Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #51
Extraordinary

His big red rubber nose.

Plus his wacky and brainless conclusion above.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #52
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary
His big red rubber nose.

Plus his wacky and brainless conclusion above.
Yeah, but why is it wacky and brainless?

People who are straight edge are people who can't enjoy alcohol responsibly. Tar it with any other brush, that's what it is. I've never been drunk in my life. Does that mean I should stop drinking whisky? No, whisky tastes good to me.

If you don't like alcohol, fine, but it's prevalent in straight edge, in the lyrics of Minor Threat to the babblings of sXe punks, that they get all pissy when other people do.

Straight edge represents to me a culture of people who've never heard of moderation trying to enforce their chastity on others.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #53
Godslayer Jillian

There's a degree of honor in self-privation, albeit being too puritan.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #54
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
There's a degree of honor in self-privation, albeit being too puritan.
It doesn't fit with my beliefs. You get one life, in that life you should experience all you wish to experience, all that is available to be experienced, and live your life to the full.

Self-privation to me is the waste of what you have.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #55
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I used to be into smoking and drinking. I have never done drugs though. I'm sober now, I don't even smoke. Right now I'm even on a diet. I do however eat meat and have sex with my boyfriend and girlfriend.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #56
Extraordinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Yeah, but why is it wacky and brainless?

People who are straight edge are people who can't enjoy alcohol responsibly. Tar it with any other brush, that's what it is.

Straight edge represents to me a culture of people who've never heard of moderation trying to enforce their chastity on others.
Wow, see, that's the clowny part right there. First of all, how in the hell can you seriously tell me that every person who chooses not to use drugs or alcohol refrains because they can't enjoy it "responsibly"? lol, fuck that. By the way, since when does anybody -- these days -- care about whether or not they're responsible when drunk? Seems to me that more people use drunkenness as an excuse, because they enjoy being instinctive and decadent, and the reminder that "I was drunk" is enough to dismiss any guilt they might feel afterward. You just told me you've never been drunk, and you only drink it because you like the taste. Well, maybe I don't drink it solely because I don't like the taste. I guess you didn't think of that one.

That's unbelievable to me that you're trying to make a wide-ass presumption of a lot of people on something they DO NOT do.

Maybe highschool is different these days or something, but I have never heard somebody brag about being "straight edge" proudly like it was some kind of identity that was superior to not being straight edge. It always came across as something people were private about because they were almost ashamed of it.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #57
JCC

Quote:
Wow, see, that's the clowny part right there. First of all, how in the hell can you seriously tell me that every person who chooses not to use drugs or alcohol refrains because they can't enjoy it "responsibly"?
I'm not saying everyone does. It's mainly what straight edge is though. "Blah blah, fuck getting drunk, I DON'T WANNA SPEND MY TIME WITH THE LIVING DEAD NO, DOO DOO DOO DOO, I'VE GONE STRAIGHT EDGE, DOO DOO DOO DOO " as if these people haven't heard of just having a drink.

Quote:
By the way, since when does anybody -- these days -- care about whether or not they're responsible when drunk? Seems to me that more people use drunkenness as an excuse, because they enjoy being instinctive and decadent, and the reminder that "I was drunk" is enough to dismiss any guilt they might feel afterward.
There's the bullshit! All this crap with straight edge about everyone who drinks alcohol getting drunk and being generally fuckwits. That elitist crap. Most of the best literary figures of the 20th century were chain smokers and heavy drinkers.

Quote:
You just told me you've never been drunk, and you only drink it because you like the taste. Well, maybe I don't drink it solely because I don't like the taste. I guess you didn't think of that one.
Yes I did, that's not straight edge. Straight edge is disagreeing with the use of things such as alcohol, drugs or cigarettes. Not liking alcohol isn't disagreeing with it, in the same way that I don't proclaim myself Straight Edge because I refuse to eat cheese. I don't like cheese, it's not a lifestyle choice, it's a "Goddamn, that tastes like the black plague, fuck that" choice.

Quote:
That's unbelievable to me that you're trying to make a wide-ass presumption of a lot of people on something they DO NOT do.
And you're not presuming?

Quote:
Maybe highschool is different these days or something, but I have never heard somebody brag about being "straight edge" proudly like it was some kind of identity that was superior to not being straight edge. It always came across as something people were private about because they were almost ashamed of it.
Yes, that's why you're in here parading about how you can hardly talk to people who intake alcohol and how all people who aren't straight edge are decadent losers who blame their stupidity on ethanol. It's an elitist bullshit culture if there ever was one.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #58
gothicusmaximus

I'd like to interject with the contention that there is something wrong with JCC's taste buds. Whiskey is generally vile and cheese is generally awesome.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #59
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
I'd like to interject with the contention that there is something wrong with JCC's taste buds. Whiskey is generally vile and cheese is generally awesome.
Cheese is the plague of man.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #60
Extraordinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Yes, that's why you're in here parading about how you can hardly talk to people who intake alcohol and how all people who aren't straight edge are decadent losers who blame their stupidity on ethanol. It's an elitist bullshit culture if there ever was one.
First of all, I would never call myself "straight edge", and in fact, according to you I don't even really know what it is (thankfully). When I said I can barely associate with people who drink, I wasn't speaking for "the straight edge culture", I was speaking for myself there. I have no idea about "sXe" or corny punk bands or anything like that. How in the hell NOT drinking alcohol is a "culture" or a "lifestyle", well, I don't get that, but it sounds like you know more about "sxe" than I do so I'm not going to argue.

