Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
DarkPrayer

Location: In a place covered in darkness but filled with only good people
How do you buy goth clothing if you have no money?

I'm only 15, so I have very little money. My parents buy a lot of my stuff but recently my Mom has gotten annoyed with my constant demands of goth clothing. I don't own a lot. So I guess my last resort is to make my own out of old clothes? Any suggestions? Or suggestions on how to make money?
DarkPrayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
LadyLucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPrayer
I'm only 15, so I have very little money. My parents buy a lot of my stuff but recently my Mom has gotten annoyed with my constant demands of goth clothing. I don't own a lot. So I guess my last resort is to make my own out of old clothes? Any suggestions? Or suggestions on how to make money?
Make your own stuff or shop at thrift stores.

As for making money - sell your body. That is how all teenagers earn their spending money.
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
viscus

Dee-eye-wye.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
Rorschach Twin

I face similar problems, because I like in the suburbs outside of Atlanta. They're really any goths around here, and the ones that say they are are just mansonites. I'm really not perceived as goth, and I don't really consider it of myself, but I usually wear darker clothes. Most of the clothes that I would call gothic that I own I've bought from clearance racks and thrift stores, ironically. I usually wear clothes deemed "indie", ironically, but usually pretty dark.

My advice is to not buy tripp pants unless they've minimal details and they're cheap. You could make a pair of black pants into bondage pants much easier.

But just search for DIY goth fashion on google, I've gotten a lot of tips.
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
viscus

Also, need I stress the point that goth is primarily about music, not fashion.

Furthermore, coming from punk, goth somewhat shares the punk notion of individuality. So the pursuit of fashion that's marketed as "goth" is kind of perverse.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
Draconysius

Yeah, if you're low on money, it's a good idea to make your own clothing. Buy a cheap black t-shirt and some fabric paint and paint something on it. Got any blue jeans you don't wear a lot? Dye them black. You don't have to spend a lot of money on your look, and you'll have a personal touch to your wardrobe. Here's a few things I've done.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1190/...0f6bae4d_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1120/...76affebf_o.jpg
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
badteccy

Hey, I didn't know you liked The Cramps!
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #8
Green.Lady

I'm impressed!
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
KontanKarite

You STILL look like a member of some gothic pit crew.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:40 PM   #10
Christina_Death1334

When I was 13-14 I used to buy loads of black clothes and sew crap onto them. Or go to a thrift store. Now, I usually buy stuff from department stores or what would be deemed 'preppy' stores. They have alot of basics and good stuff. I really dress rather plainly, but I'm always broke, so it's excusable. (Plus, when you walk into Steve and Barry's to get a black pea-coat it's fun to count how many people stare because you look out of place. But, I love that damned coat. <3 )
Christina_Death1334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:16 PM   #11
Blindness is Black

One of my friends is amazing with clothes--she collects buttons and pins and random bits of lace and ribbon and put them on her clothes. We're going to a convention where we can embellish our own clothing, and then sell or trade them to someone else.

I don't wear too much black anymore--I used to wear ALL black, so I kind of exhausted it...now my style changes day to day; somedays I dress feminine, and some I actually look like a guy. I have heels and boots and flats and Converse, and I like bright colors and cute hats. But I do own a lot of black graphic T's, and one beloved white one with Gir (from Invader Zim) screened onto it. I love that shirt.
Blindness is Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:19 PM   #12
Christina_Death1334

I love my black turtlenecks!! And you can find those for twenty-something bucks at department stores! Don't be afraid to walk into places that don't sell Goth clothes! I live in a small town and drive for about 45 minutes to get to the mall. And the most Goth place there is Hot Topic (which got really bad). Be fearless in your shopping!!
Christina_Death1334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #13
Underwater Ophelia

You could always just get a job, too. Some places will hire a 15 year old if you get a work permit.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #14
MidnightBanshee13

I shop at teen resale shops and find some really cool stuff. For example, today, I bought a Nightmare Before Christmas sweatshirt for about eight bucks!
MidnightBanshee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #15
DarkPrayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
Also, need I stress the point that goth is primarily about music, not fashion.

