Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
insolitus_noir

the questionnaire of doom strikes again!

Greetings. I'm new around these here parts and, as per the custom, I'm offering my own answers to the Big 14...

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)

I’m a writer; staff writer for Morbid Outlook, film/theatre/art critic and columnist for The Front Page Online, marketing coordinator for an architecture firm, wedding ceremony writer/officiant. Hobbies include archery, camping, traveling, walks along the beach, movies, reading, hanging out...just to name a few.

My current writing project is an article for Morbid Outlook on goths and politics, for which I’m in the process of gathering data.

2. Where are you from?
Originally, Canada. I’ve lived in Los Angeles for 8 years.

3. Who is your favorite author?
I read a lot, so it’s hard to pick a favourite. And these days I tend to read more non-fiction than fiction. But I always enjoy Lewis Carroll, Arthur C. Clarke, Tim Powers, L.E. Modesitt Jr., Charless Sheffield, and others. Poetry-wise, I love Tennyson, Plath, Sexton, and Hejduk. I’m currently reading Against Happpiness by Eric G. Wilson and refreshing my Nietzsche with Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

4. What are your favorite films?
The list is long, but includes The Winter Guest, Dead Man, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Fountain, The Ninth Configuration.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
We walked down the aisle to an excerpt from Henry Purcell’s The Fairy Queen.

6. At your funeral?
Schubert’s Death and the Maiden, or perhaps something from Dead Can Dance. Oh, heck, why stop there? Both! And maybe some Sisters thrown in for that extra je-ne-sais-quoi.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
In sight of the snows of Kilimanjaro, afflicted by memories…well, maybe not. I would like to die quietly.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
An urn in the shape of a chamber-pot or the holy hand grenade of Antioch. Kidding. I’d like a humble oak casket buried next to a big, leafy tree. If I end up choosing the final burn, I’m actually not sure what I’d want done with my ashes.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
Ensembles that include my brocaded Edwardian frock coat or a velvety vest with heavy-duty metal clasps. Both are black, of course.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
Not having to worry about bills, taxes, politics and the various other burdens – I mean, responsibilities – that come with being all grown up.

11. What's your favorite band?
I definitely can’t pick a favourite band out of all the bands I listen to. I love the classics – I don’t need to mention them, right? – as well as contemporary talents like Cinema Strange, VNV Nation, Autumn, Arc Gotic, The Prids, and so on. I recently discovered, to my great listening pleasure, The Lost Patrol and Hannah Fury.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
I have a bachelor’s degree in psychology. This means I can BS with the best of them and sound like I know what I’m talking about.

13. Why did you join?
To reach out to like-minded folk.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Male.
insolitus_noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
JCC

I like you.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Xombie

Seconded. :]
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
ionic_angel

Thirded. How old are you, BTW?
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
insolitus_noir

Thanks, everyone! Glad to meetcha!

And to answer your question, ionic_angel, I'm well past spring chicken but mercifully far from decrepit. This means I'm 31.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
Lolly PopMuzik

Ah, ze Strange...
Old 04-24-2008, 07:07 AM   #7
Apathy's_Child

Awesome taste in pretty much everything. Welcome.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
insolitus_noir

thanks!

I guess the subject line says it all. Thanks for the welcome!
Old 04-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
Corpsey

Indeed.

Just please define 'recreational nihilist' and what a recreational nihilist does. This phrase just intrigues me.

Also, what field in psychology do you specialize in? I'm interested in it but my knowledge is limited to what the medical side of my family has taught.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
††BlackRose††

Welcome to the boards!!!

You seem interesting. I did a project that involved nihilism for philosophy. Man that class seriously screws with your head. lol.

Enjoy your stay!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #11
insolitus_noir

Thanks for the welcome, BlackRose and Corpsey. I appreciate it!

Yeah, nihilism and existentialist philosophy can be quite the head trip. But that's why it's so fun, right? Which brings me to the short answer to Corpsey's question. "Recreational nihilist" is more of a philosophical joke than anything else; someone who indulges nihilism on a recreational basis, like a recreational drinker or drug user. I suppose a recreational nihilist wouldn't actually *do* anything, as that would defeat the purpose of being a nihilist.

As to Corpsey's other question, if I had continued on with my psychology studies, I would have avoided clinical practice and gone into research instead. One of my favourite upper-level classes involved understanding neural network models of the brain, leading to an interesting project in which I modeled mental object rotation...well, no need to get into that. The point is that I became quite disillusioned with both university and psychology, decided that many of the issues that interested me in psychology were philosophical in nature, blew my chance to study philosophy beyond my electives, and ended up doing something quite different (read: not involving psychology or science) than what I had originally envisioned.

What has the medical side of your family taught you? What field of psychology interests you?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #12
blackwater1110

Dear insolitus,

Your are officially an awesome person. I intend to make friends with you, so be forewarned.

Q: What did the recreational existentialist do?
A: Asked himself what he was going to do all day.

Q: What did the recreational nihilist do?
A: Nothing.

I heard of a book that was published just last year full of philosophical jokes that are way better than the ones I just came up with. I can't remember the title, but if you're interested, I could be bothered to find it again.

Speaking of books, I read your posts about the book you've written. It sounds a lot like I'd like my eulogy to sound. If you need a(nother) test reader, I'm your man.
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
insolitus_noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater1110
Dear insolitus,

Your are officially an awesome person. I intend to make friends with you, so be forewarned.
It's official? Yes! And here I thought the paperwork would NEVER get through. Seriously, though, thanks. I checked out your answers to the questionnaire, and you seem rather spiffy yourself. We'll get along just fine.

Quote:
Speaking of books, I read your posts about the book you've written. It sounds a lot like I'd like my eulogy to sound. If you need a(nother) test reader, I'm your man.
Hmm. I'm in the middle of a round of edits, but it probably wouldn't hurt to have another test reader. And I surely can't deny your enthusiasm! So yes, I'd love to get your feedback. The manuscript is about 400+ pages, though, and I can't print out a hardcopy. Are you okay with an electronic copy?
Old 05-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Dear insolitus,

Agreed. You are very welcome here!

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #15
insolitus_noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Horror
Agreed. You are very welcome here!
Thank you! Much appreciated!

A fellow Canuck, eh? How's Ottawa these days? It's been about three years since I visited my folks in Mississauga, during which time the missus and I took the opportunity to visit the capital. A lovely, but short, visit.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #16
Kristin

Welcome! Hee hee
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote