want to drift off...

8. What kind of casket would you want? Black with purple lining. I care less about the coffin than the grave because I won't see the coffin but my loved ones will be seeing the grave.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit? A mini-dress with big boots and knee high socks or tights. Lots of jewelry. I'm anti-pants.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid? I miss believing there was one person who always knew best and could make it all OK.

11. What's your favorite band? Once again, only one?? It always changes but currently I am loving "Fucked Up" "Angelspit" and "The Devotchkas"

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major? I have some college under my belt as a psych major.

13. Why did you join? I've been lurking and not being able to contribute started to get to me! heh.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender? Femme!
--
DarkestSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
Deadmanwalking_05

Welcome to the Asylum

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
triggerhappi26

Welcome,

Nice to have new blood, especially one with a love clothing and makeup.

WE SHALL TALK AND EXCHANGE STORIES!

but really if you need help on the sewing front I'd gladly chat for hours on the subject.
triggerhappi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Ben Lahnger

Anybody who lists both "Almost Famous" and "Pan's Labyrinth" in their favorite movie list sounds interesting to me. Netflix finally added "Memento" to their Instant Watch streaming library, so I'm looking forward to watching that this weekend.

I live in Houston, so we share the same climate ... although you've got some other environmental concerns right now. I really think New Orleans is such an interesting place to live ... I'm glad it's come back some since Katrina.

Welcome to this place. I look forward to your contributions.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
Bete Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Netflix finally added "Memento" to their Instant Watch streaming library, so I'm looking forward to watching that this weekend.
One of my favourite films ever!

Welcome to the OP
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
ape descendant

Hello Noob...

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
DarkestSunrise

Thanks for all the greetings! Is there a way to reply to individual postings?

Triggerhappi26- I might take you up on sewing advice, as of now I have no one to help me and I'm learning from a combination of books and trial & error.

Ben Lahnger- I love it here. I came to visit and didn't want to leave. I went home, found an apartment online, threw everything from my room at my mom's place into my car and was back here a month later. You've been here before? If you ever want to visit/visit again, you have a guide! Also, I hope you enjoy Memento.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Ben Lahnger

I've actually not been, which is a sin considering that I live so close. But one thing I would like to check off of my "bucket list" is to go to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. Past years it's seemed to have snuck up on me when I couldn't put the cash together to do it right, but maybe with a little better long-term planning this year I could manage it.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 06-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
DarkestSunrise

Ah, Mardi Gras. I love it but the way we do it is not the Bourbon St/what you see on MTV way. We have just as much fun just minus frat boys puking and pissing in the streets. There is a really great second line parade that starts in our neighborhood (9th ward) and goes all the way to Canal st where Rex (the final big parade) rolls by. Everyone is in costume and you see some of the best and most creative costumes ever. We usually go to some of the big parades the weekend leading up to Fat Tuesday as well. Lots of dressing up and getting drunk and catching beads- It's really so much fun. We always have some friends in town for it and the more the merrier. If you decide to come I don't mind helping by recommending hotels and bringing you along for whatever. The whole French Quarter is a big party in the streets and there's a couple blocks where all the goths and punks converge. If anybody else reading is interested I don't mind answering questions.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
Jer66ome

welcome DSR
Jer66ome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestSunrise View Post
We usually go to some of the big parades the weekend leading up to Fat Tuesday as well. Lots of dressing up and getting drunk and catching beads- It's really so much fun.
Yes, that's what I'm down for ... and catching some NO Jazz. Oh, I can rock out and even listen to the typical Goth stuff, but it would be a shame to spend any time there and not catch some local jazz musicians at work.

Well, I'll keep your kind offer in mind. Thank you!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #12
DarkestSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Yes, that's what I'm down for ... and catching some NO Jazz. Oh, I can rock out and even listen to the typical Goth stuff, but it would be a shame to spend any time there and not catch some local jazz musicians at work.

Well, I'll keep your kind offer in mind. Thank you!
Yes- I feel the same. Music is the lifeblood of this city.