Furthermore, coming from punk, goth somewhat shares the punk notion of individuality. So the pursuit of fashion that's marketed as "goth" is kind of perverse.
I know. Music is a big part of goth and I understand that. I have noticed that gothic clothing seems to be somewhat, not goth. It's what most people would imagin as goth. Chains, black and white striped tights, black...black...black...and more black. However, I have never quite considered myself a true goth, nor have I gained the appreciation and passion for gothic music. I love the fashion, some music, and the whole dark romance behind it.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #16
DarkPrayer

Thanks for your ideas everyone. Most of them are really good.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #17
DarkPrayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach Twin
I'm really not perceived as goth, and I don't really consider it of myself, but I usually wear darker clothes.
That's the same with me, except I ALWAYS wear dark clothes. So does my Mom, now that I think about it.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #18
DeathToLems

il be honist with you here. before i got my "gothic" clothes and started dressing in dark clothes i started off small. i knew that i couldent go from dressing in blue jeans and polo-neck t-shirts to black and gothy in one day. i had to do it a bit at a time. so ppl would get use to the change gradualy. and since that day everyone seems to be alright with it.
so start off with dying your old jeans black.
then add a chain and wallet.
then a black top.
change your hair colour (if you want or are alowd)
do this over a period of about 4 months or so and ppl who see you day to day will get use to how you dress.

you can get black tops cheap nowerdays anyways. and just add some arm warmers or whatever and a goth-ish looking choker. simple
black jeans with the chain. simple
a long black coat from a charity shop (youll have to look around to find the type you want, dont forget to wash it!) you could sew on some black ribbons or lace somewhere and booya! you got an outfit.

if you get a job you can start saving for some better clothes but its always a charm when you find a unique piece in a charity shop or when you modify something to make it your own
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:32 PM   #19
silverbaal

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I can usually find clothes that will complement my personality at a variety of shops. Not all. But some. It's not about the clothes, it's about how you wear them. I have quite a few shirts, blazers and things that weren't purchased from stores specializing in subculture clothing. But the design, color, and overall style, (damask patterns are yummy) appeals to me all the same. But, if you want it straight from the source, Good Goth is actually pretty inexpensive. I buy from there and when i'm especially low on cash... like now... I go for the low prices. Which there are many on the site. Even for the boots. Which is awesome. I happen to be cheap most of the time, anyways. So i'd rather go for the inexpensive, if I can help it.
silverbaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:21 PM   #20
Rorschach Twin

My biggest tip for you is to not look like a total "mallgoth" as they say. I'd say not to get anything with huge details (ie, most things by Tripp NYC), and don't feel compelled to wear black all the time. I guarantee people will just call you an 'emo', and even though that really doesn't matter, it's just annoying.

I only dress in a style deemed "gothic" about once every week or two. I'm fine that way, but I'd probably do it more if I could find any better clothes.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:58 AM   #21
ForgetThisLostLenore

I just wear various black skirts (some are even from WalMart) and pair them with various stripey socks. I'm kind of stuck in a black rut now, because all my winter clothes are black. I'm going to Kohl's sometime to get a bunch of jewel tone long sleeved shirts. I try to wear a jewel toned shirt with my black, but I can wear all black and no one calls me emo. Maybe because I wear all black that ends up looking elegant in some way or another.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #22
Rorschach Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetThisLostLenore
I just wear various black skirts (some are even from WalMart) and pair them with various stripey socks. I'm kind of stuck in a black rut now, because all my winter clothes are black. I'm going to Kohl's sometime to get a bunch of jewel tone long sleeved shirts. I try to wear a jewel toned shirt with my black, but I can wear all black and no one calls me emo. Maybe because I wear all black that ends up looking elegant in some way or another.
Well, it's a bit different if you wear clothing finessed with elegance. It looks more like you know what you're doing, plus people are more likely to fear you, so they wouldn't lump you into a category like that =/. I know I'm stereotyping, but that's just from my experience.

I buy most of my clothing from Target, Goodwill, and selective things from Hot Topic.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #23
silverbaal

The best thing you probably can do is to sit down and research websites and find what you think is best for you before you go out and buy it. That's what I did when I first started dressing Goth. I knew I would probably just go for everything that is black if I just went out to the first Gothic store I came to. Sit down, go to different Gothic sites, and take note of different things you like; patterns, colors, cuts, etc...Be honest with yourself, even and especially if you notice that what you like doesn't all fit the Gothic or alternative stereotype. It'll be easier to go out and shop for things, not just similiar things, but anything that interest YOU. Deprogramming your mind from stereotypes, even Gothic stereotypes, is something you should learn to do cause it'll help you find your own look. Even if that look IS to dress is all black.

Happy hunting.
silverbaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:08 PM   #24
Saddiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
You could always just get a job, too. Some places will hire a 15 year old if you get a work permit.
Well according to a comment posted by DarkPrayer in a different thread, she claims to already have a part-time job. I understand why she doesn't have any money, though. Fictitious jobs don't pay well.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #25
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddiction
Well according to a comment posted by DarkPrayer in a different thread, she claims to already have a part-time job. I understand why she doesn't have any money, though. Fictitious jobs don't pay well.
HAH HAH HAH HAHAAHAHAHA!

I almost pissed myself.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote