Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
Corpsey

Pansexuality

I've recently been pondering this when I thought I understood it and now I don't seem to understand it at all. What's up with Pansexuality? Are there any here?

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Graveyard.Crow

I mostly identify myself as bisexual, however I can love someone who is neither female or male, transgendered or just confused. I don't know if that counts.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:00 PM   #3
Green.Lady

Bisexuality is reaching down someone's pants and being pleased with whatever you find. Pansexuality is not even thinking about that.

I'm not pansexual, though. I'm not so crazy about the men.
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:04 PM   #4
Graveyard.Crow

Haha you stole the first line from encyclopedia dramatica
But that's ok, the site is great.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:05 PM   #5
raggedyanne

My friend is pansexual. As a bisexual it was difficult for me to understand at first, but she seems content, so whatever.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:25 PM   #6
Corpsey

Still confused with what it actually is...

I understand the parts about disliking the social construct of Men and Women and accepting the biological differences, but I don't entirely understand it. What is the difference between Pansexual and Bisexual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green.lady
Bisexuality is reaching down someone's pants and being pleased with whatever you find. Pansexuality is not even thinking about that.
Interesting quote...

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:09 AM   #7
MaverickZero

Bisexuality makes me angry. There is not really anything such as bisexual... You're either "gay" or not. Do or Do not, there is no try.

People are so homophobic about themselves, they use the cliche "bisexual" to hide behind like a badge.

Every girl I have fucking met in college, or online defines herself as "bisexual" it's really getting old.

Experimenting once or twice doesn't count, and I doubt anyone knows the true meaning of bisexual. For you to be a "true" bisexual, you'd have to be in a relationship with two people. That's fine if you're morman...

If you are with a different sex, you're straight. Same sex, you're gay. There is no such thing as BI sexuality, unless of course you're being unfaithful.

Transsexual/Transgender is different, as this has to physically do with something, not just a preference.

I would assume Pansexual is another one of those badge phrases people use to avoid admitting something they believe to be hurtful to their reputations.

IMO, "Bisexuals" are non-existant. Fair-weather gay I'd rather document those as. It's selfish, childish, and shows there is a great deal of maturing to be done.
MaverickZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:25 AM   #8
silverbaal

I don't believe in gender confusion. It's all a product of the media. Society and the media makes up its mind as to what it wants to see from each group of people, even subconsciously. In this case, it's gender. And if you don't fit that stereotype, you're confused. It's idiotic. But... *shrugs*. People have their ways...

I don't believe that it's impossible to have the mentality that enables you to have feelings for both sexes, either. Whether it's called being "bi" "pan" or whatever. Just because there isn't an exact name for it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You don't need an exact science to be who you are.

This reminds me of a quote from Chasing Amy:

(Alyssa) You know, I didn't just heed what I was taught, men and women should be together, it's the natural way, that kind of thing. I'm not with you because of what family, society, life tried to instill in me from day one. The way the world is, how seldom it is that you meet that one person who just *gets* you - it's so rare. My parents didn't really have it. There were no examples set for me in the world of male-female relationships. And to cut oneself off from finding that person, to immediately halve your options by eliminating the possibility of finding that one person within your own gender, that just seemed stupid to me. So I didn't. But then you came along. You, the one least likely. I mean, you were a guy.
silverbaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:39 AM   #9
silverbaal

I'm not stating my opinion as fact, since, either way, pan, bi, straight, or gay, people are going to have very strong opinions about their own selves. Which they should. But...I think all people are bisexual. Meaning... I believe all people have it within them to love any person of any gender, or, in some cases, without a gender. Some just don't exercise it. It does seem very limiting. But there's nothing wrong with it, I guess. Some people gravitate more towards extremes simply because they want to. Others are more liberal about their lives. We're all different. It's a fact of life.
silverbaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:45 AM   #10
spoon!

silverbaal +1
spoon! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:27 AM   #11
Green.Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
Haha you stole the first line from encyclopedia dramatica
But that's ok, the site is great.
Oh, I actually heard that one from a friend, but yes, that site is fantastic. As they say, "In lulz we trust."

I don't know about bisexuals. I find that a whole lot of gay and straight people don't believe any or at least most bisexuals. I know bi people who have been closeted homosexuals. I, myself, have actually done this, I am ashamed to say.

I also know about fifteen billion bi people who make out with the same sex (guys and girls) and then go have loving relationships with the opposite sex. It makes you go "hmmm," for lack of a better word. If someone was truly bisexual they would consider marrying someone of either gender and not leave the relationships to one gender and the experimentation to another. I have yet to meet someone like this in person.
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:31 AM   #12
MaverickZero

I honestly think the term Bisexual gets thrown around too much. You're either straight or gay, or in the case of a bisexual, cheating.

You can like boys or girls, but you SHOULD only be with one person at a time. In that point in time, you would either be gay or straight. Pretty straight forward.

People are just SO AFRAID of being branded one or the other, so they claim to be "Bi" which is complete nonsense... and I really do lose respect for those who do so.

It's one thing to be PROUD of who and WHAT you are, it's another thing to beat around the bush about it.

True Bisexuality doesn't exist, and the fact it's a sexual preference is laughable. It's the new label for teens, and it's a popular phase, not to mention it seems to be a staple for "goth" people and the like.

It's not a true personality trait and way of life, it's an adopted label and badge that people hide behind with the safety of not being considered gay, because we ALL know how HORRIBLE gay people are.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:58 AM   #13
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickZero
I honestly think the term Bisexual gets thrown around too much. You're either straight or gay, or in the case of a bisexual, cheating.

You can like boys or girls, but you SHOULD only be with one person at a time. In that point in time, you would either be gay or straight. Pretty straight forward.

People are just SO AFRAID of being branded one or the other, so they claim to be "Bi" which is complete nonsense... and I really do lose respect for those who do so.

It's one thing to be PROUD of who and WHAT you are, it's another thing to beat around the bush about it.

True Bisexuality doesn't exist, and the fact it's a sexual preference is laughable. It's the new label for teens, and it's a popular phase, not to mention it seems to be a staple for "goth" people and the like.

It's not a true personality trait and way of life, it's an adopted label and badge that people hide behind with the safety of not being considered gay, because we ALL know how HORRIBLE gay people are.
Well you're a complete asshole who knows nothing, aren't you?

Yes, the term "bisexual" is used by people too often to try to cover up being gay, or to appear more attractive, but that isn't the fault of real bisexuals, and you're an idiot if you think people who don't know what they're talking about negate the existence of people who do.

What's more, to express your sexuality you don't have to be with someone. You said that if someone is with a same sex partner, they're gay, and if they're with the opposite, they're straight. That's just genius! Wait, no it isn't, it's completely asinine. By that logic, if you don't have a boyfriend or a girlfriend, you're neither straight nor gay? No, you just don't happen to be with someone at the moment.

Bisexuals aren't people who've "experimented" and they aren't people who just lie for attention. A bisexual has interest in both sexes, both sexually and romantically, and true bisexuals often don't disclose that information in public, because of jerk-offs like you who know nothing about the situation, but shoot your mouth off anyway.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:05 AM   #14
MaverickZero

Sorry to touch a nerve of someone who calls themself Bisexual. Sorry you don't have the backbone to actually make a choice in your life that carries consequence.

Grow the fuck up.

There is no such thing as Bisexual, as much as you'd LOVE to think there is. Keep thinking it.

It's an excuse for narrow minded morons, like you, to piss and moan about nobody understanding, and makes you that much better than everyone else.

Get off the wagon already, Bisexuality doesn't exist, if you can't handle that, it's too fucking bad.

For those who aren't in a relationship, it's fair to assume they could go either way. I'm an avid believer that love comes from anywhere. Now, not to say I find it in men myself, but that's not something I've come across, ever.

Just because someone claims to like girls and boys, doesn't make them bisexual. It doesn't require a lifestyle change, it doesn't require any real effort. It is just, "Oh, I'm Bisexual". Big fucking deal. It's an excuse to be immature and indecisive.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #15
MaverickZero

And for the record, studying psychology and how things work really helps on the knowledge of the situations. People talk about bisexuality, women at least. It seems to be the easiest thing for them to bring up. Notice how it's more difficult for a man to be bisexual? For some reason it's a stronger stigma for the male than it is for females. Another reason why Bisexuality is a joke.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #16
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Sorry to touch a nerve of someone who calls themself Bisexual. Sorry you don't have the backbone to actually make a choice in your life that carries consequence.

Grow the fuck up.

There is no such thing as Bisexual, as much as you'd LOVE to think there is. Keep thinking it.

It's an excuse for narrow minded morons, like you, to piss and moan about nobody understanding, and makes you that much better than everyone else.

Get off the wagon already, Bisexuality doesn't exist, if you can't handle that, it's too fucking bad.

For those who aren't in a relationship, it's fair to assume they could go either way. I'm an avid believer that love comes from anywhere. Now, not to say I find it in men myself, but that's not something I've come across, ever.

Just because someone claims to like girls and boys, doesn't make them bisexual. It doesn't require a lifestyle change, it doesn't require any real effort. It is just, "Oh, I'm Bisexual". Big fucking deal. It's an excuse to be immature and indecisive.
Ok, I'm not even responding to this. From now on, I can't possibly take anything you say seriously, because this is far too dis-jointed and uses no basis. Don't even respond to this if you don't want to, because I just can't handle talking to people whose minds work this way.

Everyone is reading this crap, right? Please tell me I'm not the insane one?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #17
MaverickZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Ok, I'm not even responding to this.

Everyone is reading this crap, right? Please tell me I'm not the insane one?
Because you know I'm making a valid point, and can't argue it?

I know plenty of people who share my view, gay and straight alike. Just because you can't wrap it around your brain, doesn't mean intelligent people can't.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:57 AM   #18
viscus

Sexuality is not defined by behavior, it's defined by what one is attracted to, what turns them on. People can and do engage in sexual acts with ulterior motives.

I'm not going to be so glib as to say bisexuality doesn't exist. I think everyone is "bi-curious" at one time or another. Most people think about it and decide that they're straight, some figure out that they're gay, and a few remain undecided. And that's fine.

However, I can kind of see where Maverick is coming from. With the number of goth girls (practically all of them) proclaiming to be bisexual, one has to question their sincerity.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:01 AM   #19
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
Sexuality is not defined by behavior, it's defined by what one is attracted to, what turns them on. People can and do engage in sexual acts with ulterior motives.

I'm not going to be so glib as to say bisexuality doesn't exist. I think everyone is "bi-curious" at one time or another. Most people think about it and decide that they're straight, some figure out that they're gay, and a few remain undecided. And that's fine.

However, I can kind of see where Maverick is coming from. With the number of goth girls (practically all of them) proclaiming to be bisexual, one has to question their sincerity.
I completely agree. I also question their sincerity. However, I'm not so stupid as to use a few examples to make a claim about an entire group.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #20
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Because you know I'm making a valid point, and can't argue it?

I know plenty of people who share my view, gay and straight alike. Just because you can't wrap it around your brain, doesn't mean intelligent people can't.
Don't talk about intelligence when even your basic grammar is faulty.

And I could argue my point (though what you said implied YOU couldn't argue your own point), I'm just not going to sit here and argue with someone who's so sure of himself.

I don't feel the need to defend myself from people on the internet.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:08 AM   #21
MaverickZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Don't talk about intelligence when even your basic grammar is faulty.

And I could argue my point (though what you said implied YOU couldn't argue your own point), I'm just not going to sit here and argue with someone who's so sure of himself.

I don't feel the need to defend myself from people on the internet.
Oooh Grammar police.

Fuck off. If that's your only point, then BRAVO!

I type how I would talk in conversation, not like I'm typing a grade 12 english exam.

You couldn't argue your point, that's why you've degraded to petty grammar insults. Maybe you wouldn't have to defend yourself from people if you weren't so ignorant.

As vicious said, people DECIDE.

Why would you consider a sexual preference that of indecision? That's ludicrous in my opinion. Indecision is a sign of immaturity. Plain and simple.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #22
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Oooh Grammar police.

Fuck off. If that's your only point, then BRAVO!

I type how I would talk in conversation, not like I'm typing a grade 12 english exam.

You couldn't argue your point, that's why you've degraded to petty grammar insults. Maybe you wouldn't have to defend yourself from people if you weren't so ignorant.

As vicious said, people DECIDE.

Why would you consider a sexual preference that of indecision? That's ludicrous in my opinion. Indecision is a sign of immaturity. Plain and simple.
Why should people have to decide? You've probably dated both blondes and brunettes. Maybe even black women and white women.
For some, gender is the same. Some people look deeper than anything physical, be it hair colour, breast size, or even gender.

Should people have to decide if they want to date only blondes? If they sometimes like blondes and sometimes brunettes, are they immature?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #23
MaverickZero

That's far more insignificant than sexual preference, and all you're doing is making excuses.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #24
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
That's far more insignificant than sexual preference, and all you're doing is making excuses.
How is that an excuse? It's not an excuse, it's a comparison. And what makes it more insignificant? Your saying so?

Let's leave it at this: If you want to just date women, or just date men, I don't care, it's your business. However, I'm gonna date anyone I want, and enjoy both men and women based on their character, not their bodies. If you think that makes me immature, so be it. I'm not really concerned with whether or not MaverickZero from Gothic.net thinks I'm mature.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:32 AM   #25
TopHaggardDoll

I agree with Underwater Ophelia.

Bisexuality DOES exist.

Love and attraction isn't just based on gender, it's about the person as a whole.
So it's perfectly feasable for bisexuality to exist.
That is NOT immature. Immaturity is dating women/men for shallow reasons. If you can't see that, then you're a fool.