Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Shill
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Shill Post your website announcements here. Anything that is blatantly SPAM (nigerian schemes, make money fast, etc) will be deleted. Actually, we'd probably keep the nigerian schemes around to make fun of it.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:14 AM   #1
4mytribe

Deprogrammed and Dangerous

Hey if you get the chance check out this new song I wrote called "Deprogrammed and Danerous" found at these two links (my earlier releases have done well on these sites but many including myself feel this is the best):

Soundclick:
http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/0...&content=music

AudioStreet:
http://www.audiostreet.net/artist.aspx?artistid=43134

Your Friend,
Marcus Danis
4mytribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:07 AM   #2
pitseleh

If that is an "acoustic piano" as it says on the category description, then I am a skyscraper-tall killer robot.

Hmm, now there's a thought... Maybe with some neat shoulder-cannons, couple o' lasers, molten lava-spewing codpiece, possibly some cool decals displaying my allegiance... Autobot or Decepticon? Aerobot or Constructicon? Hard to decide.

I'm sorry, it's just my brain was trying to distract itself from some nauseating tinkling seeping in through my ears.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:28 AM   #3
4mytribe

Ok so you think the genre is missleading but what about the song. Is it worthless in your mind? This is a public arena and you should say it if thats what you feel. I dont think its worthless at all. I think the music as in notes and playing are almost perfect for this song but that the sound and recording is not. I have issues with that and am gonna do a ton of soul searching and looking at options to find ways of getting what's in my head onto the take.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:06 AM   #4
pitseleh

Yes, to be honest, it's pretty much worthless. It's meandering, has no artistic merit, and no originality. It sounds like nondescript background music to a low-budget, sentimental TV-movie. It's obvious that you can play the piano, but as for the song itself... I'd be hard pressed to even call it a "song". Of course, there is no vocals, but even as a purely instrumental piece, it carries no feeling, has no structure, or even interesting parts, and the whole thing just bores me.

Happy? That's just my opinion, based on the many, many good instrumental piano tunes I've heard in my lifetime, not counting classical music.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:55 AM   #5
bjork_freak

You have excellent piano skills, but I have to agree with Pitseleh, the song is a tad dull and bland. When it was playing, I imagined watching one of those cheaply-made drug addiction movies we have to watch in health. It could use some work, but don't just give up on it because I said that. Where did you come up with the title? In my opinion, a song of that name would have hard electronic beats in the background.
bjork_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:13 AM   #6
4mytribe

Well thats your opinions and since you think its worthless thats when I will definately come back at you. Put up or shut up. Lets see what you have. Show me your music. The last person that said this to me showed me his music and it was hands down the lamest thing I ever heard and so I rightfully dissmissed everything he had to say after that.

I brought mine lets hear yours.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:21 AM   #7
4mytribe

On one other note even if you dont have any music its fine for you to have your opinion and thats cool as there is no way that I will please everyone. And so there will allways be some that will say its worthless. I do appreciate that last person that at least said keep playing. My point would be that the last person that said that to me I played his music to 6 people who's only reaction was laughter.

By the way it debuted higher than any other piece I've written so it would appear some people do like it.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:54 AM   #8
Sobeh

You're obviously really emotionally attached to your music, but you aren't going to be able to get any better unless you can have some artistic separation from your work to allow criticism to fit in there. Comparing your own music to someone else's is foolish - compare your music to your own past efforts, and improve within your own style of expression.

In addition, that you somehow felt good that another person was, in your eyes (and perhaps others as well) not as good as yourself, and thus worthy of criticism, yet somehow you yourself are above such things, is a hypocritical stance to take. You have no standing to critique others if you yourself are unable to accept criticism with grace.

Further, by asking for honest opinions and then responding with anger when it is given is a good way to ensure you get no further feedback in future endeavors. You put down people who spent the time to listen and comment, and prove yourself to have been unworthy of their expenditure. You also chose to ignore their praise in lieu of getting upset at their suggestions for improvement.

Why did you post it here at all? Did you simply expect praise?
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:20 AM   #9
Nike

I'm with Sobeh.

I am no musician, but as an artist (wannabe) - I draw and paint -, the harshest crits were those that really helped to make my work stronger. I am glad I was given that honest criticism, and as a consequence I was trying harder. Sometimes much harder. Then I showed it to the same people and others again, and often I had to work much harder on it still. And you know what, I love every single one of these guys who did take the time to take a look at my stuff and write me what they didn't like about it, to help me with their experience or just with their opinion about it - that someone can't draw doesn't hinder him from seeing mistakes or being able to tell that the piece isn't interesting. It might not always be nice to hear, but sometimes other people see more in something that you yourself might be too close to to realize *mistakes*.
If negative criticism offends you or if you're dead sure it's awesome anyway, don't share it, it's easy as that.

I can't listen to your stuff on the pc in my office unfortunatley, so I all I can comment on is your attitude.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:59 PM   #10
4mytribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobeh
You're obviously really emotionally attached to your music, but you aren't going to be able to get any better unless you can have some artistic separation from your work to allow criticism to fit in there. Comparing your own music to someone else's is foolish - compare your music to your own past efforts, and improve within your own style of expression.

In addition, that you somehow felt good that another person was, in your eyes (and perhaps others as well) not as good as yourself, and thus worthy of criticism, yet somehow you yourself are above such things, is a hypocritical stance to take. You have no standing to critique others if you yourself are unable to accept criticism with grace.

Further, by asking for honest opinions and then responding with anger when it is given is a good way to ensure you get no further feedback in future endeavors. You put down people who spent the time to listen and comment, and prove yourself to have been unworthy of their expenditure. You also chose to ignore their praise in lieu of getting upset at their suggestions for improvement.

