Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 03-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #1
mrs.wes straker

Something You Do or Have Done that Folks Tell You isn't Normal

Today at work I was telling some colleagues that when I was younger I used to play with dolls and pretend I was their god. They told me it was odd, even scary. I don't get it. I'm determined to find at least one other person who played that way as a child.

Other things people have told me aren't normal
-Being turned on by being slapped in the face.
-Kidnapping fantasies.

You get the gist. I don't get why these things baffle people.

Last edited by mrs.wes straker; 03-02-2007 at 09:58 PM. Reason: needs to be edited
mrs.wes straker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:42 PM   #2
DecadentHeroine

Playing with dolls and pretending to be their god sounds fun.

I was actually sort of masohistic as a child, and didn't mind falling over or getting hurt, but only when I didn't do it on purpose.

People say it was strange that I could spend forever making up stories and acting them out with cats and pieces of furniture as characters, but that was just my overly active imagination.

It's also supposedly stange that I can just wake up in the middle of the night and go for a walk, and do that on a regular basis.

Uh....people think I am wierd quite often actually, but I can't remember any more reasons for it right now.
DecadentHeroine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
maggot

I love nightwalks. I'd take one right now if it wasn't filthy wet outside right now.

I commonly talk to myself as if I was talking to everybody in the room. I also tend to have contradiction arguments with myself. [ie: "Yes." "No." "Yes." "No." "Yes." "No." "YES. "NO!"]

I pace. A lot. I don't know why people say this is odd.

I'm too tired to think of anything else.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:13 AM   #4
alshio

- Nightwalks are great. I get nervous if I go for a walk during the day.

- I too have conversations with myself, and arguments that are just contradictions

- Maggot it looks like I'm really copying you now I also pace a lot, although not in straight lines - in circles, around tables etc.

- When I'm making a list in my head (ie: 'I have to make my bed, wash the dishes and dust') instead of 'I', I always think 'we.'

- Whenever I drink chocolate milk at home I never drink it straight fomrothe glass, I always use a soup spoon for some reason.

- I really enjoy watchng news in foreign languages, especially Russian and Greek even though I don't understand a thing.

So that's about the sxtent of my quirks that I can think of off the top of my head.
In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed – they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo, Brunelleschi, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
- Orson Wells
alshio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:47 AM   #5
BlackDahlia

Well, everything I do is considered weird. >.>;
For instance:

-I didn't get my driver's license immediately after I was old enough to drive. I am 24 now, and I STILL don't have a license.

-I skim through magazines from back to front instead of vice-versa.

-I take night classes because I stay up all night and sleep until noon. It's not that I'm lazy, I'm just a night person.

-I try to avoid touching doors in restaurant bathrooms with my hands because some people don't know basic sanitation skills.

-I don't do small talk. Honestly, I don't care about who does what at your f***ing day job.

-I don't eat the end pieces of bread unless it's really damn good bread.
BlackDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:57 AM   #6
Drake Dun

I also pace, although usually only when eating. :P

To this day my favorite fantasies are ones in which I am being wounded or killed. I do not think it is mashocism, though... I am after... something else.

I have no memory of this at all, but people tell me that I used to just start staring off into space, for long periods (especially after reading). Apparently when we would get home in the car, I would just stay there in the back seat, sometimes for hours.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:24 AM   #7
Lucretia_my_Reflection

- i can't walk in a straight line even when dead sober

-i open doors with my foot [even when it means lifting my leg up to unhitch a door

- i like to sleep in odd places [under the house during the day seems like a favourite on the floor etc

- i talk to myself

-like most people i like to pace and reading books on tuning instruments
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:17 AM   #8
Lynn377

- I love to read phone books. -I carry on conversations in my head with myself and others. It's nothing for me to be silent and then just start talking to someone (continuing the conversation that was going on in my head) like I've been talking to them for a while and they look at me like I'm nuts. My mom and I finally figured out what I was doing when I was a teenager. She thinks it's hillarious. - I can touch my nose with my tongue
Lynn377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:36 AM   #9
bleedingheart344

I argue with myself if I'm alone, I pace, I have to redo all of my make-up if something's off, I always have conversations with myself, although answering how other people would so I don't seem stupid in social situations, and I always plan out my day in my head before doing anything
Old 03-03-2007, 05:17 AM   #10
Valerius

When I was young I used to place my white mice on the back of my RC pick-up truck and drive it around our drive way. I did that until one time the truck flipped over and smooshed the mouse.

I also used to steal my classmates' hankies when I was in grade 2. >.>; No, I don't steal nowadays in case you're wondering.

Nowadays I tend to stare into open space with wide eyes when I'm deep in thought, I tend arrange the weights in the gym at uni nonstop until they're all in the place they should be, I tend to laugh at other people's misery and I like putting my mom's chihuahua in drawers and cabinets. I also have a tendency to do things I shouldn't be doing.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:39 AM   #11
Minyaliel

As a child, I always started laughing when somebody hurt themselves. I didn't really want to, but I just couldn't help myself.

As everyone refers to me as nutty nowadays, I don't think I will need to write up the list (as it would be huge).
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:05 AM   #12
Underwater Ophelia

I like to cross-dress and role play with my boyfriend that we're the opposite gender.
I don't shave my armpits. Some people think it's weird, but my boyfriend and I really like it.
When I'm out in the woods, I like to touch everything. Leaves, the dirt, bark--I just like to touch everything. And breathe everything.

These things aren't that odd, they're just idiosyncrasies.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:25 AM   #13
maggot

Living in a suburb where we're at least forty percent Jew, people think it's quite odd, and even Nazi-esque that I'm teaching myself German, and don't agree with Israel bombing the holy fuck out of Lebanese civilians. [There's actually a group called something like Jews Against Israel for this.]
Old 03-03-2007, 07:28 AM   #14
Underwater Ophelia

Wait, why are they bombing civilians? I'm really out of the political loop, I guess, is this happening now, or in the past?
Old 03-03-2007, 08:08 AM   #15
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
I don't shave my armpits. Some people think it's weird, but my boyfriend and I really like it.
Hey, Amanda Palmer (Dresden Dolls vocalist/pianist) doesn't either, so don't feel too bad!
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #16
Underwater Ophelia

YEAH! I saw it in concert and we both thought she looked so beautiful with it, so as an experiment I tried it and we both love it. I personally really love armpit, pubic, and leg hair. (Though I do shave my legs because I love stockings and stockings+leg hair=crap.)
Old 03-03-2007, 08:13 AM   #17
maggot

I hate the Dresden Dolls. xD

All the wannabe artsy kids/wannabe goth kids here love them, though, so I guess they're the gothiest people ever.

It's in the past. Does Hezbollah ring a bell?
Old 03-03-2007, 08:49 AM   #18
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
I hate the Dresden Dolls. xD

All the wannabe artsy kids/wannabe goth kids here love them, though, so I guess they're the gothiest people ever.

It's in the past. Does Hezbollah ring a bell?
I didn't think they were a baby bats' band. They showed up on Fuse's TRL or whatever one time, but that's as mainstream as they've ever been, to my knowledge.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #19
Underwater Ophelia

I didn't think they were all too mainstream either, but I don't really care. It usually doesn't really bother me when a band I like is mainstream, I like them for the music, or I don't.

And no, it doesn't...I've never been too good with Middle Eastern politics or history.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:37 AM   #20
Delicate_Torture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.wes straker
Today at work I was telling some colleagues that when I was younger I used to play with dolls and pretend I was their god. They told me it was odd, even scary. I don't get it. I'm determined to find at least one other person who played that way as a child.

-Kidnapping fantasies.

A lot of children play that way, actually. It's often a way that they work out feeling like they have no control over their own environment.

And seriously, who wouldn't get turned on by being slapped...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alshio
- When I'm making a list in my head (ie: 'I have to make my bed, wash the dishes and dust') instead of 'I', I always think 'we.'
I don't really think 'we' when I'm thinking of things, but I often refer to myself as 'we' - we tend to do this because others find it annoying, and we really like annoying others at times. Heh. There are times when I don't realise that I do it, though... like if I'm talking about a film or music I will say "We enjoyed that one."
Old 03-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #21
KontanKarite

When I have time and a reason, I shave my armpits and legs and all other lower regions. I hate body hair. I don't really hate it so much on girls or others, just on me.

Sometimes I get lost in thought and speak aloud in a very poetic manner. Then people think it's weird and brilliant. I also like to get everyone used to seeing me all gothed out and bust out a college yuppy look just to confuse people. Lately, I've been trying to mix the two into some kind of sick weird hybrid.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:09 AM   #22
Cyntrox

I occasionally bark at my dog...
Old 03-03-2007, 10:19 AM   #23
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I cuss and swear in the shower while shampooing my hair, it is my therapy, so I don't swear at idiots I come across during the day. My wife thinks me very strange.

"F*cking sonofabitch $hithead bastard! #!@&*!
Sidewinding, claimjumping bedwetter!"

And so on and so forth for about 5 minutes. Then the rest of the day I am a nice guy.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:36 AM   #24
maggot

Drac, they're a boston band, so everyone here knows them. They've become a babybat band here.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #25
theradicalviper

hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.wes straker

-Kidnapping fantasies.

i didnt like playing god but i liked playing hitler...

i would line up my transformers/beast wars action figures and then choose two to be the leader of each team and then when everyone had died the leaders would have a "dramatic" battle (the villain always won)
theradicalviper is offline   Reply With Quote