Admittedly, this is all totally new to me. I had no idea other people were actually disgusted by others drinking alcohol. I've never met one. But, I do understand it: since hitting the legal drinking age it seems about 90% of all social activities involve alcohol, it's just a matter of to what degree, and that goes for everything from dining to miniature golf. Is it any wonder why these straight edge people you're talking about are annoyed? It's interesting that you said about people being the living dead, because I have felt like that plenty of times. Especially when my friends would eat handfuls of Coricidins and were on another planet. I was a little, uh, lonely. Clearly there's truth to it.

Straight edge bullshit aside, let's get personal for a second: I hate to be yet another person to tell you this, but many, many people do drink alcohol for the physical effects, if not to be completely intoxicated, then to be relaxed. Don't tell me you've never craved a drink when you were under stress. And I'm not even going to ask you to comment on whether or not there are people who drink to get drunk: They fill the world, and yes, they do disgust me, and yes, I do think I'm better than them if for no other reason than that I know they do not have the discipline to resist it every time. Maybe that's you, maybe it's not. The primary reason I don't touch alcohol is because I want to be as disassociated from that "culture" as I can be -- not because I want to be a part of some opposing one. I don't like to be around people who are drinking, but I don't brag about abstinence. If anybody were to ever think they had something over on me because they DO drink alcohol, then yeah, it's going to piss me off a little bit that they think they're above me simply because that they willingly get inebriated. But after hearing all this, I sure as hell don't want to be called "straight edge" either.

Wow, I just remembered something, this is weird. I haven't met many punks in my life, but I had a friend who knew this very punk kid, and out of amazement, the friend was explaining to the punk that I don't drink alcohol or smoke weed or anything. They were standing in the next room and I think the punk kid then asked him if I have sex, lol. I guess that kind of fits in with the earlier posts here, maybe this is what he thought I was?
Old 06-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #61
I Am Great.

I am a heavy drinker and am only off drugs due to a court order.
I Am Great. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #62
badteccy

I could never be straight edge. I love beer and I love cigarettes...I also love sexington.
I do avoid meat like the plague, though.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #63
badteccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying_Crimson_Tears
boyfriend and girlfriend.
Yea, good luck when that comes crashing down.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #64
Crying_Crimson_Tears

They both love it so it's all good.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #65
Extraordinary

So...do you feel like a whore or do you just appear as one?
Old 06-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #66
Underwater Ophelia

Be careful, or she'll put you on ignore!
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #67
Stormtrooper of Death

[quote=JCC] in the lyrics of Minor Threat to the babblings of sXe punks, QUOTE]

I'm going to stop you right there cowboy. Don't pin this all on Minor Threat. S.O.A was earlier and helped found it, along with Government Issue and The Teen Idles. I noticed you were talking about how militant it is. You can thank two of my favorite bands for that:

SS Decontrol
D.Y.S

That's all I got, just thought I'd straighten everthing out for you!

Back to the point though, I'm backing out of this conversation, it's gotten way out of hand, the point is, some people choose to not drink or do drugs or have sex, some people choose to do the opposite, so what? We're all human, get used to the world.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #68
badteccy

Quote:
So...do you feel like a whore or do you just appear as one?
Ha, that's awful.
Almost as awful as having a boyfriend and girlfriend AT THE SAME TIME.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:09 PM   #69
Godslayer Jillian

There's nothing wrong with polygamy.
What I find disturbing is this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying_Crimson_Tears (out of the fucking blue)
Hey I got a girlfriend.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #70
Extraordinary

Damn Crimson Tears, you're gettin' torn up. Maybe you should just make up your mind already!

yay! monogamy! ^________^
Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #71
Stormtrooper of Death

So CCT decided to let people know that she had a girlfriend, so what?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #72
Godslayer Jillian

In this thread, I agree with you. But in another pointless thread, about a pointless rant from a pointless member, she just said (out of the fucking blue) 'hey I have a girlfriend' expecting congratulations of some sorts.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 06-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #73
Stormtrooper of Death

Well ok, gotcha now. But I still congraduate her.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #74
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Be careful, or she'll pretend to put you on ignore!
Fix'd.

Carry on.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:11 AM   #75
badteccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
There's nothing wrong with polygamy.
What I find disturbing is this:
I suppose not if it's all consenting adults, but with adolescents and teens things are bound to get tricky.