Why did you post it here at all? Did you simply expect praise?
Your right of course and I kinda felt the same way you did probably about an hour later. Thanks for putting it to me in a nice way. Kinda thought I was gonna get seriously trashed. Yeah it is hypocritical and all that. To my credit I was very nice to the guy and didnt tell him that nor lie either and I wasnt the only one laughing but point well taken. I guess the response is because they are saying its completely worthless and I personally think thats a bit much but like I said in the second post. I cant possible expect everyone to like it and there will be people that honestly think its the worst thing theyve ever heard and thats fine and natural. I think a more realistic goal is to hope more people like it then people that hate it. Right now I totally hate the sound and have been calling people all day all over the country to try and find a Producer/sound designer that can take the MIDI files and turn them in magic. Have 3 people lined up that are going to make some samples of parts of the song and see if we can get a better result.

You know I really expected to some serious critism on that end as there is alot of ringing and clashing going on that has to be addressed. In fact I'm not even gonna bother releasing or promoting anything until I get a sound I can live with.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:55 PM   #11
bjork_freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mytribe
Well thats your opinions and since you think its worthless thats when I will definately come back at you. Put up or shut up. Lets see what you have. Show me your music. The last person that said this to me showed me his music and it was hands down the lamest thing I ever heard and so I rightfully dissmissed everything he had to say after that.

I brought mine lets hear yours.
I don't make music, sorry.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:23 PM   #12
4mytribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjork_freak
I don't make music, sorry.
You know as I said in later posts its wrong for me to have that kind of attitude. You dont have to make music to have an opinion that matters and for me to even say that would mean that I discount all of those that listen to my music that dont make music themselves. This was wrong and I was wrong. I am willing to appologise and say that I was stupid to bring it like that. I guess I took it personal because the idea that my music is worthless is something I cant afford to take. I also believe that many intelligent people with great taste will find my music worthless and I should realistically expect that. It would be impossible to make a song that everyone can say something good about because people are too diverse for such an ignorant position like that. You are right to express your opinion and I was wrong to attack and again I apologise.

Hopefully some day I'll make a song that you will listen to that you will think has some worth.

Best wishes

Marcus Danis
Old 04-26-2006, 11:22 PM   #13
Blushing Heliophobe

Hhhhmmm. I'm at work so my filter won't let me click on it, but for future reference - you may not want to use your real name. Google pulled up a lot on you.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:54 AM   #14
4mytribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushing Heliophobe
Hhhhmmm. I'm at work so my filter won't let me click on it, but for future reference - you may not want to use your real name. Google pulled up a lot on you.

Thanks for the heads up. But its a little late as my name is out there big time. I think one of the things I'm trying to do is be as open as possible to people. I dont like the elite mindset of many artists out there. I dont feel a need to hide either. I know that many feel I'm an ignorant racist hick and thats fine but thats one of the reasons why I choose to be so open. I tell them quote me where you find me racist and they never can. I dont want people to think like me but I want to challenge them to question everything. So I would like to be as open as possible to do that because I do care about people. I have learned one thing and that is not to send private messages to people that you want to be private because not everyone feels the same way about a private message. But other than that I dont have a problem in people knowing 4mytribe = Marcus Danis and thats where I'm at right now. Still trying to learn and develop as an artist and person.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:47 AM   #15
Wise Child

You know, it's strange, 4my. I still strongly disagree with the views you've expressed, but in a weird way you're growing on me.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:03 AM   #16
bjork_freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mytribe
You know as I said in later posts its wrong for me to have that kind of attitude. You dont have to make music to have an opinion that matters and for me to even say that would mean that I discount all of those that listen to my music that dont make music themselves. This was wrong and I was wrong. I am willing to appologise and say that I was stupid to bring it like that. I guess I took it personal because the idea that my music is worthless is something I cant afford to take. I also believe that many intelligent people with great taste will find my music worthless and I should realistically expect that. It would be impossible to make a song that everyone can say something good about because people are too diverse for such an ignorant position like that. You are right to express your opinion and I was wrong to attack and again I apologise.

Hopefully some day I'll make a song that you will listen to that you will think has some worth.

Best wishes

Marcus Danis
I never said your song was completely worthless. When I said I agreed with Pitseleh, I meant that the song was a little dull. You have the skills to make good music, I don't deny that, it's just this song didn't grow on me too well. Thank you for apologizing, and when I said I don't make music, I didn't mean it in a rude way. I just thought I would explain myself so you didn't think I was acting like an ass because I didn't put my music out there. I'm looking forward to more music from you.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:03 AM   #17
4mytribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjork_freak
I never said your song was completely worthless. When I said I agreed with Pitseleh, I meant that the song was a little dull. You have the skills to make good music, I don't deny that, it's just this song didn't grow on me too well. Thank you for apologizing, and when I said I don't make music, I didn't mean it in a rude way. I just thought I would explain myself so you didn't think I was acting like an ass because I didn't put my music out there. I'm looking forward to more music from you.

Thanks I think I've learned more from people on this site then anywhere else about alot of things.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #18
4mytribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Child
You know, it's strange, 4my. I still strongly disagree with the views you've expressed, but in a weird way you're growing on me.
Thanks back at ya.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:07 AM   #19
Wise Child

You're welcome. I took extreme umbridge to you when you first showed up, and as I said I still very much disagree with your views, but you've met hostility with civility and seem like a decent human being.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #20
bjork_freak

Let's toast to decent human beings!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:14 PM   #21
Crom Crauch

Tribe... good song... but it's a little listless and dull... With something like the title, I was expecting a much faster pace, with more in the way of strange time and key changes (to reflect the de-programmed bit).

Iucunda macula est ex inimici sanguine

Quod sum eris
Crom Crauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #22
Circle V

Hm. Excellent piano playing, but overall it reminded me of the background music from The Sims.