Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Despanan

They got Roman Polanski...

and some Hollywood asshats are trying to spring him.

Seriously. I don't care how long ago it was. I don't care how good Chinatown was, THE MAN ***** A THIRTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Sinjob

That headliner really got me the other day... the last person I'd expect to see on world news. The trial's bound to be interesting, though
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
and some Hollywood asshats are trying to spring him.

Seriously. I don't care how long ago it was. I don't care how good Chinatown was, THE MAN ***** A THIRTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL.
I honestly didn't want to post it here, after someone on facebook posted something like "she probably seduced him" on their status (needless to say I unfriended them pretty quickly.) and other comments (Whoopi Goldberg saying "its not r@pe-r@pe"), I just didn't have the heart to read that sort of thing here too. Oh well.

Sinjob, as far as I understand there will be no trial. He pleaded guilty THEN fled, the plea bargain was something like 48 days in jail (pretty laughable) but apparently he found out that the judge was considering a more severe punishment. Thats why the statute of limitations doesn't apply here, since he plead guilty and then fled before sentencing.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
JCC

The person involved has fully forgiven Polanski so I don't give a shit whether he walks or not.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
The person involved has fully forgiven Polanski so I don't give a shit whether he walks or not.
Do you think crimes are excusable if the victims forgive or forget?
Old 10-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Do you think crimes are excusable if the victims forgive or forget?
I'm not going to make a blanket statement about all crimes, but this crime, sure. Polanski has had thirty years for reflection and has apologised plenty of times for what he did and his victim has forgiven him, expressed a desire for an end to the whole situation and is on speaking terms with Polanski. From here, what purpose could prison possibly serve? Seems to me that this is water under the bridge. I wouldn't be outraged to see him imprisoned, but I'm really not bothered if he walks.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
Saya

Quote:
I'm not going to make a blanket statement about all crimes, but this crime, sure. Polanski has had thirty years for reflection and has apologised plenty of times for what he did and his victim has forgiven him, expressed a desire for an end to the whole situation and is on speaking terms with Polanski. From here, what purpose could prison possibly serve? Seems to me that this is water under the bridge. I wouldn't be outraged to see him imprisoned, but I'm really not bothered if he walks.
He apologized but never went back to face sentencing, and its not like he hasn't robbed the cradle since (he dated 15 year old Natasia Kinski shortly after he fled). I dunno, saying "I forgive you" and "sorry" doesn't quite cut being excused for punishment, its not like he knocked over an expensive vase, he drugged, ***** and sodomized a sobbing child. It was a pretty brutal crime and I just don't think any "reflection" he may have done really excuses it.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
JCC

If he gets a prison sentence now, what purpose will that serve?
Old 10-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
Saya

What does any punishment serve? What did flying off to Europe to live on while your victim coped do? Its punishment for a crime he commited, like every other rapist who goes to jail.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
JCC

In 2009, do you really think that you're punishing the same Roman Polanski that committed a crime in 1978? I'm barely the same person week-to-week, now he's a 76 year old man with 31 years between his crime and his jail sentence (which he'll most likely die serving). I just don't really see that there's any reason beyond proving a point.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
Alan

"Every other rapist" is not forgiven by the victim herself thirty years ago.
Seriously, are you even listening to yourself?
- What purpose will this punishment serve?
- What purpose does any punishment serve?

So because punishment has no fucking purpose, we should keep punishing? How fuckin stupid.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
Still Jack

I still wanna know where the fuck the parents were when this happened. Everybody involved deserves a good kicking. Especially the parents.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #13
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
I still wanna know where the fuck the parents were when this happened. Everybody involved deserves a good kicking. Especially the parents.
She was modelling for Polanski, who said he was taking pictures of her for Vogue. Irresponsible perhaps, but I can't imagine that the parents can be held responsible for not foreseeing that "taking pictures for Vogue" meant "I'm going to drug and fuck your daughter".
Old 10-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #14
Still Jack

Wasn't Polanski notorious for that sort of thing anyway? I dunno, the whole thing just seems a tad weird to me, from both perspectives.
Whatever, I don't really give a shit right now. I've got more important stuff to deal with...
Old 10-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #15
JCC

I don't know dude, if he was notorious for ****** children then I think he probably would've fled before 1978.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #16
Still Jack

What I meant, was that he was rather well known for pretty much screwing anything female that still had a pulse...
Old 10-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #17
Saya

Quote:
In 2009, do you really think that you're punishing the same Roman Polanski that committed a crime in 1978? I'm barely the same person week-to-week, now he's a 76 year old man with 31 years between his crime and his jail sentence (which he'll most likely die serving). I just don't really see that there's any reason beyond proving a point.
I doubt he'll die serving 48 days, he has a superb chance of getting even less.

Alan, she didn't publicly forgive him until 1997 (or 98?), I'm sure she just didn't think it was no big deal when it happened and forgave him instantly. and yes many vicims of crime do forgive but thats not the basis of law. He did one of the worst things you can possibly ever do to a child and I don't think being rich enough to evade the law for thirty years until his victim gives up on justice and forgives him means he shouldn't serve his fourty eight days. I don't think saying sorry while only ONCE during that thirty years he tried to make a deal again, after the original judge died. So no I don't think he's really sorry and I don't think any justice has been served, and while I don't want to get into the topic of whether punishment is effective, under the system we have now the punishments for **** are laughable enough, without trivializing the crime by saying if you're rich enough to evade the law, you get a free pass eventually.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #18
Despanan

Quote:
Jesus Christ JCC...Are you really arguing metaphysically for the absolution of crimes committed by a rich asshole?

Wow...that...that takes the fucking cake.
Quote:
Old 10-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #19
Alan

If this has been so important all along, why is it only being talked about recently again?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #20
Despanan

Ummm maybe because he was ON THE LAMB FOR THIRTY YEARS AND THEY JUST CAUGHT HIM.
Quote:
Old 10-04-2009, 12:37 AM   #21
Still Jack

He wasn't "caught". He was brought in by Swiss filth for extradition to the us after living there for quite a long time.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:20 AM   #22
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
Jesus Christ JCC...Are you really arguing metaphysically for the absolution of crimes committed by a rich asshole?

Wow...that...that takes the fucking cake.
I'm not arguing for his absolution at all, I don't care whether he goes to prison. What I'm saying is that at this time, punishment serves no purpose other than it's own sake; the victim isn't going to feel any better if Polanski is punished and Polanski won't have a change of heart in his view of what happened because he already did that years ago, so I don't give a shit IF he walks. You can't say that this is an easy situation to call because it's not, you've got a prison sentence with a thirty year gap between the crime and the capture, and during those thirty years everyone involved has become at peace regarding the incident. You've even got a victim expressing her desire for the whole thing to be over and done with rather than looking for 'justice' on Polanski: how can you expect anyone to still muster any moral outrage?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:32 AM   #23
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
...many vicims of crime do forgive but thats not the basis of law... I don't think any justice has been served... under the system we have now the punishments for **** are laughable...
I just kept the interesting parts.

Let me get this straight.

You think, under the basis of law, which you say is laughable, no justice has been served until a man is jailed for a 30 year old crime that the victim has forgiven him for?

Fuckin genius.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #24
Dragoro

Quote:

Yeah so if your daughter gets screwed by a 40 year old, its ok if she forgives him ::rolls eyes::
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:03 AM   #25
Dragoro

Quote:
Who gives a fuck? He did it just the same, and deserves the punishment.

Thats like saying "well i killed your mom when i was 20, but im 50 now and a totally different person so I shouldnt go to prison for it"

How did this world get filled with morons?
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote