Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #1
Topgun505

Use of chainmail?

One of my friends recently saw some of the things I made and suggested I post my site amongst the Goth crowd. I currently do custom made chainmail jewelry and accessories. I'm not really goth myself but I just wondered how much (if any) chainmail is used in the general Gothic wardrobe? If you want to check out some of my creations check my profile and head to my home page.
Topgun505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
raggedyanne

Sometimes I use it as accent pieces or for fun. Post some of your pics. please. We'd love to see them.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:51 PM   #3
Nevan

I don't see a link in your profile?

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
thedoll

do you make chainmail jewlery? Like would you do custom make necklace?

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
gothicusmaximus

I would so wear a chainmail vest everywhere. You never know when someone's going to attack you with a morning star.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
I would so wear a chainmail vest everywhere. You never know when someone's going to attack you with a morning star.
The chainmail wouldn't help too much. The morningstar would still shatter your ribs, it just wouldn't imbed itself in your squishy bits.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
delicti

It's not entirely common as whole pieces themselves, but it can be used as a good base for a nice beadwork necklace or choker. (I make maille as well)

You may want to make some 4 or 6-wide belts, and use them to hang coins and noisemakers off of for "gothic" belly dance types, they seem to go for things like that.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
Miss Cogs

I would wear chainmail as a necklace or choker as well. I can never picture myself wearing a complete outfit or include a vest of chainmail in my outfit. Though I think it's interesting how they have models pose in chainmail on some websites. Kinda of provacative, eh? o_o

Which has led me to think if chainmail is used for those sorta of things or not.
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
Mistress Lilith

I think that it can be done, if used appropriately and in small amounts. It's just when you get into the realm of whole outfits that you start to look tacky/ridiculous. Unless you are attending a renaissance festival; then anything goes.
Mistress Lilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:02 PM   #10
badteccy

This is just my opinion and shit, but I find chainmail to be incredibly nerdy.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by badteccy
Yeah, I find it nerdy in a way as well. When I see chainmail I think of knights.

I laughed at your signature. XD
Old 09-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #12
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Chainmail makes me think of that really bad Dragonheart movie that I loved when I was a kid and had no taste.

And badteccy, I agree with Miss Cogs about your signature. It's hillarious.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:43 AM   #13
Your Darkest Secret

I saw this awesome chainmail skirt in Camden a while back. I'm heading up there later this month, and if I see that damn skirt again I'll buy it!
Your Darkest Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #14
honeythorn

Chainmail would go with my swords...but I am not allowed to take them outside for fear of the constabulary.....

I think a choker would be quite nice though, and sort of imply that I have swords without me having to be detained by armed police.

*edit * No, I would not actually go out wearing chainmail and carrying a sword...unless there was a war on chavs.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #15
bleedingheart344

World War III-The war on chavs. I do like the cainmail pieces, though. Good stuff.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #16
badteccy

You can thank SA's weekend web for my siggy.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #17
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by badteccy
OK, I admit it, it totally is. But in a nerd-that-could-kick-your-ass kind of way. Well, it's armor, so maybe in a nerd-whose-ass-is-really-really-hard-to-kick kind of way instead. :-D
Old 09-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #18
msr.iaidoka

Hello all,

I also tinker with chainmaille weaving. I tend to wear a chain on my pocket watch and I used to wear a spiral weave necklace. I have also made a permanent spiral bracelet for a friend of mine. I have seen plenty of maille in the public sector that just blends in so it is totally feasible. There are, of course, plenty of examples of extravagant maille that make the general public nervous.

Counting the scars from slipandjabs,

Matt
msr.iaidoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #19
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by msr.iaidoka
Hello all,

I also tinker with chainmaille weaving. I tend to wear a chain on my pocket watch and I used to wear a spiral weave necklace. I have also made a permanent spiral bracelet for a friend of mine. I have seen plenty of maille in the public sector that just blends in so it is totally feasible. There are, of course, plenty of examples of extravagant maille that make the general public nervous.

Counting the scars from slipandjabs,

Matt
It must be hard to weave chain because it would lock, is the word I'm thinking, all the time, wouldn't it?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #20
msr.iaidoka

Miss Cogs,

I do not quite follow what you mean. Do you mean taking lengths of chain and weaving them as if they were strips of fabric?

Wishing I had my pliers with me,

Matt
Old 09-06-2007, 09:44 PM   #21
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Miss Cogs,

I do not quite follow what you mean. Do you mean taking lengths of chain and weaving them as if they were strips of fabric?

Wishing I had my pliers with me,

Matt

Forgive me, sometimes I can be confusing. ><

I'm not really sure how chain is weaved together, so I wouldn't know if it would be difficult or not.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:48 PM   #22
msr.iaidoka

Miss Cogs,

No problem. The use of the word "weaving" does not mean that lengths of chains are woven together. What it means is that individual rings are interlocked into patterns, making either chains or sheets. It is hard to explain without a visual example. The URL in my profile leads to my artisan page and should give you some examples of what I mean. Feel free to ask any questions you wish, I could talk shop for hours.

Toying with my chainmaille key fob,

Matt
Old 09-06-2007, 09:57 PM   #23
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Miss Cogs,

No problem. The use of the word "weaving" does not mean that lengths of chains are woven together. What it means is that individual rings are interlocked into patterns, making either chains or sheets. It is hard to explain without a visual example. The URL in my profile leads to my artisan page and should give you some examples of what I mean. Feel free to ask any questions you wish, I could talk shop for hours.

Toying with my chainmaille key fob,

Matt
Thank you for explaining it to me, I now have a better understanding now. I will look around there as well and if I have any questions, I'll be sure to ask you.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:40 PM   #24
raggedyanne

Does anyone have a link to somewhere where I could buy chainmail chokers?
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:51 PM   #25
msr.iaidoka

raggedyanne,

If you like pure silver, and can afford it, www.spiderchain.com would be a great place to look.
Aside from that, contacting an individual weaver on www.mailleartisans.org would also work.
If neither one of those options appeals to you, you could always commission either myself or one of the other weavers on this forum.

No outfit is complete without chainmaille,

Matt